+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Has Apple Killed Palm? If So, Will Apple Buy Palm?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A lot of Apple fans sound as though they are claiming some sort of victory in the wake of news that Palm's financial troubles are likely worse than any outsiders
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Has Apple Killed Palm? If So, Will Apple Buy Palm?

A lot of Apple fans sound as though they are claiming some sort of victory in the wake of news that Palm's financial troubles are likely worse than any outsiders may truly realize. Today, Bloomberg News reported that Palm has officially put itself on the market. That's right, Palm is for sale and officials at the company are working feverishly with a partners to help sell the company and salvage what's left of the once-thriving company.

Palm is said to be working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Frank Quattrone’s Qatalyst Partners to possibly sell the company as early as this week. Having competed primarily (and lost) against Apple and Google, it's apparent that Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein - the developer of Palm’s latest operating system - will not realize his vision of the Pre and Pixi smartphones revitalizing his company and competing on par with other big boys in the mobile space.

Despite initial and altogether unfounded rumors, Apple (at present) is not believed to be among the parties said to be interested in buying Palm, a company that had a market value of better than $870 million prior to the news today that the business itself is now on the market. According to data compiled by Bloomberg, however, Palm is in "good company." In the past year, there have been 133 acquisitions announced within the US computer industry.

What will ultimate come of Palm? Who might acquire the company? Could HTC or Lenovo swoop in as the buyer as many suspect? These are all questions to which there are presently no clear answers. What is evident, however, is that the industry analysts who predicted a narrowing of major competitors in the smart-phone space could be gaining more momentum for their arguments than earlier anticipated.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 04-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks

i dont think they should buy it
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Down with palm!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Palm Pre = teh iPhone kill3r!1!!!
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

I hope the loud mouth long haired dork who was flappin his gums about the Pre is happy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

the pre has great software, i personally don't own one but had it been more successful and gotten a hardware revision i would definitely consider upgrading to it over the iphone 4g
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

While Apple could easily afford to purchase Palm, they stand absolutely nothing to gain from such a move. Apple already has a hugely popular mobile OS and that's the only thing Palm has to offer. HTC is the most likely buyer because they are an OEM and sell relabeled phones with a variety of OS. Additionally Apple's pending lawsuit against HTC is causing Android to bite them in the ***. Purchasing Palm would enable them to compete with their superior hardware and a modern mobile OS they needn't worried about getting sued for using. Of course, in all likelihood it'll be some state owned/subsidized Chinese mobile tech company that wishes to expand in the United States. Lenovo is just one of the many companies in that category.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    While Apple could easily afford to purchase Palm, they stand absolutely nothing to gain from such a move.
    It's obvious that you haven't seen Palm's list of patents, the patents alone should have Apple, Google, and HTC in a cage battling for the companies acquisition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    It's obvious that you haven't seen Palm's list of patents, the patents alone should have Apple, Google, and HTC in a cage battling for the companies acquisition.
    This. And the Pre's multitasking is excellent and a year ahead of Apple's. I'd never own a Palm smartphone over an iPhone but they're definitely worth taking a look at for Apple, Google, etc.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Haaahaahahaha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really don't see Apple buying Palm unless there are some patents that could benefit Apple in the long run.
    Here is another way to look at this too: There are many ex-Apple employees within the doors of Palm. If you were Apple, would you really want the same people that jumped ship for the "greener pastures" to suddenly fall back into your pasture again? Neither would I.
    I applaud Palm for the great run they had, but over the past couple of years, they have made some HUGE mistakes. One of the biggest is making the Pre an exclusive Sprint phone. WhoTF uses Sprint anymore? Honestly, They would have had a much larger demand had they gone with Verizon. At least then they could have competed with a larger 3G network than AT&T. Instead they tied themselves to an already sinking ship. (for the record, Sprints Nextel services is mostly what is keeping them afloat at this time.)
    I actually see Microsoft or HTC scooping this up, late in the "9th inning".

There is my 2 cents - no refunds.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Who cares...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iHawk View Post
    I really don't see Apple buying Palm unless there are some patents that could benefit Apple in the long run.
    Here is another way to look at this too: There are many ex-Apple employees within the doors of Palm. If you were Apple, would you really want the same people that jumped ship for the "greener pastures" to suddenly fall back into your pasture again? Neither would I.
    I applaud Palm for the great run they had, but over the past couple of years, they have made some HUGE mistakes. One of the biggest is making the Pre an exclusive Sprint phone. WhoTF uses Sprint anymore? Honestly, They would have had a much larger demand had they gone with Verizon. At least then they could have competed with a larger 3G network than AT&T. Instead they tied themselves to an already sinking ship. (for the record, Sprints Nextel services is mostly what is keeping them afloat at this time.)
    I actually see Microsoft or HTC scooping this up, late in the "9th inning".

There is my 2 cents - no refunds.

I agree with this as well. Palm made a HUGE mistake going with Sprint exclusively as Sprint is and has been a sinking ship for quite some time now. I was actually pretty excited about the Pre and Pixi coming out until I found out that Sprint scooped those up. Even though Verizon carries them its too little too late.

I know they are both slated for release on ATT soon and I will probably end up getting one just because I like to try new things but ultimately Palm needs to call it a day.....they had a great run. But alas its time to bid adeiu.

Thanks

not happening
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree their deal with sprint was stupid, if they went with att or verizon they would be doing alright. Sprint sucks, worse carrier in the US. I feel bad for Palm they have made some seriously awsome stuff, they were way b4 their time with most of their phones. its a sad sad day. Would be nice to see a bad ars HTC phone running palm OS though
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Playing Taps.
    Last edited by reyg25atx; 04-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife had the Pre and it was a greate phone but the bigges downfall is the hardware problem she got 3 Palm Pre and all had the same problem. I like the phone my the web browser was really fast and the phone fast too but after so many app running at the same time it run really slow and your battery die really quick the screen burns and the touch screen is not that response and last but not least not to many apps.

Thanks
    they shouldn't but palm at all

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's always sad to see a company go down this way, especially one that has been around a while. I remember being given a palm pilot by my neighbor who just upgraded to a color screen version. Those things were awesome in their day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    This. And the Pre's multitasking is excellent and a year ahead of Apple's. I'd never own a Palm smartphone over an iPhone but they're definitely worth taking a look at for Apple, Google, etc.
    the multitasking for the new iphone OS is still worse than the pre one!

i want either cards, or circuitous. none of this double tap the home button crap

Quote Originally Posted by ZmanGroup View Post
    they shouldn't but palm at all
    what's a butt palm?
    Last edited by lolcats1; 04-12-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost