Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Makes iPhone Model Using China's WiFi Standard

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Makes iPhone Model Using China's WiFi Standard

One of the main sticking points - other than its exorbitant price - blocking wider acceptance of the officially-sanctioned iPhone in China has apparently been removed: the national regulatory agency has approved a new phone compatible with China's own WAPI wireless standard. The government of China had blocked the sale of WiFi-enabled iPhones by China Unicom, though grey-market iPhones with WiFi have been available in China for some time.

The Chinese government initially developed WLAN Authentication and Privacy Infrastructure (WAPI) purportedly as a way to overcome the flaws in Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), which was easily cracked by US law enforcement officials in about 3 minutes back in 2005. The Chinese standard was rejected by the International Standards Organization as the [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS4[/ame] block cipher it was based upon was a Chinese military secret, so it could not be independently validated. Attempts to require that all foreign WLAN gear sold in China must implement WAPI almost touched off a trade war in 2004. The government did require in 2009, however, that all mobile devices sold in China must use WAPI. As a result, the iPhones officially sold by China Unicom since last year have not had WiFi capability.

PCWorld noted today that the State Radio Monitoring Center website shows a Chinese government frequency-use application for a previously-unknown Apple phone with the designator A1303. The device, which shows GSM/WCDMA frequencies identical to the iPhone's, is listed as being WAPI-compatible. The network access license was granted April 26.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 05-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lmfaoo cracked in 3 minutes. I find that to funny

china, just give up

Quote Originally Posted by Prox View Post
    cracked faster than a mac
    Last edited by whereswaldo; 05-04-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This must mean if they use any security or protection it's on a gameboy level and just a toy.

yep, 3 minutes if you are kinda close to the AP and if it has the 64bit WEP encryption, the obe that almost all US routers have.

I personally use wpa-psk (=

so, it's made in china...

*********************ger

Quote Originally Posted by Prox View Post
    Why? I crack 'em faster than that on my Acer Aspire one (Atheros chipset for packet injection/ARP attack). "Too funny"

So I wonder if this was the model of iPhone that was originally thought to be a verizon iPhone? Didn't they find signs of a second iPhone in the file system of 4.0?

Thanks

Wait, where in the article does it say the Chinese WEP was cracked in three minutes. It just says:
    At a recent ISSA (Information Systems Security Association) meeting in Los Angeles, a team of FBI agents demonstrated current WEP-cracking techniques and broke a 128 bit WEP key in about three minutes.

the SMS4 cipher was declassified in 2006...WAPI is a bit old it was developed in 2003...my guess it that WPA2 tops it