Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Acquires Siri "Personal Search Assistant" : Google Search Replacement

Default Apple Acquires Siri "Personal Search Assistant" : Google Search Replacement

We've all seen the feud going on between Google and Apple, and it appears that Apple has upped the ante and the deal they had made earlier with Siri has been reported to be confirmed. Although details of the deal are still being discussed, it's likely this is a done deal. Siri raised $24 million during it's time in business, leading analysts to believe that Apple may have paid between $100 million to $200 million. It's noteworthy to mention that Google, in a similar venture, spent $50 million on Aardvark, a Social Search engine.

Back in February, Paul wrote about an app called Siri, dubbed as "your iPhone Secretary". The app came loaded with speech recognition, and could pretty much assist you with anything you needed via voice control.

There's a new way to get things done. Just Ask Siri. No more endless clicking on links and pages to get things done on the Internet. Delegate the work to Siri and relax while Siri takes care of it for you.
    Need a table for 2 at your favorite restaurant next Thursday?
    Just ask Siri.
    Need a taxi right now?
    Just ask Siri and with a single request the cab's on its way.
    Type or speak... it’s up to you. Siri acts on your behalf utilizing the best services on the web. Simply put: it’s the new way to get things done.
    This may not seem like big news, but it is indeed an important step forward in Apple obvious plan to dominate and devour the competitors by almost eliminating the possibility of the "personal assistant" technology from being introduce to it's competitors, more directly, Google and the Android system.

Not only have they acquired Siri, but this almost a clear sign of what Apple has planned in terms of separating from Google, and creating their own Search engine to be used by default by the iPhone OS and possibly Mac OS. The fight between Google and Apple just seems to get deeper and deeper, however, with the recent port of the android operating system to the iPhone, things could get pretty messy. Although I have to admit, it's pretty ironic considering.

So what's the big deal? Well if you refer to the Google purchase of Aardvark, and the battle between Google and Apple, one can speculate that this is an attempt to have a concrete search platform that Apple can embed into their OS without having to commit to Google, further pushing Google and Apple apart.

What are your thoughts?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjpVAB06O4[/ame]

Sources: [ Mashable, Aardvark, Siri ]
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-28-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Android will still take over the world

Quote Originally Posted by applekid80 View Post
    and when it does, ill use openboot and have both

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this app is really awesome! it'd be nice to have it as the default search engine!

Google is a really good search engine. If Siri (sounds so feminine) is as good or better, then I will use it, if not, I won't.

Interesting. I've used Siri a few times but haven't been too impressed. Hopefully Apple can make something better out of it.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

I'll still prefer google....siri looks nice though

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

this app inst available in the uk yet
    chris pirillo made a video on youtube about it a few days ago and when i searched then i had nothing pop up and i still don't
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Well I use Google and will continue to use Google for searches.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So Apple first starts by courting AMD, a second place company, then starts to blow off the largest search company in the world because of some Jobs hussy fit.

Maybe senility is creeping in on old Jobs?

just tested out siri it worked right on point 100%

the app is sick
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    So Apple first starts by courting AMD, ?
    that was nothing but a rumour .. i'd lay off the good stuff for a couple of hours, then you will see that this is what businesses do; protect themselves, especially if they find themselves heavily dependant on the competition (that would be google).

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Why did google buy a search engine?? Lol

can someone tell Nick (the article writer) that they didn't "up the anti". they "upped the ante"

we shouldn't be dependent upon spellcheck.

spelling police!....sorry

it's "feud" not "fued" =P

although this does look cool, what if it's noisy? or if it's in a quiet place, and i don't want to sing to my iphone?

not to mention, using google is just faster, this is more of a flashy gimmick.

Default not for me
    Quote Originally Posted by applekid80 View Post
    ... just like Winblows did on desktops, although I will happily stay with OSX/iPhone OS, thank you!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    although this does look cool, what if it's noisy? or if it's in a quiet place, and i don't want to sing to my iphone?

not to mention, using google is just faster, this is more of a flashy gimmick.
    You're able to type in stuff in Siri.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been praying for the day things got easier than "googling" it