+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4th Gen iPhone Getting 5MP Camera from LG Innotek

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Late Wednesday evening, news from the Far East began indicating that Korea's LG Innotek will be the formal supplier of 5-megapixel camera sensors in the 4th generation iPhone that may
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default 4th Gen iPhone Getting 5MP Camera from LG Innotek

Late Wednesday evening, news from the Far East began indicating that Korea's LG Innotek will be the formal supplier of 5-megapixel camera sensors in the 4th generation iPhone that may be introduced in a matter of weeks - perhaps even earlier than the initial late-June time frame. In the wake of the iPhone-Gizmodo debacle, some think Apple may get the "show on the road" sooner than expected.

The Chosun reports that LG Innotek has already started to produce the cameras and will begin "mass producing" them in the second half of 2010, after the new iPhone is officially unveiled. Naturally, the bump up to 5-megapixels will be significant and is widely anticipated by Apple fans who have long complained that the picture quality provided by the iPhone is sub-par in comparison to the high bar the device sets in other aspects for modern smartphones.

"Upgrading to a 5-megapixel camera will bring the handset into line with that offered by Google's Nexus One."
    It had been previously reported (by Rodman and Renshaw brokerage analyst Ashok Kumar) that the new iPhone would get a 5-megapixel camera with OmniVision as the supplier. They also hinted that the 4th gen model could debut at WWDC 2010. It now appears that only half of those predictions may come true, as all signs point to LG Innotek serving up the cameras for the new iPhone that could very well roll out June 7th at the start of WWDC 2010.

In addition to a new 5-megapixel camera, the next gen iPhone is also expected to deliver some form of camera flash functionality - at least that's what the evidence gleaned within the iPhone 4.0 SDK suggests.

Source: Gizmodo

Green Apple
    Thanks

nice, but I still think that the model looks bad compare to the previous one =(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to finalfantasy_lkta For This Useful Post:

prankz55 (04-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy_lkta View Post
    Remember that this is the prototype - The production units may be a uni-body like the current iPhone 3G models. It may in some ways resemble with what was leaked.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I LOVE the new look. How can you not? It looks so much more professional.. Like the first gen iPhone did with the aluminum casing! I hope it stays this way.

Thanks
    Default 5 mp??
    Only 5mp?? Most smartphones have 8mp and they are only gonna throw 5 on the new iPhone?

Thanks

About time. Pretty unsatisfied with image quality on my iPhone, let alone lack of flash. That alone makes this pretty desirable.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't expect a prototype, or pre-release to actually resemble the final product.... Come on people!!! Stop criticizing the looks of a device that hasn't even been confirmed. It's what's inside that counts!!! Don't get me wrong here... I love beautiful women, even if they're dumb as a rock! But we're talking about a new iPhone.... Quite a bit of difference here. I can't wait to see what is actually released.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GellBrake'rrrr For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (04-29-2010), sk8ertim (04-29-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    Don't expect a prototype, or pre-release to actually resemble the final product.... Come on people!!! Stop criticizing the looks of a device that hasn't even been confirmed. It's what's inside that counts!!! Don't get me wrong here... I love beautiful women, even if they're dumb as a rock! But we're talking about a new iPhone.... Quite a bit of difference here. I can't wait to see what is actually released.
    +1

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

As some have said on other sites, mp doesn't equal quality. Lens and processing have a lot to do with quality pics.

I hope that is the final iPhone design, I freakin love it.

Thanks

How could you not like the prototype look? The last one (3G & 3GS) straight up looks cheap and out of place from all the other apple products. I really loved the look and feel of my first gen iphone over my 3g and 3gs. Most would agree with me.

As for the 5 mp camera, about time apple I had a 5 mp camera on my Nokia N95 3 years ago.
    useful? hit the thanks button!

Thanks

I totally agree with you ...
    I have to think if i will buy that iPhone ....
    No APPLE cant do such mistakes ... Gosh !!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    As some have said on other sites, mp doesn't equal quality. Lens and processing have a lot to do with quality pics.

I hope that is the final iPhone design, I freakin love it.
    100% agree!! I mean people think the more megapixels the better quality you get but there are a lot of other factors.

And as for the design I love it, I was tired of the old 3G design. The new design is better and it's more like the new macs.

And this is a prototype of course there's gonna be some little changes here and there, like I would like the sides to be brushed metal but bit more shiny, not chrome though...scratches too easily. And maybe make it flush on the front.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noop View Post
    How could you not like the prototype look? The last one (3G & 3GS) straight up looks cheap and out of place from all the other apple products. I really loved the look and feel of my first gen iphone over my 3g and 3gs. Most would agree with me.

As for the 5 mp camera, about time apple I had a 5 mp camera on my Nokia N95 3 years ago.
    now the latest multitouch Nokia incorporates a 12mp camera with Carls Zeis lens/large cmos sensor and xenon flash. I bet it takes pictures/720p video as good as stand alone ones.

Thanks

Only 5 mp? Yawn

What's Jailbreak? triniflavaforya's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey I really didn't like this new "I" design,,,but it has grown on me over the last few posts!!!....the finished product should be a bit more polished for sure!..the only thing is here in Trinidad & Tobago our 2 Carriers (Digicel & Bmobile) don't use that mini Sim! So I guess I may not be able to get the new Iphone! and currently I'm stuck with this Locked 3GS "Iphone Ipod" lol!!......but I'm keeping the faith!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purpl3_bug View Post
    Only 5mp?? Most smartphones have 8mp and they are only gonna throw 5 on the new iPhone?
    *sigh* Its not about the MegaPixels people.
    The Megapixel Myth (Just google, you'll find many more)

5MP is more than enough. "MP"s are a sales term which the masses grab onto as if its the defining factor of a camera.
    Its really quite annoying.

Im not saying it has -nothing- to do with megapixels - but its not the defining comparison factor.
    Ive seen 3MP camera's with better quality than 5MP cameras.

Other factors to consider:
    - CCD chip
    - Lens

Of course, you can imagine trying to get this through the masses heads - so for marketing purposes, companies just boast their MP count.

Whats even more annoying is when its become such an MP war that it starts affecting the end product. Case in point, the new Canon 130is, has 14MP as opposed to its predecessor the Canon 120is (12MP) and they used the same internals (basically).
    What happened? the 130is takes worse photo's than the 120is. I wont get into details - go read a review for that, but basically the CCD has to handle a bigger resolution now with the same chip and so it doesnt cope so well.

Here's to hoping I've opened the eyes of some

// vent
    Last edited by SupaMonkey; 04-29-2010 at 06:04 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SupaMonkey For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (04-29-2010), headcheese (04-29-2010), hollow0 (04-29-2010), Poseidon79 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

true that

my samsung impression only has 3MP, but it's good enough that the pictures it takes can be used for a background for my 24 in desktop background.

Thanks

Exactly - thats all you need really

Im just hoping for an upgrade in the lens / a flash and hopefully a better ccd. 5MP is more than enough. Anyone who thinks different should be looking at getting a DSLR.

Its a phone - not a camera people!
    mod edit/links removed

Thanks

If this is true when my phone contract expires on August 7 i will go to a Rogers Store and say "iPhone, White, 32GB, NOW!"
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It doesn't matter anyway... megapixels only count when resizing pictures... not image quality. The current iphone has pretty good picture quality already with its current resolution.