+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Police Raid Gizmodo Editor Jason Chenís Home

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple takes its leaks very seriously. Just ask Gizmodo Editor Jason Chen. From the sound of it, authorities did everything but send a SWAT team flying in through Chen's living
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Police Raid Gizmodo Editor Jason Chenís Home

Apple takes its leaks very seriously.

Just ask Gizmodo Editor Jason Chen. From the sound of it, authorities did everything but send a SWAT team flying in through Chen's living room windows as the consequences of Gizmodo's controversial acquisition of the new iPhone continue to amass.

According to court documents obtained and published online, a search and seizure warrant was issued for Chen's residence. As a result, Chen's pad was raided by California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team. Four of Chen's computers and two servers were taken into custody. In all, some two dozen pieces of electronic equipment - like hard drives, digital cameras, 4 laptops... etc. - were taken. Chen's own account of the ordeal reveals that police had "broken down" his front door. Upon returning, Chen was also searched by police himself - you know, just in case, Chen had another stolen - I mean "lost" - iPhone on his person.

Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker Media LLC, says the search warrant was invalid under section 1524(g) of the California Penal Code. Darbyshire is playing a language game with the law and suggesting that a reporter's "notes, outtakes, photographs, tapes or other data of whatever sort" cannot be subjected to a police search and seizure.

Chen, who was not home at the time of the authorities arrival, returned to his residence just as officials were cataloging the goods taken from Chen's residence. California law holds that a search warrant can be served between 7am and 10pm.

The real question now is whether Chen will be afforded the same legal protections reserved for journalists. Bloggers, after all, may be treated differently in the eyes of the law, which would then make the confiscation of Chen's computers and servers legal by search warrant. Chen, after all, works fulltime for Gawker Media, but he does so from home.

Who knew that coughing up $5000 for a lost iPhone at a local bar would lead to so much trouble?

It should be noted, however, that despite erroneous reports elsewhere, Chen was not arrested and taken to prison. In other words, Mr. Chen isn't in need of a "jailbreak."
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 04-26-2010 at 04:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

wow...Apple is taking over the world, legally!

Wait...They took his computers too?
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this the douche that showed the iPhone 4G?
    I don't like him, ruined the surprise for everyone and the fact that he didn't tell the hardware specs

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Too damn far.

Thanks

Don't F*** with Steve Jobs, he'll get you
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

isnt that actually illegal?
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

Thanks

hes a good guy, he leaked info bout the new 4G but he didnt leak the specs....so be surprised when u finally get urs specs

and we are living in a new era, where this would have leaked anyhow....
    maybe apple did this on purpose so the new phone can get even more news b4 it comes out and they make a trillion dollars

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

i heard they took his computer

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't understand why police would be allowed to do this? What reasons were given to give police authority to do this? He had already contacted Apple and the iPhone was given back. If he broke the law then arrest him but I don't see how his personal computers are part of the investigation? This doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

he better has learned his leason. Never MESS with Steve!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ya another excuse for me to sell my iphone. not going to support it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats a bunch of Shi* they should be going after the person that left the device at the bar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 532 Posts

If i was Jason i would hold this personal against Steve and set revenge and **** the legal way , it would be a messy punishment served ..... people like Steve power trip with all his money , but in the long run might piss off that simple basic person that is mentally unstable with nothing to loose and ................................. Leave that to your imagination

Back to my pink padded room I go. ... Mahahahahahahaaaaaa
    iBOX Series FREE iPhone Themes
    Don't be shy to hit the Donate button if you like what you see

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10914106

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Apple takes its leaks very seriously.

Just ask Gizmodo Editor Jason Chen. From the sound of it, authorities did everything but send a SWAT team flying in through Chen's living room windows as the consequences of Gizmodo's controversial acquisition of the new iPhone continue to amass.

According to court documents obtained and published online, a search and seizure warrant was issued for Chen's residence. As a result, Chen's pad was raided by California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team. Four of Chen's computers and two servers were taken into custody. In all, some two dozen pieces of electronic equipment - like hard drives, digital cameras, 4 laptops... etc. - were taken. Chen's own account of the ordeal reveals that police had "broken down" his front door. Upon returning, Chen was also searched by police himself - you know, just in case, Chen had another stolen - I mean "lost" - iPhone on his person.

Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker Media LLC, says the search warrant was invalid under section 1524(g) of the California Penal Code. Darbyshire is playing a language game with the law and suggesting that a reporter's "notes, outtakes, photographs, tapes or other data of whatever sort" cannot be subjected to a police search and seizure.

Chen, who was not home at the time of the authorities arrival, returned to his residence just as officials were cataloging the goods taken from Chen's residence. California law holds that a search warrant can be served between 7am and 10pm.

The real question now is whether Chen will be afforded the same legal protections reserved for journalists. Bloggers, after all, may be treated differently in the eyes of the law, which would then make the confiscation of Chen's computers and servers legal by search warrant. Chen, after all, works fulltime for Gawker Media, but he does so from home.

Who knew that coughing up $5000 for a lost iPhone at a local bar would lead to so much trouble?

It should be noted, however, that despite erroneous reports elsewhere, Chen was not arrested and taken to prison. In other words, Mr. Chen isn't in need of a "jailbreak."

that just made my day LOL

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Is this the douche that showed the iPhone 4G?
    I don't like him, ruined the surprise for everyone and the fact that he didn't tell the hardware specs
    amen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenl View Post
    ya another excuse for me to sell my iphone. not going to support it.
    Could not agree with you more! Moron's who's complaining about killing the surprise, get a f*ing life! As far not messing with Steve, I think you will see more people turned off by Steve Job's arrogant action. I admire Chen for his guts to share with the world what he got after spending his OWN $5k. Give that guy some credit. Would You! It's a matter of time when some other phone/OS becomes "Cool Sensation".

Thanks

This is taking it way too far...
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

yeah this really is a joke! it does sound trivial but wont be buying anymore apple goods. screw them!

Thanks

WOW and this is just because he had an iphone 4G? that's def not a good reason. stupid cops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPPassion View Post
    Could not agree with you more! Moron's who's complaining about killing the surprise, get a f*ing life! As far not messing with Steve, I think you will see more people turned off by Steve Job's arrogant action.
    Count me in on this side of the coin, this is the last straw, screw that arrogant jagoff Steve Jobs and his evil empire of greed. No more Apple products for me! Is there a "modmydroid" site?
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast