Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: News Flash: Apple Opposed to Jailbreaking

Quote Originally Posted by Thatskanyon View Post
    What the...??? Apple seriously doesn't like Jailbreaking? lol, I bet Steve Jobs JB's his iPhone... he cant be happy with what it does. Capable of so much more, but they just wont let it happen...

It's sad really...but Im glad that we jailbreak... otherwise I would have switched to Android a long time ago. lol
    Why the hell would Steve Jobs have to jailbreak an iPhone? The point of a jailbreak is to allow unsigned code to run. If he wanted anything on his phone, he can sign the code.

If they offered Factory Unlocked iPhones here, I'd have no use for a jailbreak. I'm stickin with T-Mobile ($50 a month for unlimited everything) so I have to unlock to use an iPhone

But the article Apple posted brings up VAILD points

Device and application instability: I've had Winterboard crash so many times, I've uninstalled it. It wasn't a conflict or anything, as that was the only thing installed. I used it for no grey dock and it still hated me

Unreliable voice and data: The other day, for some reason my iPhone decided it would say "No Service" no matter what.. Had to restore to get it back running.

Disruption of services: Push and Youtube become broken without AT&T activation or "fixes"

Compromised security: Anyone remember that software that was going around because people never changed their SSH password?

Shortened battery life: Duh.. Everything uses resources..

Inability to apply future software updates: Look at all the people who are stuck on 3.1.3 or can't upgrade to 3.1.3 because of the new BB

The whole repair thing is stupid. As long as you restore, you're golden. I've seen one guy bring in a jailbroken 2G to the apple store that was stuck on a Pineapple Boot screen and he got pissed when they told him no.

Thanks

i love how people get so fired up over old news
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ha

what i like to think is 90% of jailbreakers are all developers so if they shut out all there developers theres goes apples profit.

Have to disagree with you/the article on just about every point...

Quote Originally Posted by shadow25 View Post
    But the article Apple posted brings up VAILD points

Device and application instability: I've had Winterboard crash so many times, I've uninstalled it. It wasn't a conflict or anything, as that was the only thing installed. I used it for no grey dock and it still hated me

I really don't think jb'ing makes an iphone less stable. If so, far from prohibitively. I've had a jb device for years (first 3G and now 3GS) and I think I recall having to restore to factory settings once. That's remarkable stability. Compare to my Palm devices of the past (Tungsten T, T
    |X and Treo 580) that I used to restore constantly (so much so that I needed a backup program on an SD card so I could restore on the fly)

Unreliable voice and data: The other day, for some reason my iPhone decided it would say "No Service" no matter what.. Had to restore to get it back running.

the "some reason" likely had nothing to do with the jailbreak... maybe the hacktivation.

Disruption of services: Push and Youtube become broken without AT&T activation or "fixes"

If you're using another carrier and hacktivating this is a completely separate issue and speaks ill of Apple's exclusivity deal not the practive of JBing.

Compromised security: Anyone remember that software that was going around because people never changed their SSH password?

LOL! That's like saying keyless entry locks compromise security because the default passcode is 0000! JBing ALLOWS you to change your root password (which most people have by now) which makes it MORE secure.

Shortened battery life: Duh.. Everything uses resources..

Source? How does JBing shorten battery life? If you multitask, yes, having three programs opened at once will drain the battery faster. You could get nearly infinite battery life if you keep your phone switched off and in a shoebox (ok, I admit, the shoebox doesn't improve battery life... dramatic license).

Inability to apply future software updates: Look at all the people who are stuck on 3.1.3 or can't upgrade to 3.1.3 because of the new BB

You can always update to the new firmware and NOT re-jailbreak, and be in the same boat as all those who never jailbroke in the first place. For this reason I don't see how this can be considered a "disadvantage" of jailbreaking. On the contrary. I'm happily jailbroken at 3.1.2 and could choose to update to 3.1.3 and lose JB at any time (or really, as I understand it, just the potential to unlock at this point). I consider this an advantage.
    Last edited by virtualcappy; 04-22-2010 at 10:42 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to virtualcappy For This Useful Post:

wolverinemarky (04-23-2010)

as much as i love my jailbreak... it is making my phone a bit slow

Thanks
    Default Apple Likes Jailbreakers
    When do you think the inovation for the next iphone os comes from?
    they try to include the best from the features that come from the jailbroke community.
    Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

$10 to the first guy who jailbreaks that rock.

Thanks

Bam!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -captainobvious.jpg  

dear apple

jailbreak has made my device MORE stable

now prowswitchwr is my only jb'd app, but ssh has allowed me to delete all the crap I don't need like iTunes app, stocks app, to name a few, not to mention deleting useless deamons and laungauge packs, now my phone is far faster in every aspect and hardly ever crashes.

i am not an apple fan boi, honestly I prefer ubuntu to osx any day, but like many others it's the jb that makes the phone attractive

Why does Apple oppose JB? It's wonderful!

Heres what they should do. Make it so that Jailbreaking is fine, but make it so that it can't be done. That makes more sense than making the world jump through hoops in my oppinion.

Apple needs to throw in the towel on this subject! Jailbreaking is WHY the iPhone is so popular!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

its all about control. Like how allowing flash would take away from the OS. I remember aking my phone to the apple store and a few of the employees there had jailbroken iphones! Lead by example. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    what?! Apple doesn't like jailbreaking? No way!
    dude i dont know but ur comment made me laugh cause its funny. Maybe ur a funny guy

I really don't think jb'ing makes an iphone less stable. If so, far from prohibitively. I've had a jb device for years (first 3G and now 3GS) and I think I recall having to restore to factory settings once. That's remarkable stability. Compare to my Palm devices of the past (Tungsten T, T
    |X and Treo 580) that I used to restore constantly (so much so that I needed a backup program on an SD card so I could restore on the fly)

I've had jailbroken phones since an iPhone 2G.. Gone are the good old days when jailbreak was more than "make it ra1n". Its not the actual JB that makes the iPhone unstable, its the buggy *** software everyone likes to load on it.The whole point of a jailbreak is to let unsigned code run, and a lot of stuff in Cydia and Rock are crap.

the "some reason" likely had nothing to do with the jailbreak... maybe the hacktivation.

That'd be a valid point if my phone was hacktivated. It was activated with a legit AT&T SIM.

If you're using another carrier and hacktivating this is a completely separate issue and speaks ill of Apple's exclusivity deal not the practive of JBing.

Doesn't matter wiether you are using an offical carrier or not. Jailbreak has caused YouTube and Push Notifications issues due to hacktivation. I've also seen the same problems on phone that were activated through iTunes then jailbroken

LOL! That's like saying keyless entry locks compromise security because the default passcode is 0000! JBing ALLOWS you to change your root password (which most people have by now) which makes it MORE secure.

You're talking about a physical lock, not a software password. People tend not to worry about software passwords until it is too late. While a decent amount of ModMyI members know a bit about jailbreaking, doesn't mean everyone does. Not to mention, most people don't know commands to punch into Terminal. Stock iPhone OS doesn't have SSH IIRC, so they are more "secure" than a jailbroken iPhone in that aspect

Source? How does JBing shorten battery life? If you multitask, yes, having three programs opened at once will drain the battery faster. You could get nearly infinite battery life if you keep your phone switched off and in a shoebox (ok, I admit, the shoebox doesn't improve battery life... dramatic license).

Source? Common Sense, more resources being used = more power needed = running the battry out quicker. While just jailbreaking the phone itself does not affect the battery life, its what MOST people have on a Jailbroken Device that does. OpenSSH, Winterboard, SBSettings, ect.. They all use additional resources, so it will result in a shorter battery life than a jailed iPhone. BTW, leave that iPhone in a shoebox for a year or so, and it won't be able to hold a charge

You can always update to the new firmware and NOT re-jailbreak, and be in the same boat as all those who never jailbroke in the first place. For this reason I don't see how this can be considered a "disadvantage" of jailbreaking. On the contrary. I'm happily jailbroken at 3.1.2 and could choose to update to 3.1.3 and lose JB at any time (or really, as I understand it, just the potential to unlock at this point). I consider this an advantage.

Really? I didn't know the only jailbroken people were using an offical carrier? Most of the jailbroken phones I've seen or dealt with have been unlocked. If they could've unlocked without a jailbreak, they would've.

Personally, I hate Apple's control over the software, but as someone who has worked in IT for a while, I do know a locked system is a more stable system than a majority of open system. I speak about average users, not most "power" users found on these boards.Look at most public libaries and offices, most of the machines are locked down by an administrator. Why? If you let a bunch of users do whatever they wanted to the system, they'd be busy 24/7 correcting the problems that were caused by end users.

Honestly, if Apple just added an "Advanced User" option when setting up an iPhone, it'd be great. It would pretty much be a jailbreak provided by Apple, and it would release them from any software support as you chose to **** with it. Restore and set it back up as a Normal iPhone and you're software supported again.

Thanks

^No one has forced you to jailbreak. So, why ***** about JB?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

the only reason i would not stop jailbreaking the iphone is b/c apple is g@@y in its rules and support!!! doesn't think of its user only $$$ so fl_l_c_k them anyway u can.!

any electronics u got will get messed up in its time not by modifying it!
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123