Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android on the iPhone 3G - Progress Report

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default Android on the iPhone 3G - Progress Report

planetbeing recently let us know he had Android dual booting on the iPhone 2G (the original). He has now posted a picture showing progress on the 3G. The image shows an iPhone 3G booting into a BusyBox / Buildroot shell, and shows WiFi working.

BusyBox is a tiny binary which combines small optimized versions of many common UNIX utilities into one package, which let's the developer interact with the device without having a full GUI environment operating.

He's able to talk to the baseband, although only through the debugging channel at the moment. This means calls can be made.

The to-do list is small now:
    I'd still like to get the WM8991 codec working for it in openiboot (shouldn't be much trouble since there's a datasheet), just so we can iron out any quirks before testing it inside the kernel. We also need a new multi-touch driver (they've upgraded from Zephyr to Zephyr2). After that, we'll have a working port of Android.
    linuxoniphone

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Wow this is amazing cant wait for the release
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Maybe around the time that I've grown tired of the 64GB iPad 3G I have coming Friday (!) I'll think about getting an iPhone and dabbling with this. Or maybe by that time, a dual-boot solution for iPad will have rolled around? Maybe my Ubuntu-on-iPad fantasies can be fulfilled?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

d@m i am waiting for this thing to come ot 3g and 3gs :lust:
    No signature links or spam... only warning

maybe the guy at gizmodo with the "borrowed" iPhone 4g can lend it to him so he can have a head start at a Android port for it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Can't wait to put it on my phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, I know a lot of ppl are guna hate me for saying this, but runing android on an Apple device is pretty stupid. I mean if u want android, get a freakin Droid. Ugly software for an ugly phone makes since. but when ur running ugly software on a beautiful apple device that already runs a detailed better OS really doesnt make any since. But I do give the guy credit for hacking another software onto a device that does not support it. I didnt think that was even possible so Kudos to planetbeing for making it possible! But the thing that sucks is for all those ppl out there that are waiting on this to download, in 4.0 this hack for the 3G will most likely be disabled now that apple is aware of what has been done. but since their is no 4.0 for iPhone 2G users, u guys have something to look foward to!

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I read something somewhere saying the porting android to the 3GS would be much, much harder then from 2G to 3G. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Yea it is

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    I read something somewhere saying the porting android to the 3GS would be much, much harder then from 2G to 3G. =/
    Planetbeing said it himself I beleive. It is because the 3GS has hardware security that will make it harder to do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can't wait for the 3gs one (:

Thanks
    reason we boot android on a beautiful apple device is because we are limited by default on the capabilities of the iPhone. by jailbreaking we seek to unlock full potential of the iPhone, and we're just exploring each branch one by one, and droid on the iPhone is one branch.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxtkevinxxte For This Useful Post:

Amraam (04-27-2010), k.nitsua (04-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd pay to see a video of someone bringing an iPhone running Android into an Apple store and asking for help.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Davisman For This Useful Post:

mardinn (04-27-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    Honestly, I know a lot of ppl are guna hate me for saying this, but runing android on an Apple device is pretty stupid. I mean if u want android, get a freakin Droid. Ugly software for an ugly phone makes since. but when ur running ugly software on a beautiful apple device that already runs a detailed better OS really doesnt make any since. But I do give the guy credit for hacking another software onto a device that does not support it. I didnt think that was even possible so Kudos to planetbeing for making it possible! But the thing that sucks is for all those ppl out there that are waiting on this to download, in 4.0 this hack for the 3G will most likely be disabled now that apple is aware of what has been done. but since their is no 4.0 for iPhone 2G users, u guys have something to look foward to!
    All i have to say to you sir is where are your home screen widgets in you much more detailed iphone os? Where is the customization(... home screen background)? And of course when i say this i am not counting a jail broken phone. I would not say iphone os is more detailed, of course the perception of ugly or beauty is subject to opinion and matters little, but i would have to say android is much more detailed and just an all around more functional and more detailed os.

"I'd pay to see a video of someone bringing an iPhone running Android into an Apple store and asking for help."
    lmfao!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to metalmaster420 For This Useful Post:

leram84 (04-27-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Davisman View Post
    I'd pay to see a video of someone bringing an iPhone running Android into an Apple store and asking for help.
    The questions he presented to the Apple Employee will be interesting..

Sir, Im having trouble with my iphone, I cant find my icons. This little green robot thing keeps popping up and saying DROOOOOIDDD!
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

go in with the Android OS
    tell the guy that you cant install app
    show status bar menu
    show the bottom icon dock
    say this is a worthless apple product
    show back
    say sorry wrong OS
    power off and boot to normal iphone jb OS

have other iphone in shirt pocket recording it

why do so many people have iphones? For the software or the hardware?

Personally its software. Although it is very limited, a jailbreak makes the iphone incomparable to anything else out there. So im confused why people want android on their phone. Pretty cool though.

Is this guy working for free? And will the Android OS be a complete replacement option for Apple's iPhone/Touch OS?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast