Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nearly One-Third Of All First Generation iPhones Remain in Use

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Nearly One-Third Of All First Generation iPhones Remain in Use

The first generation iPhone seems so "yesterday," doesn't it? To some smartphone users among us, however, yesterday's biggest thing is still working just fine today. That's according to the findings from Admob, which suggest that nearly one-third of all first generation iPhones are still alive and well this very moment.

While that number sounds substantial, it must be viewed in perspective of the entire mobile phone landscape. In this regard, only 2% of all iPhone OS handsets operational today are first-gen iPhones. Nonetheless, that figure translates to about 30% of the better than 6 million iPhones sold during the smartphone's first full year of release, beginning in June 2007.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's roughly 2 million "old-school" iPhones. On CNNMoney, Fortune Brainstorm Tech's Philip Elmer-DeWitt added: "If 7% of those iPhone 1Gs are driving 2% of AdMob's traffic, that suggests that nearly one in three is still ticking and visiting the Web."

While its fun to reflect on the data still being cranked out in reference to the earliest iPhone model, it's important to keep in mind the most pertinent information gleaned from AdMob's monthly report. According to AdMob's findings, the iPhone 3GS has emerged as "the dominant device among iPhones and iPod Touches." The iPhone 3GS is responsible for generating nearly 40% of all its network's traffic last month. That represents a 30% jump since just last September.

Image via AdMob

To think that 2% is that many people....

Yeah I just read this off of yahoo. Kind of weird that people actually haven't upgraded

I haven't upgraded =/

Thanks

iPod Touch 2G's in second place? w00t!

yep!!! 2g user here.....waiting for 4g iphone that is if it can be jailbroken otherwise I'll stick with my good'ol 2g iphone.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm sure a lot of these are on T-Mobile. These customers have no reason to upgrade since they will only get Edge anyways.

I just cant wait for the new iphone i didnt really like the first iphone. My 3g is still my baby but cant wait for more speed from the new one,my upgrade has been ready for two months.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

I upgraded...but in a completely different way. After the battery stopped working I bought a zune. I don't know about other people but I refused to upgrade until apple did an upgrade that was actually good, not something half assed that should have already been on the 1st gen.

Im still using 2g. Why upgrade to 3g

Quote Originally Posted by WTFDANG <3 View Post
    Yeah I just read this off of yahoo. Kind of weird that people actually haven't upgraded
    I upgraded to the 3Gs, gave my 3G to the wife, who then took the SIM out of her 1G, and gave it to my daughter, who upgraded from the lousy LG.
    Now the daughter is the envy of her crowd.
    See?
    Upgrades for all.

Yes, because why would you pay all that money and use the iPod Touch? Its like buying a BMW without leather seats! Why not spend just a pinch more (less if you are upgrading) and get an iPod + Phone?

And it is reasonable that a substantial amount of the 2G iPhones are still out there - the users are comprised of those that use the phone as just a phone, those that bought old 2G's from those of us that upgraded, those that are not yet up for an upgrade, or those that just don't have the money to get a new expensive phone.

With a little know how... you can sell your old phone, upgrade with AT&T, and get the newest iPhone and actually have money left over! Thats what I did!

tim

Green Apple
    Thanks

I still use my iPhone 2G as a regular phone but I've dead pixels and scratches :-/

I want to know how much traffic is from unknown iPhone's searching the web

Quote Originally Posted by WTFDANG <3 View Post
    My friend has an iPhone 2G. And he's upgrading this summer to the iPhone HD. For $200. Not $600.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    2G is still an awesome phone. It's slow but that is relative.

Yeah, I've never understood why people slag the 2G. It's better made than the 3G, has a more powerful wifi antenna, and is easily modded. In the vast parts of the world (and even the US) that don't have a 3G network, it is a better phone than the 3G. I skipped the 3G and upgraded from 2G to 3GS, which in my view was a much more worthwhile upgrade. Now, while my 3GS awaits the new jailbreak, I am back using my old 2G. It's like an old friend-- I cut my JB teeth on it, and it is modded in just about every way possible--truly customized just as I would like it. I'll probably always keep as a testing platform.

I still use my iTouch 1g. everything game runs on it so i don't gonna upgrade

Thanks

So what happened with the rest of the phones? I know many have irreparable problems, but most people tend to sell/give away their iPhones. I don't think anyone in their right mind would just put it in the trash after upgrading. Which leads me to believe these statistics are way off. I mean 2%? These forums still has plenty of 2G users and I'm sure it's more than that.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Proud owner of 2G original iPhone and feel the 3G was a curved plastic outcry for a cheap iPhone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast