+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palm Sells Out to Hewlett Packard : Apple's Newest Competitor

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
from a rooting stand point, more interested to mod a slate than an ipad would much rather have an actual OS to strip down and mod than an upscale version
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

from a rooting stand point, more interested to mod a slate than an ipad

would much rather have an actual OS to strip down and mod than an upscale version of my cellphone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

WebOS is a cellphone OS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallicafan1991 View Post
    ^lol isn't that what the ipad and wepad are?
    ba-zing!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

we will wait and see doubt it will be a competitor anytime soon

Green Apple
    Thanks

In my opinion, webOS is pretty superior to iPhone OS in a lot of ways. And for all you guys that love modding your phones, Palm allows jailbreaking and has an active developer community for mods.

I'll be the first person jumping ship when Palm/HP announces a phone with an iPhone-sized screen.

Thanks

If they even continue web OS. They could just drop it cold.

Thanks

HP hardware is pretty good, but their software sucks ***...
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!

Green Apple
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Jahooba;5218309
    Oh, and get this, because webOS is based on Linux, some gurus have already figured out how to overclock it! There's an 800Mhz kernel floating around (up from 500Mhz!). [/QUOTE]

Standby time - 3.5 minutes
    Talk time - 45 seconds

Thanks

I doubt webos will make it's way onto a tablet, hp's pretty clear that a full functioning os beats out a cellphone os

I'd rather mod windows 7 than webos or iPhone sdk

I don't think hp will compete well in the smartphone catagory, I see them being more competitive in this new tablet market, I would love to replace my notebook with a tablet, can't justify buying a tablet to go along with my phone netbook and home pc

Thanks

I recently handled a Pre for the first time, and was happy I stuck with Apple. I didn't like it at all. I know that for some, the Pre is awesome, but for me it was terrible. Like ProSwitcher, for example, actually implements a better UI for switching between backgrounded apps (not to mention the help of Activator for invocation) than what the Pre does.

That aside, why didn't HTC pick up Palm? HP? I mean really? Is there anyone in the mobile world that felt the least bit threatened by this? If HTC bought out Palm, then there would be competition. HTC delivers some of the most spec'd out handsets on the market, and their only downfall was Android really. Granted Android will be pretty sweet when it gets the Angel Cake update, in a few years. Palm definitely failed with the pre, however they have an OS that for some reason, people like. Take it and run with it! HP doesn't need to make WebOS slates for me to laugh at, it's okay. I get enough enjoyment from the Droid commercials
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I recently handled a Pre for the first time, and was happy I stuck with Apple. I didn't like it at all. I know that for some, the Pre is awesome, but for me it was terrible. Like ProSwitcher, for example, actually implements a better UI for switching between backgrounded apps (not to mention the help of Activator for invocation) than what the Pre does.
    You should own one for a while, even if it didn't convert you completely, you would at least have respect for it. The power of the iPhone comes not entirely from its hardware or OS, but mostly from developer support. Palm software and hardware would be absolutely amazing if it only had the kind of support that Apple does.

I didn't know what to expect from webOS before I bought a Pre. I had "handled" a Pre at one point beforehand, but that taught me nothing of what it was like to use one (ever heard of the saying, "To judge a book by it's cover..?"). I had an iPod Touch for a year, so I went into it thinking I knew a thing or two about smart devices, but I was very surprised to learn how intuitive and 'right' the Palm Pre felt and operated, once I figured out what was what.

There are a couple hardware issues that it had (that were fixed with a patch), but other than that I love it. I can't wait until developers start making more apps for it, or better hardware comes out. Personally I would love a landscape keyboard for the Pre2.

I'll give WebOS it's time in the sun, and then maybe move on to Android to see how that feels. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to be a "Lifer" when it comes to an operating system. I want to try them all. Tell you what, though... with Apple it's "been there, done that." I don't think I'd want to own another Apple device. Unless of course I can boot Android onto it, because the Apple hardware is exceptionally well-built.

Thanks

Wanna see what HP can cook up.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12