+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iAd Mobile Platform Officially Unveiled

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As expected, Steve Jobs introduced a new advertising platform today dubbed "iAd." Unveiled as a mechanism to help developers make money, Apple will host the ads and provide devs with
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iAd Mobile Platform Officially Unveiled

As expected, Steve Jobs introduced a new advertising platform today dubbed "iAd."

Unveiled as a mechanism to help developers make money, Apple will host the ads and provide devs with a 60% cut. "We have a lot of free or reasonably priced apps. We like that," said Jobs. "But our devs have to find ways to make money. So our devs are putting ads into apps, and for lack of a better way to say it, we think most of this kind of advertising sucks."

Pointing to the difference between digital advertising on mobile devices and that which is found on a desktop computer, Jobs reiterated that advertising dollars are closely related to all things "search" related. On a mobile platform, however, delivering targeted advertising campaigns can be a bit more difficult.

Essentially, iPhone/iPad users should brace for an advertising blitz on their mobile devices the likes of which they've never seen. In a nutshell, "iAd" comes built into the new OS. What it provides is the opportunity for users to "click and consume" easily. That is, they can absorb the ads - and even interact with them - without ever having to exit an application. In this regard, the "iAd" mobile advertising platform is definitely a unique arrival to the mobile advertising world and one that will probably be widely emulated (ripped-off) before long.

Pointing to the reach and lucrative potential of the new iAd platform, Apple is clearly making an effort to inspire developers to keep up the good work for more in return than just a pat on the back after a frustrating and extended wait to have their work approved and welcomed into the App Store

Image via Engadget

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Two game changing questions about iADs: Will they be integrated into things like the SB and will you be able to pay to make them go away, much like the premium vs lite apps today?

1st
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks
    I suppose the devs must have some incentive to keep making good free and reasonably priced apps, but I will be more than happy if someone creates a jailbroken app that blocks iAd entirely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to miistahmagic For This Useful Post:

blind56 (04-08-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

My couple of free slots are gone. Sorry

Thanks

Is this good or bad for normal users (clearly not devs)
    "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
    -Steve Jobs

Thanks

I say good. better apps for free. Plus you can exit the add at any time

Twitter: @tshoults

adp
    Thanks

Another reason why jailbreaking should/will never die.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

People really need to know what they're talking about before they write. If you actually read any of the live blogs, rather than just seeing "iAd" and freaking out, you'd know all this does is replace old ads. If there's an ad in an app now, you click on it and it opens something in safari. All this does is change that so if you click on it, it opens up within the app and obviously they can make the ads interactive and what not. There won't be any ads on the springboard, you aren't forced to click on them, etc. So calm down people.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasper44 For This Useful Post:

bllewisii (04-09-2010), Gajet (04-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    People really need to know what they're talking about before they write. If you actually read any of the live blogs, rather than just seeing "iAd" and freaking out, you'd know all this does is replace old ads. If there's an ad in an app now, you click on it and it opens something in safari. All this does is change that so if you click on it, it opens up within the app and obviously they can make the ads interactive and what not. There won't be any ads on the springboard, you aren't forced to click on them, etc. So calm down people.
    Quoted for truth. All this will do is give the devs more incentive to give us free things. It will not shut down your phone as the rumor a few weeks ago suggested. I for one was scared to death about iAd....until this morning. I think this is amazing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Project:Vapor For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (04-08-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ajblue7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miistahmagic View Post
    I suppose the devs must have some incentive to keep making good free and reasonably priced apps, but I will be more than happy if someone creates a jailbroken app that blocks iAd entirely.
    i know, everyone hates ads, i don't think by the description that the ads are going to be much of a problem especially since you did get the app for free. I takes months to make apps and if anyone trys to block the ads i think they should get shot. if your to cheap to buy the app be grateful with the free one and deal with the ads. the devs should get paid for their work, and if the users can get it for free thats another plus

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone else view this as less of an incentive for devs and more of a "we want to make money off of the ads that devs integrate into their free apps" move by Apple? Sure the devs make 60% of the ad money, but that 40% that Apple is making is all new revenue for them, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajblue7 View Post
    i know, everyone hates ads, i don't think by the description that the ads are going to be much of a problem especially since you did get the app for free. I takes months to make apps and if anyone trys to block the ads i think they should get shot. if your to cheap to buy the app be grateful with the free one and deal with the ads. the devs should get paid for their work, and if the users can get it for free thats another plus
    The only problem with this statement is that I don't think there is any sort of required limitation to keep this to free apps only. They could very well charge you ten bucks for an app and still have it integrate iAd. What about data usage. Luckily in the US we are on unlimited data (as of right now anyway). This isn't so for all of the rest of the world with iPhones.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-08-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Does anyone else view this as less of an incentive for devs and more of a "we want to make money off of the ads that devs integrate into their free apps" move by Apple? Sure the devs make 60% of the ad money, but that 40% that Apple is making is all new revenue for them, is it not?
    its not all revenue and ill explain, for one the 40% taken out helps pay apple developers that help create many of the features of the os. also iAD would use some developers that need to be ready they need to be able to fix bugs and problems that just about everything has. they also will be working on improving it and the way iad is most likely they will need a good amount of people to be finding companies and products willing to have ads, approving the ads. because apple isn't google they don't have thousands of people wanting to advertise.

Of course they do make some revenu from it, why would you want to make something if there was nothing in it for them???

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What about data usage. Luckily in the US we are on unlimited data (as of right now anyway). This isn't so for all of the rest of the world with iPhones.
    You don't have to click on them...if you don't click on them now, you still don't have to click on them if it's an iAd.

Thanks

I think you missed my point. We already have ads done by devs. Apple simply wants to cash in on these ads now and are masking this by saying "it will make things better for devs." I am not saying it will not make things better for devs. What I am saying is I really doubt that is the main driving force here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    You don't have to click on them...if you don't click on them now, you still don't have to click on them if it's an iAd.
    I imgaine it will still use data to load the ad though...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-08-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

The only problem with this statement is that I don't think there is any sort of required limitation to keep this to free apps only. They could very well charge you ten bucks for an app and still have it integrate iAd. What about data usage. Luckily in the US we are on unlimited data (as of right now anyway). This isn't so for all of the rest of the world with iPhones.
    this is true, but they did say that they wanted to do it for free apps, and really if apple makes every app have iad i will hate them and say devs ill give you a cookie if you block it. but i think it will be an option given to developers and so far none of the paid apps chose to use ads in them. If an app does do that, i like to know what im buying to i always check the comments and if a paid app has ads in it im sure there will be people complaining in the comments

Thanks

I suppose my main fear is seeing tons of free apps now that are just ridden with ads if/when it proves profitable. If it is an app you use frequently I can easily see ads being way more profitable than a one time fee of $5.00

Thanks

I think you missed my point. We already have ads done by devs. Apple simply wants to cash in on these ads now and are masking this by saying "it will make things better for devs." I am not saying it will not make things better for devs. What I am saying is I really doubt that is the main driving force here.

If you haven't caught on yet apple is a perfectionist to make it better for the users, i for one always accidentally click ads and it brings up safari and i get pissed off. this way apple has made it so you can check out a product painlessly and not have to think of an add so much because its integrated. Of course apple does get some of the pie but im sure apple was recieving complaints that all of these game ads now and that its annoying everytime they launch safari.

on a side note i cant wait for opera mini. and trust me apple will approve it its only been like 2weeks now and apps usually take about a month, also their is a lot of stuff that goes into a browser app and needs to be thoroughly searched through. as of now apple gets nothing from you using safari, they don't really care. Also they have approved bing and bing is a product of their rival microsoft. opera is just a little small browser developer, a very small amount of people use opera as of now because it isn't very well known.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

the ads we already have to deal with a annoying enough and now this?!

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miistahmagic View Post
    Probably, we have AdBlock and a bunch of others to block AdMob, and Safari. And you can edit txt files for Cydia to block Cydia Ads
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

did you actually watch the keynote....specifically the part about iAds?
    doesn't sound like it. While I was watching this from the business point of view, I was actually really impressed with iAds. They were more like mini apps within the app compared to the adMob ads you see in free apps now. it doesn't sound like they will be present all the time....something like every three mins one might pop up, and you can completely ignore them. honestly, it looked like the first fresh look at advertising that i've seen in a long time.....surprised it came from apple, instead of...well.....someone in advertising.

I'll def be likely to click on an ad here and there to help the devs out a little......no real reason not to since it won't take me out of the app