Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Buy ARM for an Arm and a Leg

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple May Buy ARM for an Arm and a Leg

Apple may purchase ARM.

Yeah, I had to take a good look at that headline too when it was just emblazoned across the London Evening Standard. And, today, as the blogosphere catches wind if what could be a major development, many are weighing in - often with some disbelief - on the prospect of Apple scooping up the prestigious processor designer.

According to the London Evening Standard, Apple may have to cough up as much as $8 billion dollars to acquire ARM. Yes, yes... Apple has the money. But Apple only has roughly $40 billion in cash laying around. On a percentage basis, that's a mighty hefty chunk of change even for a corporate giant like Apple.

If Apple purchases ARM, the move would be significant and the ramifications would be felt throughout the entire tech world. Given that ARM chips are as commonplace in mobile gadgets as potato chips are in the snack food aisle, Apple would have in its fold a major player that everyone worth anything in the mobile realm has a relationship with. Blackberries, Sony PSPs, Microsoft phones, Android phones - they all use ARM chips. And if Apple seizes ARM, it could be a "game changer" for real.

Of course, just as Google has its hands full with the acquisition of AdMob, so too would Apple if such an acquisition or merger were to ultimately transpire. Are we getting ahead of ourselves? Perhaps. But there's lots of heat on this rumor and sources in the know claim they won't be too surprised in Apple announces a deal with ARM in the very near future.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, pocket change for Apple!

in 10 years apple will rule the world. Im gonna buy the first apple convertible!

Thanks

I can't see this happening. This certainly would be seen as a monopolistic move to stifle the competition and kill the Windows Mobile and Android based devices in the Smartphone markets. Google is no small player in the global markets. They won't sit back and let this happen, especially when this threatens their interest in Android smartphone markets. Apple and Google are already in the beginning phase of many patent wars yet to be played out.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Are we sure Apple doesn't already own shares in ARM anyway??

Apple was one of the joint co investors of the ARM6 technology in the very late 1980's when processor section was spun off from Acorn....

Did they let this holding go???

Man if Apple bought Arm that would be a huge impact on mobile devices. It would be a smart move though.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be cool for them until ARM is no longer used and they are holding and outdated company. I think they should just continue to buy up all of the chips without dropping 8 billion on the company.

@dorkinstien909 if u get the first apple convertible I call the first apple ferrari

it's good to be on apple side lol.

if it is soo good for Apple to do all stuff at their own ?

Looks like "our Steveness" would aim to the world, but the fall could be hard - history has shown that a lot of times.

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    I can't see this happening. This certainly would be seen as a monopolistic move to stifle the competition and kill the Windows Mobile and Android based devices in the Smartphone markets. Google is no small player in the global markets. They won't sit back and let this happen, especially when this threatens their interest in Android smartphone markets. Apple and Google are already in the beginning phase of many patent wars yet to be played out.
    Even though that i love Apple but i agree with you, this is for sure will be a monopoly move and an anti-competitive that i hate to see it happen.
    U.S. Department of Justice and EU will have the final word if the rumor is true

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    If that's true, I think I will become Amish...

Quote Originally Posted by FlexSurferOne View Post
    Even though that i love Apple but i agree with you, this is for sure will be a monopoly move and an anti-competitive that i hate to see it happen.
    U.S. Department of Justice and EU will have the final word if the rumor is true
    You hit the nail on the coffin. I couldn't have said it better.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    You hit the nail on the coffin. I couldn't have said it better.
    Well, I think you could have at LEAST done a better job than he did with his grammar!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

go ahead and buy it apple that way you make money off of every possible mobile smartphone on the market lol

This battle is starting to get to epic proportions ..

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Eh, pocket change for Apple!
    So when you are down to your last $100, do you consider $20 to be "pocket change"?

$8 billion is nowhere near pocket change to them, that's 20% of their current cash on hand.

$40 billion in petty cash?? WOW. Apple is really not that far behind Microsoft in terms of marketshare worldwide if it can snap up companies as important as ARM without denting their pocketbook very much. I'm liking Apple getting it's fingers in alot of areas, competition is very good. Now if they'd quit raining on the jailreak parade, we'd be even better off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast