+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 4.0 Bluetooth Keyboard & Remote Support Breakdown

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It appears that Apple's new iPhone OS 4.0 has some more hidden (or at least hardly mentioned) features packed away inside for the Bluetooth support. 9to5Mac has released a video
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default iPhone OS 4.0 Bluetooth Keyboard & Remote Support Breakdown

It appears that Apple's new iPhone OS 4.0 has some more hidden (or at least hardly mentioned) features packed away inside for the Bluetooth support. 9to5Mac has released a video detailing some of the iPhone OS 4.0 Bluetooth support for Keyboards and Remotes.

Controls on the keyboard such as music controls, volume, and brightness controls, work great with the iPhone, which is pretty cool. Most other functional buttons aren't assigned to anything at the moment. It should also be noted they are using an Apple keyboard.

This is a feature we've all been playing with via our Jailbroken iDevices on the previous firmwares. While this doesn't quite make a good enough reason to jump aboard the beta, it's both great and unfortunate news

Developers that have spent many hours of hard work creating our current Bluetooth apps for Jailbroken devices will feel a bite, as these apps will become obsolete with the release of iPhone 4.0. Of course, there is always the possibility of future updates to these apps that will further enhance the support built into 4.0, as we tend to usually see from our Jailbroken Apps. While I am all for official support from Apple for this, I do feel for the developers that gave us this feature way before Apple ever did.

Nonetheless, it's great to see that Apple is paying attention, or at least appearing to pay attention.

[Source: 9to5Mac]
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 04-18-2010 at 03:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (04-19-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've always wanted to pull out a keyboard 4 times the size of my cell phone so I could quickly send a text; fantastic!

On the bright side, now I can type from a distance! I sense apple licensed telescopes so we can see the iPhone's screen from across the room!
    Last edited by ownerofspam; 04-18-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Yes, I saw my own grammar mistake and felt like I was required to fix it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ownerofspam For This Useful Post:

ikesmasher (04-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    I've always wanted to pull out a keyboard 4 times the size of my cell phone so I could quickly send a text fantastic!

On the bright side, now I can type from a distance! I sense apple licensed telescopes so we can see the iPhone's screen from across the room!
    bahahaha! Well said sir, well said!

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

if i recall, i think this was mentioned in the Keynote
    If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs mentioned this during his keynote

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, I bought a keyboard at Apple last week but wasn't near my Mac for a few hours so I used it with my iPhone... Why is this even an article?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youngbrammer View Post
    Yeah, I bought a keyboard at Apple last week but wasn't near my Mac for a few hours so I used it with my iPhone... Why is this even an article?
    Lol, watch the video folks. It's a closer look at the built in support for keyboards. Our Jailbroken apps for 4.0 will probably make this work even better, as you can see, not all of the functions on the keyboard are supported in the beta.

Thanks

that is awesome
    Keithsta

Green Apple
    Thanks

The real question is if it will work with ANY Bluetooth HID standard keyboard, or only Apple licensed keyboards?

Thanks

Nice! But, I only have the 1st Gen.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

woa dude you need to upgrade this september.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this will be a handy feature for the ipad as laying your ipad on the desk to type on the screen of the ipad is ridiculously stupid, you find yourself sitting close up to the desk and looking straight down on the screen
    they need some kind of a tilt holder or something for the ipad plus a wireless keyboard or a usb keyboard if they actually put a usb port on the damn thing

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is pretty cool, although I doubt I will end up using it much...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

This is so stupid, why would anyone use a keyboard 5 times bigger than the iPhone and on a small screen, lame and pointless.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I could see it being useful if you're using an IM client and having a long conversation. I find it faster to type on a keyboard than thumb-pecks on my landscape touchscreen.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^But then why would you be having a long conversation on the iPhone, surely you would have moved over to your computer and your not going to carry that keyboard around with you everywhere.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    anyone know if theres new sounds for sms or can you make new sms tones for 4.0?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would say that the market for this feature is geared towards those that are weight-cautious. I find it very useful that, if all I need to do is write emails, there is no point of carrying a full laptop or even iPad with me, but a keyboard would suffice. The keyboard would weigh very little and for example, could fit easily in a briefcase. This makes it seem like your phone is your portable computer where you can just slip into your pocket when you are done.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    This is a feature we've all been playing with via our Jailbroken iDevices on the previous firmwares. While this doesn't quite make a good enough reason to jump aboard the beta, it's both great and unfortunate news:

Developers that have spent many hours of hard work creating our current Bluetooth apps for Jailbroken devices will feel a bite, as these apps will become obsolete with the release of iPhone 4.0. Of course, there is always the possibility of future updates to these apps that will further enhance the support built into 4.0, as we tend to usually see from our Jailbroken Apps. While I am all for official support from Apple for this, I do feel for the developers that gave us this feature way before Apple ever did.

Nonetheless, it's great to see that Apple is paying attention, or at least appearing to pay attention.
    The work that the devs put into bluetooth for jailbroken-only devices won't go to waste at all. Like you said, their apps can be expanded to cover features that Apple will undoubtedly miss.. for instance, bluetooth support for popular non-Apple keyboards and other bluetooth devices. Doesn't that sound like such a jailbreak-scene thing to do: Apple doesn't support a set of devices that it really, really should, so jailbreakers mod in support.

The jailbreak scene is as strong as ever: filling in the feature-support cracks that Apple leaves wide open.

Thanks
    I have tried to do my homework(essays) on the iphone and this would have come in very handy. not to mention trying to manipulate an excel spreadsheet on an iphone is doable, but not a piece of cake. a keyboard would undoubtedly make this easier. also, the mini apple keyboard is pretty small.