+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Buy ARM for an Arm and a Leg

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by KartRacer $40 billion in petty cash?? WOW. Apple is really not that far behind Microsoft in terms of marketshare worldwide if it can snap up companies as
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    $40 billion in petty cash?? WOW. Apple is really not that far behind Microsoft in terms of marketshare worldwide if it can snap up companies as important as ARM without denting their pocketbook very much. I'm liking Apple getting it's fingers in alot of areas, competition is very good. Now if they'd quit raining on the jailreak parade, we'd be even better off!
    Apple buying ARM will not promote competition, it will kill it. ARM makes the processors for the majority of Apple's mobile device competitors. And that is the only reason they would even consider digging that deep - to kill off the competition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If they did this they'd be opening themselves up to a ton of antitrust lawsuits - ones that already have a very strong precedent set by the Microsoft case 10 years ago. I can't imagine that any business would be stupid enough to make a move like this when they have such a clearly laid-out picture of what the consequences of such a decision would be.

Banned
    Thanks

Microsoft abused its monopoly by trying to force you to only use Internet Explorer on a PC. That would be like Apple abusing its monopoly by trying to force you to only use Apple-approved apps on your iPhone.

Oh, right. Looks like they are, in fact, stupid enough to make a move like that.

In any case, your comparison is invalid. The Sherman Act does not prevent a company from buying another company and incorporating their products into their own products while refusing to license the same products to other companies.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 04-22-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

I am sure that Apple would have to make ARM a subsidary like part of the company and not limit it to just Apple devices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me, or Apple in 2010 is sounding like Microsoft in the 90's??? Beware of "geeks" bearing gifts...

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Not so much an arm and a leg, as about a big toe for Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    Not so much an arm and a leg, as about a big toe for Apple
    A toe is not 20% of your body. 8 billion out of your 40 Billion cash is 20%. That is still a huge hit to the pocket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    You hit the nail on the coffin. I couldn't have said it better.
    I'm gonna buy you a proverb book or somethin.. this mix'n'match s#!ts gotta go.

People in glass houses sink ships, and don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    apple has always out played the competition, this would be an out of suit move for apple. They would be more interested to be shoulder to shoulder with a company, kinda like they are with intel. Unless there looking to lock down a standard like SoC's.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    If they did this they'd be opening themselves up to a ton of antitrust lawsuits - ones that already have a very strong precedent set by the Microsoft case 10 years ago. I can't imagine that any business would be stupid enough to make a move like this when they have such a clearly laid-out picture of what the consequences of such a decision would be.
    Here's proof that they will do just that:

Lala - Where music plays

Apple just bought Lala last December. Lala was way better as a music store, not selling you some crap proprietary format. It was straight up MP3, and you could even sample whole songs before buying. Many songs were as little as $0.10 each.

Tell me again about how they won't buy competition just to get rid of it...
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 04-30-2010 at 02:23 PM.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12