+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple in Hot Water Over Moisture Indicators?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A lot of companies (and Apple isn't any different) don't even turn on the device before sending a replacement they just throw it into their pile of "to be stripped
    iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

A lot of companies (and Apple isn't any different) don't even turn on the device before sending a replacement they just throw it into their pile of "to be stripped for parts" piles and ship off a refurbished device which also most companies do they just send you a previously repaired device after stating they will send your device back fixed. Microsoft even got caught sending a refurbished 360 back to someone who was told he would get a brand new one.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Gotta love it when people are openly telling others to commit fraud. How about this.... if YOU messed up your phone by dropping it in a puddle, toilette or whatever how about you grow up and spend the $199 for a refurb. If you can't afford that then maybe you shouldn't own such an expensive phone (or take better care of your expensive things). I dropped mine in the pisser, bit the bullet and laid down the dough. The problem with taking the attitude some of you are taking (the ones that are openly admitting to fraud or encouraging others to commit fraud) is karma is a big beotch and some day someone is going to rip you off.

So when that happens, don't cry, don't whine, don't go to the police.... bend over and take it because you deserve it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope for the win, and nice pic!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Good luck to her. Hope she pulls through!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
    How can u tell if your moisture indicator is activated? I never even knew the iPhone had a moisture indicator!
    Shine a light into the audio jack. At the bottom you will see pink or white. That's it. I hear there are 3 or 4 of them in any iPhone though. They sneaky.

Hey i turned 21 today

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Happy Birthday Drewd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I dropped my phone in the toilet once.. but luckily I had applecare I dont know why they want to spend the time and money for lawyers when they could fix it for free.

How to Fix Your Indicators:
    1.Rub the triggered indicators with chlorine!
    2. Watch the color change right before your eyes, like magic!

/thread

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    What about the screen protectors that was, not now, that was put on by APPLE EMPLOYEE!
    If you can provide a receipt for the transaction, I am sure they would be willing to work with you. I wasn't aware they had that service though. I didn't think they ever sold skins/shileds that required moisture to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Gotta love it when people are openly telling others to commit fraud. How about this.... if YOU messed up your phone by dropping it in a puddle, toilette or whatever how about you grow up and spend the $199 for a refurb. If you can't afford that then maybe you shouldn't own such an expensive phone (or take better care of your expensive things). I dropped mine in the pisser, bit the bullet and laid down the dough. The problem with taking the attitude some of you are taking (the ones that are openly admitting to fraud or encouraging others to commit fraud) is karma is a big beotch and some day someone is going to rip you off.

So when that happens, don't cry, don't whine, don't go to the police.... bend over and take it because you deserve it.
    Or just pay the ten bucks a month for accidental damage insurance. As far as Karma, that's a load of bull LOL.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-18-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Moisture Detector Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
    How can u tell if your moisture indicator is activated? I never even knew the iPhone had a moisture indicator!
    First of all, if you are talking about the Zagg Shield, you don't spray water on the iphone. You spray their liquid sparingly onto the screen and the back of the Zagg Shield. you then apply it and use the Zagg rubber damper to push out all the air bubbles. I have used this successfully on the 3G and 3GS iphones. You do not spray anywhere near the connectors!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"These indicators will be activated when they come in direct contact with water or a liquid containing water."

Liquid containing water?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yep, like an alcoholic drink, for example. you get alcohol and water based liquid

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travelbytommy View Post
    I would love to be part of some class action lawsuit against Apple in this matter. A few months ago my iphone went nuts so I had to take it in to get fixed/replaced. I was told the issue was corrosion between 2 pins on where the connector gets attached. Then the genious said that because the moisture sensor was activated they couldn't do anything and that I had to buy a new phone instead. I was furious, but left thinking I would call my lawyer and see if there was anything I could do that way. Before I got home, I decided I would go to another Apple store, and try getting a replacement based on the fact that I have cracks on the plastic back (white 3gs), and they also mentioned that the moisture sensor was activated, but had the manager approve it because the sensor and the cracking were not related. Now keep in mind I have had a case and a screen protector on it the entire time I have had it, and I haven't had it anywhere near water. One of the geniouses said that the sensor can even be activated by humidity from your finger plugging the dock hole while you are using your phone. I would LOVE to see Apple go down in the lawsuit.
    So travelbytommy, what was the reason/problem you stated to the 2nd apple store to replace your iphone?

BTW i have the crack on the back of my white iphone 32gb 3gs also.
    Last edited by altezzais650; 04-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm just posting this so people know of an interesting scientific result, if you don't already know. When the water sensor indicators come in contact with bleach, the strips return to their pure white state before the water contact. For any handy-capable person with some ingenuity [i.e. soaking then leaving in rice ], perhaps interesting results may be obtained. Have fun guys and never be forced into paying for water damage...allegedly of course. I don't believe in karma, therefore there isn't a way that it can affect me. In fact, it's sacrilegious as a Christian to believe in karma, it can be seen as worshiping a false idol, so go burn in the bad place ha.
    Last edited by convlkt; 04-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Finally!!! I've had the unpleasant experience of having to argue with Apple employees about my tripped sensor. Twice! Once for me, once for my wife's phone. Both times, neither phone had come into contact with water. Best I could manage was a 20 percent discount on the refurbed phone.

So I'm glad they finally changed their policy. But Karma smiled on me yesterday. I went it to replace my wife's phone because the speaker and power button had stopped working. It was out of warranty so I knew I had to pay for a refurb and was hoping I could convince the manager to throw in the 20 percent since I was buying two IPADs at the same time.

Lo and behold, the guy asked me if he could take it apart to see if some how wires had become disconnected. I said yes and a few minutes later he came back out and said that he couldn't power the phone back on so he was going to give me a replacement for free. lol

For the first time I left an Apple Store smiling.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If you can provide a receipt for the transaction, I am sure they would be willing to work with you. I wasn't aware they had that service though. I didn't think they ever sold skins/shileds that required moisture to apply.

Or just pay the ten bucks a month for accidental damage insurance. As far as Karma, that's a load of bull LOL.
    The only way I knew it was I bought a 3 pack and could not get the things on without a lot of air bubbles!

My son told me to go to the ATT store and they would put it on!

I went to the ATT store and when the Greeter ask my name so I could wait I ask him if they had them and he said yes and I said would they install it and he said sure! After my wait the guy that waited on me jumped on it and I personally did not watch as I was shoping for a hands free unit but he gave me the phone with the protector installed!

As far as receipt it was charged to my phone account so I am sure there is a record!

I also don't know how they get the phones out of the sweat shops in China with out the pads turning red!

I have never had a problem with the ATT store other than the wait! On a good day takes about 45 minutes! But I have always been buying! Hope I don't have to have to use the warranty, but it is apple care so I don't see a problem!

I just hope the gal wins the case and would be nice if one of the juriors stuck the iphone up Steve Jobs *****

Thanks

I also don't know how they get the phones out of the sweat shops in China with out the pads turning red!

HAHA!

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

perhaps it was just a beta test for "Apple Water"

Apple releases the revolutionary Apple Water [Humor] | Daily iPhone Blog

Gives new meaning to drinking the "apple kool-aid".
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123