+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gizmodo May File Suit Over iPhone Police Raid

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you thought the drama was over once deputies from the San Mateo County Sheriff's office obtained a search warrant last weekend to raid the home of Gizmodo's Jason Chen
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Gizmodo May File Suit Over iPhone Police Raid

If you thought the drama was over once deputies from the San Mateo County Sheriff's office obtained a search warrant last weekend to raid the home of Gizmodo's Jason Chen, think again. It seems the fallout from iPhone-gate is spreading faster than ash from that volcano in Iceland.

Today, legal representatives for Gizmodo - and by legal representatives, I mean a high-paid lawyers ready to sue the pants off somebody - are suggesting that Gizmodo may potentially file suit against the San Mateo County sheriff's office in response to the raid of Chen's home on Friday evening. Authorities, as we all know, continue investigating how the hijacked new iPhone model became the center of a very public media firestorm.

Thomas R. Burke, an attorney specializing in media law at the offices of Davis Wright Tremaine, told CNET this morning that the search and seizure at Jason Chen's home did not reflect the "appropriate method" for authorities to embrace in this situation. In a nutshell, Burke used a whole lot of legalese to state what we've already heard from other critics of the raid - that the controversial search warrant "violated a journalist shield law designed to limit searches of newsrooms."

San Mateo County prosecutors, however, have acknowledged that they were well aware of the aforementioned "shield law" before the raid was launched. In fact, authorities behind the search and seizure claim to have carefully weighed all options and thoroughly thought through the appropriateness and legality of the raid before it was undertaken.

Something tells me this story is about to get a lot more interesting... and uglier.

Image via scrapetv

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can't wait for the black eye Apple will get from all of this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone redwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone nexgen...delay?

but yes, Gizmodo FTW
    ModMy

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

......and rightly so in my opinion.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Seriously? Gizmodo purchased stolen property that they knew did not belong to the seller and advertised it as just that. You can't do that. I hope Gizmodo goes down from this whole thing.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Roflllllllllllllllllllll

@ Billchase2, Gizmodo actually purchased an iPhone thought to believe a fake to tinker around with and during that process it was known that they did purchase a prototype. The seller would be accused too if Gizmodo knew it was a iphone 4g, but they didn't. Finders Keepers (for a little bit & give back), seems acceptable doesn't it? I mean they could tear the whole enchilada down to ingredients but they didn't. And that apple summon-search (probably behind the table pay) caused stupid sheriffs to invade his place with him doing no harm to no body is so wrong. It was Apple & Grey's fault, not Gizmodos.
    Last edited by FiLLYBoii; 04-28-2010 at 02:06 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiLLYBoii For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (04-28-2010), vantheman169 (04-28-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i really hope they see this whole thing through to be honest .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i support Gizmodo for this, i'm tired of Apple trying to sue everyone standing in their way, or standing NEAR their path.

When You have a bit of luck, it's time not to go too far, because the ledge might be right ahead.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Go gizmo, it's your birthday

Green Apple
    Thanks

billchase2, both the person who found the phone and gizmodo contacted Apple to tell them they had the proto-type. The Apple reps they reached told them they were not missing a proto-type as higher ups did not inform Apple employees that they were in fact missing the proto-type. You can't blame the finder or gizmodo for this, they tried to return it to the rightful owner and were turned away. The whole thing is getting out of hand now. I'm just looking forward to July when I can get my hands on one (and be able to keep it), hopefully Apple will launch it immediately after the official announcement but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thanks

Based on what i read in the past article about how bloggers are journalists and what i saw on LikeTotalyAwesome (they said that Chen left a note in his house to the police informing them about the law that stops them from raiding him) he better sue
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

SUE!!!!!! Just be nice see someone else besides Apple suing everyone. Was the phone stolen or left behind? So many conflicting stories.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Go giz!!! Show apple who's boss!

Thanks

How great would it be to have the audience at WWDC on June 7th all unbutton their shirts and reveal their Gizmodo t-shirts with a picture of the new iPhone right before steve anounces it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

even if it was "found" and not stolen, that does not give you the right of owner to the thing you found. I know this from personal experience... I found something at work and waited MONTHS for someone to call for it, no one did so I took it before it was thrown away. I llisted it on ebay and the original owner saw it and bought it to get my info and then, I got cops knoking on the door for dealing with stolen property...

you find something, you better leave it behind or take it to the police station, not to a magazine or anywhere else to try to find the owner... that's B.S. the founder just wanted money for it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well i studied law in senior year of high school, I remember there was a term for buying stolen property while knowing it was stolen, which in fact is a crime in any state. Even though people think that Gizmodo should file a counter law suit against apple I doubt that they are going to win.

I said stolen property, so IDK if it was "STOLEN" or "FOUND". There is the difference that could set this case apart. What approach Gizmodo will take, IDK.

Thanks

I can't wait for this to pan out.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FiLLYBoii View Post
    Roflllllllllllllllllllll

@ Billchase2, Gizmodo actually purchased an iPhone thought to believe a fake to tinker around with and during that process it was known that they did purchase a prototype. The seller would be accused too if Gizmodo knew it was a iphone 4g, but they didn't. Finders Keepers (for a little bit & give back), seems acceptable doesn't it? I mean they could tear the whole enchilada down to ingredients but they didn't. And that apple summon-search (probably behind the table pay) caused stupid sheriffs to invade his place with him doing no harm to no body is so wrong. It was Apple & Grey's fault, not Gizmodos.
    Purchased a fake to tinker with? Nobody would spend $5000 on a phone they thought was fake. Nobody.

Gizmodo knew the iphone was property that didn't belong to the"college guy" who found it. They also knew they would get a ridiculous amount of coverage and a huge readership for the story.

I mean, have you seen Gizmodo.com?
    "The iPhone 4G saga"

They squeezed every drop they could out of this story - first the possibly fake blurry images, then the big breaking story, then a teardown, then the lost & found story, then apple asking for it back, then another teardown... and it doesn't stop!

The editors at Giz new the epic story they would get out of the prototype iPhone.

If this college guy lived in silicon valley, surely he could just pop round to Cupertino? Or even pop it in the mail?

Or... as anyone else with morals would do - hand the phone in at the bar.

Both the college guy and gizmodo deserve whatever they get.

Hopefully, their asses get handed to them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to iest For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (04-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I highly doubt that Apple will release the new iPhone early. Because they way I see it is; Apple is already on a tight manufacturing schedule. Meaning that they will have the number of iPhones that they plan to release, WHEN they originally planned to release. I'm pretty they can't just tell the factories where they make the iPhone to bring their order of one million iPhones up a month just because a blogger posted some pictures of it. Yes, I understand that this will reduce hype for the iPhone (among non-avid readers of tech news that is ) but you have to consider everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

haha. I hope they do. serves apple right.

Twitter: @tshoults