+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Evidence of Video Chat in iPhone 4.0 SDK

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Following the hardly earth-shattering but welcome news that the fourth-generation iPhone will feature a front-facing camera, there's some further hints as to the uses Apple has in mind for the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default More Evidence of Video Chat in iPhone 4.0 SDK

Following the hardly earth-shattering but welcome news that the fourth-generation iPhone will feature a front-facing camera, there's some further hints as to the uses Apple has in mind for the camera in the iPhone OS 4 Beta 2 SDK, which was released last week. Video conferencing - possibly integrated with Apple's upcoming Game Center service - is, of course, on tap. Less welcome is the suggestion that video chatting will be supported over WiFi only, not over 3G data connections, and code snippets that indicate a device must be "registered" in order for video conferencing to be enabled.

MacRumors dug through files in the SDK distribution and turned up a number of interesting status and error messages, all discussing "video conferencing" and "video calls." The error messages describing how dropped calls and misaddressed conferences would be handled give the clearest picture yet of how Apple intends to support video communications on devices with the hardware to handle it. First, as the ACCOUNTNOTREGISTEREDMESSAGE string contains “This device has not been registered for video conferencing,” it appears that Apple will require a separate account - possibly with a service fee - to make use of the feature. And the "could not connect" and "disconnected" error strings contain only references to WiFi:

Code:
    IMAVCHATCOULDNOTCONNECTNOREMOTEWIFI = “The video call could not connect because a remote Wi-Fi connection could not be established.”; 

IMAVCHATDISCONNECTEDNOLOCAL_WIFI = “The video call disconnected because the local Wi-Fi connection was lost.”;
    If Apple intended to support 3G calling, one would expect to see error strings for "no service" or "poor service." Looks like using video chat over 3G in iPhone 4.0 is going to require some clever workarounds.

Apple's recently-announced Game Center service will, however, apparently support some kind of video communication features, as there are a raft of IMAV identifiers used for various error strings such as:

Code:
    IMAVCHATERRORNOSUCHPLAYERID = “No Such Player ID”; 

IMAVCHATERRORNOSUCHACHIEVEMENT = “No Such Achievement”; 

IMAVCHATERRORUNRECOGNIZEDGAMEDESCRIPTIONHEADERS = “Unrecognised Game Descriptor Headers”; 

IMAVCHATERRORNOSUCHGAME = “No Such Game”;
    An Apple analyst predicted last week that Apple would use video-enabled gaming to "create a compelling and very sticky subscription service." Ezra Gottheil, a senior analyst with Technology Business Research, said that he thought that Apple was going to go big with the new service: "They seem to be saying that there's more to the next quarter than the introduction of a new iPhone," he told Computerworld.

image via MacRumors
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-27-2010 at 03:56 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Cant wait for the new iphone. Any how here in Mexico we need a few more weeks for release.
    Last edited by nautical79; 05-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Thanks

It looks nice but wait til they release it then we will see the sad part of it all.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

wifi only? that's kinda whack.
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

Thanks

"Evidence" Really?? I mean yeah it's a neat find...but the phone HAS A CAMERA ON THE FRONT OF IT. If that wasn't enough evidence to close the case then someone has a case of chronic skepticism.

Thanks

I think phone makers and phone software makers are screwed until all the 4G networks become nationwide, because there really isn't too many things left to do with smart phones anymore, unless they have a wifi-like connection such as WiMax. This is a good example.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Only wifi?! Hopefully My3G or 3G Unrestrictor will fix that lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    wifi only? that's kinda whack.
    Can you even imagine the latency if it were for 3G? While I always say "give them the option," it doesn't seem practical.

Thanks

^ why half *** a feature like that? Either do it right or don't even bring it to the table.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

3G simply doesn't have the bandwidth to support video chat without making too large a sacrifice in quality. They could offer it, but it would bog down the network and the quality would still be garbage. WiFi only is a much better solution. Video 'texting' would be much more practical, say with a 30 second per clip limitation. That'd be cool. Even a better way to send voice messages would welcome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone playboii's Avatar
    Thanks

wow if they do not feature video conference phone calls this would suck major D*CK! if its only feature for the game services then I would have no use for it. other then then video calls while on wifi would be more understandable because then we could just use mywi to make the calls and ALSO this would reduce people trying to know where you are 24/7 by asking you to turn on the video call on command. so this is actually good because not everyone is always on wifi and not everyone knows how to jailbreak and run it with mywi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Video 'texting' would be much more practical, say with a 30 second per clip limitation. That'd be cool. Even a better way to send voice messages would welcome.
    That would be REALLY neat. I actually heard that some cell phone carriers are in the process of developing a brand-new "voice chat" feature, where you can actually speak to and listen to another person and have full conversations with them. It seems like it would be much faster, personal, and natural than texting or instant messaging, too! Absolutely revolutionary!

Thanks

front facing cameras aren't that great, my current phone has one and they are normally bad quality + you rarely use them
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can't wait for that, only thing is...how much extra is it going to cost? :/
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^What? I take it your being sarcastic lol. That was a really stupid post by politicalslug.

FYI the networks do not revolve around AT&T, just because they can't handle video calling, doesn't mean networks here can't. Video calling won't be an everyday thing anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    That would be REALLY neat. I actually heard that some cell phone carriers are in the process of developing a brand-new "voice chat" feature, where you can actually speak to and listen to another person and have full conversations with them. It seems like it would be much faster, personal, and natural than texting or instant messaging, too! Absolutely revolutionary!
    Isnt that just calling someone? Or am I missing sarcasim?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why does everyone act so surprised? Hasn't apple's trend always been give the people what they want little by little? Example.... Even though it was possible, they never enabled mms on iPhone 2g! Yes the technology is at apple's fingertips but they simply put it off to get more people to buy their new/upgraded product? This along with how many others mentioned before me that the AT&T 3G network doesn't seem to be able to handle this kind of bandwidth consumption. Yes it makes sense to allow it via WIFI only. A new feature is a new feature. Hell I wouldn't doubt it if they didn't include iChat functionality right away. Don't act so suprised peeps it's a different day same ol' **** at Apple!

Also @ MetallicaFan
    Haven't you noticed that it really does all fall back on ATT? The iPhone's features revolve around the U.S. ATT ability to support it. Chances are if its not possible in the U.S. then they are not gonna make it usable for other countries?
    Last edited by scatman10; 04-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slbenficaboy View Post
    Isnt that just calling someone? Or am I missing sarcasim?

Then again, the best sarcasm is that which is so good, it goes over others' heads.

Thanks

I want to know know if all phones will be able to accept video calls or will it be device specific
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS