+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Wants The iPhone! Is This The Moment of Truth?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
^ what? Why would you unlock if you have AT&T ?
    Thanks

^ what?

Why would you unlock if you have AT&T ?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Saying they want it and actually getting it are two different things entirely!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard on tv the other night about Verizon taking on the iPhone... I think we may see this happen! I don't think they would be talking about it on tv if it was not true... but only time will tell...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A couple posts ago (might have been the one about new MacBook Pros), you called a MacBook a MacCook.

Seriously?

Matt
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 04-07-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Cleaning up complaints about misspelled words...
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Thanks

It's not coming to Verizon. It never will.

Verizon's data network is so horrible. And that's not just speculation. I signed up for it for a week to try out the Droid. I had full 3G coverage and my iPhone was pulling 3MB a second when the droid was only getting about 1.5MB a second.

The ***** at Verizon tried telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, but whatever. I know speed tests when I see them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 876 Posts

Verizon wanting the iPhone is like saying a fat kid wants cake. This is pointless news

Green Apple
    Thanks

it's not happening. As pointed out by people in the past to bring the iPhone to Verizon means Apple would need to approve completely separate commercials for both ATT and VZW touting different features.

ATT commercials tout the ability to talk at the same time you use the web. This is simply not possible on a CDMA network so ATT will have a field day pointing out how the iPhone on their network has more features than the iPhone on VZW

Apple marketing is not going to allow that sort of confusion to be created. Maybe it will come in 2012 when they actually get a sizable LTE network in place.

Also as others have pointed out, while the VZW network is larger and more reliable, their data rates simply don't hold up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to qumahlin For This Useful Post:

RonHC (04-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah Verizons data network IS Horrible...my Verizon phone through my job is horrible!! I put my iPhone to use at work more than Verizons slow, glitchy network...
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 04-07-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Blah

My iPhone is a Part of Me Zehlek's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love a T-Mobile iPhone so I could buy one and use with wind in Canada. I wish we could get American service and not pay roaming in Canada.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    it's not happening. As pointed out by people in the past to bring the iPhone to Verizon means Apple would need to approve completely separate commercials for both ATT and VZW touting different features.

ATT commercials tout the ability to talk at the same time you use the web. This is simply not possible on a CDMA network so ATT will have a field day pointing out how the iPhone on their network has more features than the iPhone on VZW

Apple marketing is not going to allow that sort of confusion to be created. Maybe it will come in 2012 when they actually get a sizable LTE network in place.

Also as others have pointed out, while the VZW network is larger and more reliable, their data rates simply don't hold up.
    ^^This^^

Give this man a Thumbs Up and a Cookie
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Let's all wish for a Verixionie, Tra--Meble, a SpingMabil version too

Green Apple
    Thanks

me too I hate AT&T, I never thought of Verizon though but I might give it a try, may be Verizon might come up with some plan to boost the new user from AT&T that if you are a AT&T customer and wants to join Verizon, Then the termination fee which will be initially paid by customer later will be reimbursed by Verizon.

Imagine how many customer will break off from AT&T

Verizon do something like this and you will be loaded with customer .......

Thanks

read my sig!

BTW: The slow data speeds (EVDO, or CDMA's 3G) on Verizon and constant switching to 1xRTT [ (because CDMA is glitchy) (which is like 3 times slower than EDGE!) ] will suck. (In my opinion CDMA is good for coverage and call quality only).
    Last edited by ty22; 04-06-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy103 View Post
    Dame Verizon suck why not T-mobile.
    you can already use iphone on T-mob with the magic of unlocking

Thanks

Granted, T-Mobile isnt the largest, but their coverage is great in Phoenix. AT&T sucks out here. I sell both, and T-Mobile is 90% of the sales out of my store. AT&T has a 50% return rate because of coverage issues. Been using an iPhone on T-Mobile since unlocking began, and have NO issues with coverage. A lot of the reception issues I deal with on T-Mobile are because of the phone the customer picked, not the service.

Thanks

"you can already use iphone on T-mob with the magic of unlocking"

it's not the same as if t-mobile were an official carrier, unlocked phones on t-mobile on get edge, not 3g

Green Apple
    Thanks

The iPhone is not coming to Verizon. End of story. It's really sad hearing so many delusional people come up to me at work and say "Oh yeah, I'm not going to even bother buying the iPhone 3GS since Verizon's getting the iPhone this summer." I'm always like, "Actually, no, Verizon isn't getting the iPhone this summer. Verizon WANTS the iPhone this summer, but they will more than likely not get it, seeing as how their network is based on CDMA rather than SIM and they can't seem to come to terms with Apple." ......... Point of story, these rumors need to die. This should no longer be discussed unless Apple themselves announce something.

Also, Verizon is only available within the U.S. Wouldn't it be lame to go on a trip to Europe and not be able to use your iPhone? It's just so limited. I'm by no means a fan of ATT, but I think I'd rather have their overall coverage rather than Verizon's U.S. coverage.
    Last edited by nightsoarer; 04-06-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    i really hope the dont

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

As long as it doesn't affect jailbreaking with multiple firmwares that need special jailbreaking steps or headaches or whatever I sincerely hope they go to multiple carriers. That can only mean better prices for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    "you can already use iphone on T-mob with the magic of unlocking"

it's not the same as if t-mobile were an official carrier, unlocked phones on t-mobile on get edge, not 3g
    Well as far as that goes alot of people that have AT&T as the carrier don't get 3G either.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 04-06-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    you can already use iphone on T-mob with the magic of unlocking
    This assumes one buys an older phone. Try unlocking a new 3GS. Not happening today!!!

Oh BTW: And if you're lucky to get an older and used iPhone, pray for an older BB, and also pray for an old iBoot. I don't carry my laptop around everywhere I go just in case my 3GS needs to be rebooted. And ..... I sure as he-double hockey sticks don't have an internet connection in my car for my laptop just in case my 3GS needs to be restored.