Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Turn-By-Turn Navigation Coming to Maps... Someday

WAZE is available for non-jailbroken iPhones and offers turn by turn right now. It consumes less battery than XGPS does on the jailbroken iPhones and is smarter in traffic shaping because it utilizes its own social network by Waze users automatically collecting traffic data as they drive around a given area. This is fed into the Waze servers to dynamically route you to your destination. User entered traffic conditions are also considered. A great app!

And did I mention WAZE is free?

never going to happen..

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    TomTom and others are still going to be better. Google's routing sucks. It's very basic and far from the fastest. On a trip from Minneapolis to St. Louis, the Google directions would have taken 70 miles/1 hour longer vs those of TomTom for iPhone. From St. Louis to Madison once again it was over an hour longer should I have followed Google's directions. Stick with a company that specializes in routing rather then one that's trying to do a little bit of everything at once.
    That's strange. Not that I don't believe you but I have driven cross country a couple of times and to various places in between and google routes my maps almost the same way, or at least VERY similar. We tend to load up directions through google on ou phones just in case there is spotty satellite signal on the GPS. There is always the risk of a GPS App not giving you the BEST way possible. I know we used it in town a lot when we first moved here but came up with plenty of "short cuts", if you want to call them that, which got us to our destination much faster than any GPS would.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Wasn't this supposed to come to iPhone natively or am I on coke? I thought this was a big thing in the past and Apple made some hoopla about it?

Maybe I'm thinking of TomTom..

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    WAZE is available for non-jailbroken iPhones and offers turn by turn right now. It consumes less battery than XGPS does on the jailbroken iPhones and is smarter in traffic shaping because it utilizes its own social network by Waze users automatically collecting traffic data as they drive around a given area. This is fed into the Waze servers to dynamically route you to your destination. User entered traffic conditions are also considered. A great app!

And did I mention WAZE is free?
    I prefer MotionX GPS Drive. The app is only $0.99 and has inexpensive fees for turn-by-turn directions. I tried Waze a while back and wasn't a fan. Too cartoony and the directions weren't the best. Upon reading reviews of the latest version, perhaps I'll give it another try.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I use Navigon myself.... just had problems with two of Apples new iPhones... of course they gave me their so called new ones.. finally after two of them I can use Navigon again and get phone calls... The guys in the Apple store told me that I should not depend on any app like Navigon or Maps that are on the phone so I guess this is another one we should not depend on.... I looked at the guy and said why do we have apps like this then? I used Navigon from Michigan to Oklahoma and had no problems at all....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I use Navigon myself.... just had problems with two of Apples new iPhones... of course they gave me their so called new ones.. finally after two of them I can use Navigon again and get phone calls... The guys in the Apple store told me that I should not depend on any app like Navigon or Maps that are on the phone so I guess this is another one we should not depend on.... I looked at the guy and said why do we have apps like this then? I used Navigon from Michigan to Oklahoma and had no problems at all....
    The Navigon software is definitely my favorite overall. I have it installed on my actual GPS in my car. For the iPhone though, I'd rather go the cheaper route.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

a litte too late,but thanks google lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    a litte too late,but thanks google lol.
    It's never too late to have a good (maybe better) map navigation.

The free Mapquest app is pretty dang good, but I like the Google Maps interface better. I hope they release this with 4.0 because I think it'll be awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Alittle late but awesome for those who have yet to get a GPS app. I too use Navigon and love the heck out of it(tho my car has Navi in the Pioneer unit lol). Ive also tried G-Maps and XGPS but ill stick with Navigon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Navigon is amazing. I used it on a 1000 mile trip from missouri to texas and it worked better than my buddies standalone garmin

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I haven't run into this issue with Navigon yet, but I was going somewhere on the other side of Houston and used the Maps app for reference and my half hour drive turned into an hour and a half drive because I found myself at a toll bridge with no cash so I had to jackass myself around trying to figure out a way across the river because the Maps app didn't alert me that there was a toll road involved in the directions it gave me.

tl;dr I really hope the turn-by-turn app alerts you if there's a toll road in the directions it gives you otherwise its a no-go for me

pretty neat.
    stop teasing me with the iphone 4g lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Why even mention xGPS? Those of us that remember that junk shouldn't have to relive those darker times. Yikes! Anyhow, free up-to-date traffic and real-time recalculation (assuming data link). This would be great on the iPhone!

Thanks

this looks shooped.jpg
    eiei doktor octagonapus blar D<

dude when do we get books?

Default Google is not brining it to the iPhone...yet
    For those that missed it, Google confirmed they never did state it would come to the iPhone. The article in question got their facts mixed up. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a 4.0 turn by turn Google Maps app. From Google...

“We did not say we would bring it to iPhone, we said to date we’ve had it on Android and that in the future it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will be coming to iPhone at all.”

Personally I use NAVIGON and never had a problem with it. The only drawback to NAVIGON besides the price is that the maps are not updated OTA. However the good thing is all the map data is stored locally on your device which is nice if you don't have a data signal.

Google Maps is updated OTA (as far as the map data goes) so their maps are fairly accurate and you get most of the world without having to shell out extra cash for different countries. Problem is they don't route the fastest/best possible route. Also there is no automatic re-route that you get with NAVIGON (and TOM TOM). No data signal means no Google Maps.

So there are advantages and drawbacks with each.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Can't beat free! Google and Apple was have issues with eachother. We'll prolly see this when the 4.0 cones out maybe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast