+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wireless iTunes Sync App Submitted to Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7xn86Zwyo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Wi-Fi Sync: Wirelessly sync your iPhone with iTunes[/ame] A new App Store submission, Wi-Fi Sync, promises to let you sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with your
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wireless iTunes Sync App Submitted to Apple
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7xn86Zwyo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Wi-Fi Sync: Wirelessly sync your iPhone with iTunes[/ame]

A new App Store submission, Wi-Fi Sync, promises to let you sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with your iTunes library without the need to use a physical cable. And while we don't know if this app will face the banhammer for "duplicating existing iPhone functionality" as other apps have in the past, it's definitely a feature that some users will really be attracted to, and given increasing laxity in recent weeks at the App Store, there's a possibility this one may get through.

Developer Greg Hughes came up with a tidy little hack allowing iTunes and a mobile device to link up wirelessly, and he's showing it off on YouTube, possibly to build a little buzz for the app and hopefully put some pressure on Apple to approve his submission. All we know about the app is what's in the video: you "pair" your desktop and the iPhone/iPad/iPod and it appears on your iTunes sidebar. After the pairing process is done the first time, syncing can happen automagically thereafter.

Wi-Fi Sync is simple and straightforward, and should have been built into the iPhone from the start… which prompts the question: why wasn't it? I mean, it's possible that Apple thought that nobody would want such a feature, given that syncing even a small library over WiFi will just crawl compared to USB. However, flexibility should be the watchword, and it'd be worth having to option of syncing my iphone from, say, the bedside cradle rather than coming downstairs and waiting for it to transfer.

Of course, there's a good possibility Apple will reject this right out of hand. However, now that formerly rejected apps are available for the iPhone, it could be that the reviewers are becoming less strict. And while Wi-Fi Sync does certainly do something that's a part of the iPhone's core feature set - namely, syncing with iTunes - the ability to do it without a physical connection should be a significant enough improvement to allow the app.

If not… well, we'll see this one on Cydia for sure, and it'll be yet another boost from Cupertino to the jailbreaking community. Go Apple.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

evil_beaner (04-26-2010), Gustavo Saliola (04-27-2010), Oliva94 (04-26-2010)

Thanks

this will rule all things
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

back in the windows mobile 4.0 days, this was available..... then it was pulled when 4.5 came out. Why? security. If this functionality exists, it is very hackable...It also takes money away from apple because it would eliminate me.com

adp
    Thanks

Hopefully the dev will submit this to Cydia if Apple disapproves

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not bad
    this would be worth having -=]

Green Apple
    Thanks

This will be very handy. I hope it makes it to the App Store so this dev can make a lot of money, but I'll be happy if it's only a available for the jailbreak community

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Hopefully the dev will submit this to Cydia if Apple disapproves
    you mean Apple will disapprove it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think it's so much about duplicating functionality, rather it probably uses API's it's not supposed to, or it breaks some other unwritten Apple rule, probably security related.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm, this is similar to Microsoft's Zune HD where it could sync wireless. I think this would come in handy.

<3

Thanks

Me want this app NOW!

Green Apple
    Thanks

No way would apple approve this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

only problem i can forsee it, unless the dev already though about it. Its the issue with "backing up the iphone" process when the phone starts sycning, that process takes up a considerable amount of time/data that might be slow over wifi. If this app by passes that backup somehows then awesome.

Thanks

This is sweet cant wait
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

apple wants to make money from people with the usb cords and docks. so therefore im sure this will be disapproved

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ya and their cords suck. both ends of mine are down to bare metal and i take care of all my things. heck my iphone doesnt have a nick on it. such junk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aimetti For This Useful Post:

sllmhjn (04-27-2010)

Thanks

Its good to have both...if your internet goes off then just use the cable...hopefully if this doesn't get approved we'll see it in Cydia!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple will probably reject it then release it in a future firmware Nice work tho' dev

Thanks

I guess i understand why he would be optimistic about trying to get this into the app store but surely he can't think Apple will honestly accept it. They are just going to add it to their repository of ideas (thought through and coded by app developers) that they will copy and paste right into their next itteration of the OS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I look forward to seeing it on Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaaroFC View Post
    Its good to have both...if your internet goes off then just use the cable...hopefully if this doesn't get approved we'll see it in Cydia!
    What does this have to do with the internet?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast