+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "iPod Out" Mode = Apple Car Kit?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A closer look at the pre-release beta of iPhone OS 4.0 has uncovered a hidden application that apparently pushes the iPod interface to a car stereo via a video connection.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "iPod Out" Mode = Apple Car Kit?

A closer look at the pre-release beta of iPhone OS 4.0 has uncovered a hidden application that apparently pushes the iPod interface to a car stereo via a video connection. Hints were found by a reader of The Unofficial Apple Weblog in strings within the application's code - like "IAPSSimpleRemoteCarButtonNotification" - of a possible indication that Apple is working on its own car audio integration kit. Though third-party kits have existed for some time, it appears that this Apple-branded application will send iPhone OS menus and even apps to compatible in-dash displays, and allow for voice control where supported.

Last year, Patently Apple revealed an Apple patent application for a method to control the GUI of car entertainment systems. The technology covered by this patent would figure out the capabilities of the system's display and be able to push the user interface to that system accordingly. A system with a full graphic display would presumably get a full iPhone screen, with touch capability if supported, while a lower-res display might be limited to just menus and basic selection controls. Very high-end systems would be able to control apps like Voice Memo, Maps, iCal, and even play back movies.

It's unclear to what extent this technology will play a role in the new application. Initial indications are that the Apple car kit will use the iPod Accessory Protocol to send control signals to a car's entertainment system. Not only would the link support playing a user's iPod music library over the car's sound system, but it would apparently also allow the same control menus to be used to play content that was stored on the car stereo.

Other hints in the application point to a hands-free phone navigation system that would presumably allow incoming calls to be pushed to the car's speaker system and allow the driver to answer the call without picking up the iPhone.

TUAW's tipster also sent along the video below purporting to show the menu system in action:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbco58GnS9c]YouTube - iPodOut.mov[/ame]
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-14-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

nice
    although I don't have a car ;P
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be great. I have been holding back on buying anything for the car that "integrates" with the iphone/ipod because I feel like they are all largely just as cheesy as simply using an audio-input, which is what I currently do. Would love to have something that mounts the iphone similarly to the iPad in the picture and be able to listen to tunes and have gps in the car in a fashion nicer than a suction cup stuck to the windshield.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

*EDIT* ahh i understand now
    Last edited by cookbenj; 04-14-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

this would be wha i been looking for for what seems like years bring it on

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Would love to have something that mounts the iphone similarly to the iPad in the picture
    I don't think it's an iPad, the patent is for controlling the GUI of an in-car entertainment system. So it would be stick the iDevice somewhere and it'll make the screen change and can be controlled by the screen, I think.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow its about time they implemented this feature for cars . I have a mercedes and I had to buy an aftermarket kit to get the songs to play and display music video's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sambam2006 View Post
    display music video's
    that's illegal homeslice. no screens in the front seat

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Perfectly legal here in Japan. Laws differ from place to place, 'homeslice'

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hopefully this would be compatible on my Jaguar's in-dash display…but I'm waiting on Apple to allow us to create playlists directly from the iPhone/iPod without having to use a computer beforehand & go through the syncing process…anybody else think the same?

Thanks

i guess we will be seeing a tomtom car kit for this too ;p]
    killall Terminal[]

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

That is what i'm looking for. I had my iPhone hooked up to my last car stereo, it was great to play Pandora instead of regular music stations. I would love to have my music videos play as well. And "YES" I have a screen in my 350Z that plays videos while I drive. Is it illegal??? Yes, Do i watch them while i'm driving? No! Do I care if it's illegal??? Helllll NO!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sambam2006
    display music video's

that's illegal homeslice. no screens in the front seat

Don't hate! Participate.
    StealthBravo is my Hero!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Actually you can have screens in your front but they have to be at an angle away from the driver, like towards the passenger. Also the ones built into the main stereo are not usuable unless parking brake is on.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

There is always a bypass for the parking brake. I have done it in my last ride, and it was already done in the car that i just bought. I agree that it's not safe to watch videos while driving though. It's just not in the best of interest for yourself, More or less, for other drivers around you.
    StealthBravo is my Hero!!!!!

Thanks
    Check the Parrot MKi9200, has a 2.4 screen and a wireless controller, i installed that in my car, can connect to iphone via bluetooth or dock, pretty neat, was expensive though, costed me 350$ (with install).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Meh... Mercedes Benz already has iPod integration and voice control on their COMAND system. (Although, they are very costly...)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Interesting. Microsoft's Sync for cars lets you navigate through Pandora using your phone's internet connection. This would be one more step in leveraging the phone even more.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungHustla View Post
    Hopefully this would be compatible on my Jaguar's in-dash display…but I'm waiting on Apple to allow us to create playlists directly from the iPhone/iPod without having to use a computer beforehand & go through the syncing process…anybody else think the same?
    You can do an "on the go" playlist currently, although just the one. I would enjoy a feature like this and am shocked that it hasn't yet been integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Taniban View Post
    Meh... Mercedes Benz already has iPod integration and voice control on their COMAND system. (Although, they are very costly...)
    Plenty of car companies have integration. It is nowhere near as nice as this.

Quote Originally Posted by demize95 View Post
    I don't think it's an iPad, the patent is for controlling the GUI of an in-car entertainment system. So it would be stick the iDevice somewhere and it'll make the screen change and can be controlled by the screen, I think.
    You are right. I was getting thoughts of this and the ipad in dash kit mixed in my mind. That said, I wouldn't mind something like this AND have my phone dockable where I can see the gps. Or better yet, just see the gps on the screen, though there is no hint of something like that in the works.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-15-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings