+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Rumors Were Right! iPhone OS 4.0 Will Include Full Multitasking Support

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant I don't know another consumer electronics company that charges premiums for its software updates. And don't even bother trying to list any that do; if there
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I don't know another consumer electronics company that charges premiums for its software updates. And don't even bother trying to list any that do; if there are any, that means I didn't already know about them, so therefore they don't matter.
    This isn't just a "software update".. think of it more like an OS overhaul. Win 95 - 98 - 2000 - XP - Vista - W7... you have to pay for all those "software updates". Tiger - Leopard - Snow Leopard... same concept. "Minor" updates within the same overall OS are free. 10.6 > 10.6.2 >10.6.3 but when you go up to 10.7 this is considered a "major" update and warrants a fee.

What I meant is they're not going to say "And we're adding multitasking to the iPhone! However, it will not be available for any iPhone versions including and preceding the 3G S." They'll have to announce a new phone right there, then.

I know they did the voice control thing, but that was more hardware than software as hackers can't even get that working on the 3G. (Bluetooth and MMS were just dumb software restrictions.)
    It's anticipated that the annoucment of the new iPhone will take place at this event also. Usually Apple does this a couple months before the in store/ship date much like the last 3 iPhones and the iPad.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 04-06-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

5 years later... smh
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone after_burners's Avatar
    Thanks

well if multi tasking is going to lower my bat more I don't want it my bat life is bad enough as it is

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by after_burners View Post
    well if multi tasking is going to lower my bat more I don't want it my bat life is bad enough as it is
    I agree, i can barely get a full day on my 3Gs. rather not have it go down to a 2 hour battery life phone, instead of 4

Thanks

Can anyone say, new iPhone only supported? They will probably make something up about battery life and it will be a iPhone 4G exclusive. And this is very obvious, by the way. Apple knows and we know they would be in big trouble if the new OS did not have multitasking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This isn't just a "software update".. think of it more like an OS overhaul. Win 95 - 98 - 2000 - XP - Vista - W7... you have to pay for all those "software updates". Tiger - Leopard - Snow Leopard... same concept. "Minor" updates within the same overall OS are free. 10.6 > 10.6.2 >10.6.3 but when you go up to 10.7 this is considered a "major" update and warrants a fee.

It's anticipated that the annoucment of the new iPhone will take place at this event also. Usually Apple does this a couple months before the in store/ship date much like the last 3 iPhones and the iPad.
    Why don't Android/BlackBerry/gaming console/etc. users have to pay for updates then? And I didn't think they announced the 3G S at the 3.0 event last year, they only announced it like a month before its release, and no iPhone has been released before June in the past.

(oh and look at that, 900 posts =])

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Sounds great! Can't wait to load 4.0 on my iPad on Thursday
    I hate you. This really makes me want to pay the $99 developer fee.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Last i checked ipad owners get one free update so os 4.0 count as that free update. Then thats when the payable updates start to roll out
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so on thursday they are going to announce it.

When do you guys think it will be released??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
    When do you guys think it will be released??
    Alongside the new iPhone.

Thanks

and no iphone has been released before june in the past.

(oh and look at that, 900 posts =])
    you never know they might change up and ride the ipad wave into the summer with a early released and catch people off guard and make it a frenzy
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

isnt 4.0 going to be available Thursday? same day as annoucement via itunes?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    Just wondering if they are going to cut off addons like they did for 3GS and 3G..they cut the Movie maker etc from the 3G.
    Are they going to cut off Multitasking from the 3G also..seeing perhaps the machine is not going to make it because it has nos a lot of Memory ??

I`m afraid that could Happend..Also they could only put that Multi tasking for only ChipA4...

So dont be so happy till we see the thing. Thats Apple!

And I think Apple should put some script that when you setup your iphone from scratch everytime or so.. you would be able to choose your Language and then the rest of languange should be deleted for SPACE, Performance etc...
    having all that Languange I dont even Speak is causing a lot of space, performance drop, Apps loading bit slower etc..etc..
    What do you guys think about that ???
    I am looking forward to the official announcement on Thursday to find out if there IS a hardware limitation. My 3g runs multi-tasks via backgrounder and proswitcher so i know the hardware can handle it. Not much change if any to battery life doing so either. If 4.0 is full support on a 3g i may have to upgrade, possibly before a jb is available as that the multitasking is really all i use the jb for. No need for an unlock, and the other items i have installed and running are NOT something i HAVE to have to be happy. Just my 2 cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    I was directing that at the guy who was so happy to load it on his iPad. Last I checked all iPad updates are not free
    I'll happily pay for a firmware update on my ipad as long as they are worth it. I recently paid to upgrade my MacBook from tiger to leopard. No big deal as it's the standard for the computing industry. Unless your a cheap arse that's used to downloading updates from warez sites. Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acidsurfr View Post
    I am looking forward to the official announcement on Thursday to find out if there IS a hardware limitation. My 3g runs multi-tasks via backgrounder and proswitcher so i know the hardware can handle it. Not much change if any to battery life doing so either. If 4.0 is full support on a 3g i may have to upgrade, possibly before a jb is available as that the multitasking is really all i use the jb for. No need for an unlock, and the other items i have installed and running are NOT something i HAVE to have to be happy. Just my 2 cents
    I`m also running Backgrounder with Circuitos but sometimes it just lagggss. Only 2 App extra can be backgrounded except for PHONE app, Mail App, Ipod app, that aleady can be running backgrounded but I personally always Kill them.
    But as for that I remain with 40Mb free and only 2 Apps can be run togheter like BEEJIVE and FB...what ever come after...one of the 2 will be killed automaticly..
    thats for me on my 3G..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    isnt 4.0 going to be available Thursday? same day as annoucement via itunes?
    No its being announced on thursday and it's probably gonna be released when the 4g comes out.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

New iPhone and OS 4.0 in June, here I come

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Let's see what Apple copies from Jailbreak this time
    As we all know, Apple has always copied features that we had before on jailbreak, hope this update has multitasking at last.

Livin the iPhone Life deathbybunnies6's Avatar
    Thanks

Rumors are always right. Well, in the iPhone category they are.
    My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation

The 20th Member
    Thanks

I'm the type of person that goes by the saying i'll believe it when i see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol