+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Real or Real Fake: the Curious Case of the iPhone 4G Pics

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Nick Hesson wrote this morning about an Engadget post that purported to show pictures of a fourth-generation iPhone found on the floor of a bar in San Jose, near Apple
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Real or Real Fake: the Curious Case of the iPhone 4G Pics

Nick Hesson wrote this morning about an Engadget post that purported to show pictures of a fourth-generation iPhone found on the floor of a bar in San Jose, near Apple headquarters. Nick wasn't buying it, and sure enough, a user on the Spanish site Applesfera wrote in to say that he'd bought an identical phone - likely a Chinese shanzhai knockoff - in Japan last year. So that's it, right? Just another fake photo in the long series of fake iPhone G4 (the term TiPB is using - as opposed to 4G) photos we've been seeing for about a year.

Well, the guys at Engadget are sticking to their guns. They went back and looked at an image that had supposedly been tweeted from Apple labs back in January. The photo showed an iPhone laying on top of the iPad, which was bolted to the table in what may have been some sort of an RF testing harness. Alongside the iPad was another iPhone, and when you look at the picture, it bears a distinct resemblance to the supposed barroom-floor iPhone that Engadget had been showing off earlier.

In addition, other photos emerged from WeiPhone, the Chinese site that earlier leaked pictures of the iPad case, as well as the internal "K84" designator that Apple employees used while the name "iPad" was still secret. The new photos, which appear on the forums at MacRumors, show internal components, as well as the screen, the bezel, and the back case, which definitely looks like the case of the "lost and found" phone.

So what's the deal here? I agree with Nick that this phone's blocky design seems really "off" for Apple. To me it looks more like a big version of the Sony Ericsson C510 I had back in 2004. On the other hand, maybe he's right that this could be a prototype version Apple's using for testing, and that the released phone will actually look like an iPhone. It still seems really sketchy, though.

image via Engadget
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 04-18-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Changed G4 to 4G

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-19-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Naw, its a fake IMO
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

how? this was the first pic proven real from the iPad...with that next to it its plausable
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone derrickb16's Avatar
    Thanks

in that photo resolution it looks like a 3g in a rubber case idk
    IF I'VE HELPED YOU BE SURE YOU HIT THE THANKS BUTTON!

Thanks

Meh. People are just all excited about the possibility of a leak in the system. But there's almost never one of those...... well.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it also just looks like an external hard drive. It could be anything.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 707 Posts

The iPhone on the iPad looks the way my iPhone 2G did when it had a case on it

Thanks

Don't look at the phone on top of the Ipad, look at the red arrow pointing to the right, at the block thing.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 707 Posts

Edit: I edited this pic that we saw earlier

and blured it

this image below is what engadget say is real

Last edited by dsg; 04-18-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

well heres a question....so 2 months from now apple should/will release details on the new iphone 4g. that means why would there be prototypes? 2 months from rehearsal at WWDC and there just coming up with prototypes? i believe iphone 4g has been completed for a while now. this is always gonna be fake.

Thanks

I don't buy it... IMHO the next iPhone will NOT look like the current 3GS. It's going to look like an iPad with the same backing sides etc.

Thanks

The one on the iPad looks exactly like a 3G/3G[S] with a case... as for the thing to teh right... could be a camera, though Apple doesn't allow cameras in testing rooms... could be a hard drive as some one said before... and then again, dsg's blurred image makes it hard to doubt...
    Writer/Reporter/Graphic Designer

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by idigit View Post
    I don't buy it... IMHO the next iPhone will NOT look like the current 3GS. It's going to look like an iPad with the same backing sides etc.
    i agree in a way. i believe apple will make it looks different this time then others.

Thanks

I would like the aluminum body like the iPad's and MBP's but I heard the aluminum casing caused some signal interferences in the 1st Gen. That's why they moved to plastic.

Thanks

Is this post still saying that the supposed iPhone that someone bought in japan is real?? That had to be one of the worst photoshop jobs I have ever seen. I decided to make a little guide to show you some obvious fakes to the photo by showing it along side the image I believe he copied it from. And I'm not even going to mention the obvious perspective problems with the image.

Last edited by Dr. House; 04-18-2010 at 10:21 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. House For This Useful Post:

deucalion0 (04-19-2010), reanimationxp (04-19-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I still think it looks cool. But I don't know, as far as I've known Apple (through it's ipods, mostly), usually they go with a rounded-back design so that it fits in your hand nicely.

It looks like a more grown-up version of the first three iPhones. Actually, it looks kind of like a Zune (gasp, I know).

It'll be interesting to find out what the final product will look like -- I'd like to see them change the design. It's been three years and the iPhone looks dated.

Green Apple
    Thanks

To quote the great Bob Kelso: I don't give a rat's ***!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think its real. Look at past products that Apple's put out, they all started boxy but moved to smooth round edges..ie the iPod, and the iMac. The iPhone 3G and 3GS even got smoother rounder edges. I doubt they would come out with something that looks like that...the thing looks like it would way a ton.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    I would like the aluminum body like the iPad's and MBP's but I heard the aluminum casing caused some signal interferences in the 1st Gen. That's why they moved to plastic.
    Looks like they may be testing some special alloy on these, and it maybe possible it is acting as part of the antenna.

Thanks

Sweet
    Keithsta