Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve versus Theora

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Steve versus Theora

According to an email sent by an increasingly talkative Steve Jobs on Friday, Apple is assembling a "patent pool" - sort of an intellectual property supergroup - to go after open source video codecs that they feel infringe on private patents. As part of Jobs's crusade to get developers to drop Flash in favor of the H.264 video standard, he's brought on a key ally in Microsoft, which sent out a similar message in a blog post last week.

The Theora codec is a free video compression format which derives from the VP3 format developed by On2 Technologies. On2 opened the source code to VP3 back in 2002 and then donated it to the Xiph.Org Foundation, and made an irrevocable license-free grant for any patent claims. They stopped development of VP3 and worked with Xiph.Org to release Theora completely royalty-free. H.264, on the other hand, is closed source and the license is only royalty-free until 2015. Developers fear that once H.264 is accepted as a de facto standard, the patent holders will demand royalties from every product that implements it.

Apple and Microsoft have intimated, without proving that this is the case, that the Theora codec derives from patented technology. In an email to Hugo Roy of the Free Software Foundation Europe, Steve Jobs asserted that "All video codecs are covered by patents." Much of this concern is thought to come from the so-called "patent thicket" which surrounds the MPEG-2 standard: over 640 patents are involved in the basic technology. Xiph.Org, for its part, asserts that this is not so, labeling it a way of spreading "FUD" (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) among developers considering the standard. Lead developer Gregory Maxwell is claiming that Theora avoided these pitfalls "by rejecting the taint of encumbered technology, and accepting the challenges and compromises that come from doing so."

Clearly, Apple and Microsoft and the rest of their patent posse believe that they can prove otherwise. Whatever the truth may be, there is certainly an imbalance of legal firepower between the industry giants and the free software campaigners.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Great! Apple and stupid patent related stuff.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Apple really will take over the world on day :/

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    Apple really will take over the world on day :/
    the world? they won't settle for the world, they want the universe
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

They aint taking over mexico! Nobody gives a crap about apple here. We like our comps to be fully loaded with pirated apps. Cant do that with macs so easily...someone say el macintoch??

Quote Originally Posted by George Lopez View Post
    They aint taking over mexico! Nobody gives a crap about apple here. We like our comps to be fully loaded with pirated apps. Cant do that with macs so easily...someone say el macintoch??
    So, so funny!

I hate apple now

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    I hate apple now
    There's an app for that
    kwickone I.T.H.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwickone For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-03-2010), SAVAGE5 (05-03-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    There's an app for that
    Even funnier!
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

Appl£ will be filing a patent for air soon just because they use it to cool there product, well not all(macbook Pro 17")
    Last edited by dsg; 05-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.

"there's an app for that"

lmao word!

Thanks

And that's why Mexican people live in the 3rd world
    To live, you have to lie

Apple = Evil

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfudvs View Post
    "there's an app for that"

lmao word!
    According to Apple, there's an app for everything
    But the 'fine print' states: limited to apps "we" want you to use!

Hope you're from Europe because America sure as he'll isn't a first world anything. How we haven't imploded yet amazes me.

Every day I read something about Apple, I like them less and less. I love my iPhone, I love it even more Jailbroken. But you know...

I am really really REALLY starting to get a bad taste in my mouth with Steve Jobs and his totalitarian, draconian ways.

However, I don't think that they are going to win. I think that when all is said and the mobile device war is done, I believe that Google will emerge the victor.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

*edit*Sorry did not see that it was a quote...lol

Apple's being too much of a whiny B**** lately. I'm starting to dislike them...

Thanks

Oh man...this will never end.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    I hate apple now
    me too! to think i was once head over heels for them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast