+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Police Raid Gizmodo Editor Jason Chenís Home

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
true but they are going after them for "stolen property" which no one is exempt from on a federal level. either way Giz is going to pay big time.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

true but they are going after them for "stolen property" which no one is exempt from on a federal level.

either way Giz is going to pay big time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

Taking a phone that was left stranded at a bar is not stealing.....like is that where the law has gone to? If you find a $20 in the floor and keep it, are you committing theft to the original guy that lost it? I think apple is pissed now because it's not a "rumor" of what the phone looks like but the actual phone itself. And to then change the design completely in time for a June July launch is costly....so for once apple lost in keeping things secret until 30 seconds before the conference. BTW....wasn't everybody all happy go joy joy when this guy showed the pics and video? Why all the hating now that he "stole" it?

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

well i do agree bringing in cops and taking all his computers was a little much. but if you do have an iphone 4g then give it back big deal. who knows what the story really was. but new technology being leaked these days isnt really a big deal anymore.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If the initial stories of what happened are true then I don’t think Chen or the guy who found it are guilty of anything. The Apple engineer admitted he left the phone at the bar, ie it was not stolen. The guy who found it at the bar contacted Apple once he took off the casing and realized it may in fact be a proto-type device and was told that Apple was not missing any proto-types as the Apple reps on the phone knew nothing about it (this is a communication break down at Apple and I think the story said the finder of the phone contacted Apple on two different occasions to report the finding of the proto-type and was turned away both times). So, then the guy contacted Jason Chen who after purchasing and inspecting the phone also contacted Apple to let them know that he had their proto-type in his possession to be turned away once again. Once Chen posted the photos, that’s when Apple contacted Chen’s parent company and requested their property back and they complied with the request right away. These folks made a conscious effort to return the property back to the original owner, what more can you ask for? As for posting the photos, that’s a liability Apple subjects themselves to when they take proto-type devices out in public… especially if you lose the damn thing!! They can be upset with Chen about posting the pictures but I would think that would be about it. Instead of pointing the finger at others, they need to own up to it and admit that they messed up and it’s their fault that the images got leaked… because it is.

Honestly, if I found a phone in a bar I wouldn’t turn it into the lost and found. The next morning I would go through the contact list and hopefully reach someone who’s caller ID would tell them who the phone belongs too. I would then ask that person to contact the owner and have them contact me so that I could meet up with them and give them their phone back. Do onto others as you’d have done onto you. I would be grateful as hell if someone went through that trouble for me to return my property. When you turn something like an iPhone into lost and found, how hard do you think the establishment is going to try to find the owner? More than likely they will wait for someone to come and ask for it, I doubt they will go out of their way and call people in the in the phones contact list.

As for the iPad and Steve Wozniak, that is lame as well. One thing that I read though is that the model the engineer showed him was a 3G model which is not slated to be released for a few more weeks and that’s why he got canned. The article said that the engineer did have permission to take the iPad off campus but it didn’t state if he was specifically allowed to take a 3G version off campus and if he could show it to others. It’s Steve Wozniak though, a co-founder, why in the heck wouldn’t he have clearance to see such devices? Either way, Apple is lame.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JA.3 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this?

He bought a stolen/lost iPhone for $5,000. Grand Larceny anyone?

This guy paid 5k for a phone.
    Did he know that it was the 4g?
    Did he inspect the phones internals and say yep its a 4g?
    Do we "know" its the release 4g phone?
    Did he call Apple before showing the world pictures?
    Did he know if it was "stolen"?
    Grand Larceny is taking something knowing its "stolen" or you steal it yourself.

Questions that I'm sure that will play out. If he did in fact open a ticket with apple saying i might have a lost 4g iphone take it back, and the person didn't believe him. Not his fault they didn't want their phone.

Say you got a car from an auction, you get the title, and get pulled over a month later. Car is "stolen" you go to jail. Is that legal? Short answer no. That exact same thing happened to me. Once they saw the title and confirmed the title was real i was released. The last owner reported it stolen the same day i got my title done. Same thing just a different item.

We should all email Steve Jobs and tell him how much of a **** he is turning into.
    Last edited by mlauth; 04-27-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlauth View Post
    This guy paid 5k for a phone.
    Did he know that it was the 4g?
    Did he inspect the phones internals and say yep its a 4g?
    Do we "know" its the release 4g phone?
    Did he call Apple before showing the world pictures?
    Did he know if it was "stolen"?
    Grand Larceny is taking something knowing its "stolen" or you steal it yourself.

Questions that I'm sure that will play out. If he did in fact open a ticket with apple saying i might have a lost 4g iphone take it back, and the person didn't believe him. Not his fault they didn't want their phone.

Say you got a car from an auction, you get the title, and get pulled over a month later. Car is "stolen" you go to jail. Is that legal? Short answer no. That exact same thing happened to me. Once they saw the title and confirmed the title was real i was released. The last owner reported it stolen the same day i got my title done. Same thing just a different item.

We should all email Steve Jobs and tell him how much of a **** he is turning into.
    So if someone "found" a (say) 2013 Porsche 911 prototype, and you paid 10 times it's price (which is what Chen did), you wouldn't consider yourself guilty of theft? There's a reason why he paid $5K for an iPhone - he knew it wasn't a 3GS. And I'm sure he also knew that some random guy just wouldn't get it as a gift. The phone had to be stolen. So I feel no pity for this guy.

If someone found your wallet, posted your personal info, credit cards, SSN, etc, online - then called you after 6 days to pick it up, would you be pissed off? Same case here.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    So if someone "found" a (say) 2013 Porsche 911 prototype, and you paid 10 times it's price (which is what Chen did), you wouldn't consider yourself guilty of theft? There's a reason why he paid $5K for an iPhone - he knew it wasn't a 3GS. And I'm sure he also knew that some random guy just wouldn't get it as a gift. The phone had to be stolen. So I feel no pity for this guy.

If someone found your wallet, posted your personal info, credit cards, SSN, etc, online - then called you after 6 days to pick it up, would you be pissed off? Same case here.

Did Porsche say... lost proto type.... .not a chance..
    NO

If someone found my wallet CALLED me and said.. hey i have your wallet and i said no you dont.
    NO

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlauth View Post
    Did Porsche say... lost proto type.... .not a chance..
    NO

If someone found my wallet CALLED me and said.. hey i have your wallet and i said no you dont.
    NO
    The first case was a hypothetical situation.

Did you ignore the rest of what I said before "called"? I said called AFTER (6 days exactly, what this guy did) posting all your info online, after it's been in the front page of every major news network. Or maybe you just don't care about your personal privacy too much.

I know most people would care. He thinks that just because he returned it he's not guilty. He shouldn't have published the info in the first place - which was mostly to get propaganda for their site. He definitely achieved that, now that millions have seen the pictures with GIZMODO written all over them.

I'm against Apple's crappy methods most of the times, but I have to agree with them in this one. Chen deserves all of it.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow,. Unbelievable . Truly messed up, THis Is Wrong

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    The first case was a hypothetical situation.

Did you ignore the rest of what I said before "called"? I said called AFTER (6 days exactly, what this guy did) posting all your info online, after it's been in the front page of every major news network. Or maybe you just don't care about your personal privacy too much.

I know most people would care. He thinks that just because he returned it he's not guilty. He shouldn't have published the info in the first place - which was mostly to get propaganda for their site. He definitely achieved that, now that millions have seen the pictures with GIZMODO written all over them.

I'm against Apple's crappy methods most of the times, but I have to agree with them in this one. Chen deserves all of it.

The guy who "found" the iphone called the next morning and said the same thing. I think i have a iphone proto-type that i found. Where should i send it. Then Chen said he called when he received the phone and realized it was a 4g before he posted anything.
    Again this is what i have seen thus far. If someone found my wallet and did nothing except throw my personal information out there, yep i would be pissed. This is not the case; from what i have seen anyways.

If he knew for a face this was a 4g and not some Chinese knockoff, before he bought it, then maybe he should of been for forceful with apple saying i have a proto-type that was found in a bar. You really need to take this back.
    Again the land of the what if.

I also believe if this phone was "stolen" it wouldn't of taken apple 2 days to brick it. Lets use the car in an example again. You are driving that nice new 911. You have lo-jac on your car. Are you going to wait 2 days to call them and say.. hey i cant find my car, i think it was stolen 48 hours ago, and you tell me where it is and alert the police for me? No, im sure it will be wtf where is my car (dude wheres my car), call the police first then call lo-jac.
    This guy lost it make no mistake, and hoped he would find it before SJ found out about it, he knew that would be is job.

Now the other side of the coin being, it was "stolen" and knew that before he got bought the phone. He broke the phone apart before paying to insure it was a apple product. He never called apple.
    Yep lock him up and throw away the key for 1-5yrs.

My opinion on the matter.

BTW i think you have my red GT-R at your house.. im going to call the police and have them break in and search for it... j/k

Quote Originally Posted by thisisasticup View Post
    He posted on the site that he was 99% sure it was the NEW iphone. Why else would he have paid $5000 for a PHONE?
    True.. why would you pay 500$ for a phone?
    Its like paying 5000 for some stock that might pay off or might be nothing. A gamble, if it was the 4g then he could make more than 5k off of the information he could get from it.
    Last edited by mlauth; 04-27-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

it's a sad occurrence when the legal system bends to the whims of a corporation. capitalism is not without its flaws

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JA.3 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this?

He bought a stolen/lost iPhone for $5,000. Grand Larceny anyone?
    haha i dont see what the big deal is either, even though steve jobs is a control freak, the police warrant is probably valid. I think its a felony if the stolen merch is more than $400 too. And who in their right mind would pay for a stolen/lost prototype phone with millions of $ in potential to apple, and then expose it to the world? If that happened to a business I owned I would be pissed too.

Thanks

giancarlo your wrong! ive already sold off most of my mac stuff and ive brought an n900 coz im tired of this apple drip feeding me their dogs**t. ive had my 1st gen iphone shipped from the US, 2 3gs, 3gs, white macbook, air, shuffle, 30gb video and 8gb touch. all i have left are ipod video, shuffle & whitebook. and after seeing 4.0 and reading this crap im off the apple ship. still like this site tho

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Now for the real Story...
    This is what happens when our society "wants it all". There is always a price to paid when big business meets the demands of what people want. You see there are two different sides to this coin. On one hand you have a blogger who wants the same opportunity that has propelled Apple for so many years, i.e. to make it big. On the other hand you have Apple Inc. The People who buy Apple products are the ones really to blame here & I'm just as guilty. You see because we all like Apple items so much we all create this 'Buzz" that gets us excited to be in the know about whats to come. Its the sole reason Mr. Jobs holds his Keynotes, to get potential consumers interested in his product. eBay has this target market down pat, and here's what I know that big business knows... bait and hook. Get the consumer excited that they 'won' something.Now, I know the old timers out there will say that this is the way the world has always been, and this is just an old car with new tires, but I beg to differ. Never before has there been a time like now, we live in a society where everything you walk past talks to you, and at the touch of a button we can chat with someone across the globe, instantly, and now in many different ways, i.e. PS3,Wii,Xbox,smart phones,GPS and even our printers and TV's now. What none of you realize is that we are all getting the message loud and clear, "You can have it all". So, is Jason to blame for falling into the "gotta have it" trap? I'm not suggesting that just because the world is changing we can throw our morals and laws out the window, I'm merely just trying to get those who are throwing the book at Jason to see this a little differently.
    Last edited by UNDERD0G; 05-01-2010 at 02:05 AM.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345