Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Expose-like" Multitasking in iPhone 4.0?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Expose-like" Multitasking in iPhone 4.0?

The wait for stock iPhones to be able to do what jailbroken phones have been able to do for a long time may be drawing to a close. AppleInsider is again reporting that iPhone OS 4.0 will enable all apps to take advantage of the multitasking that is already available to native apps like iPod and Mail, among others. Previous leaks had divulged that Apple was indeed working on multitasking, but without discussing the specific way it would be implemented in the user interface. Now, a source is telling AppleInsider that iPhone 4.0's app-switching "will resemble Apple's desktop Exposť feature."

Earlier this month, "people with a proven track record in predicting Apple's technological advances" were reporting that Apple had come up with a "full-on solution" to multitasking on the iPhone OS. Now, according to "people familiar with Apple's plans for the new firmware," hitting the Home button twice will bring up an" Exposť-like interface" displaying icons that represent the currently running apps. You tap the icon for the app you want to switch to, and the task manager zooms out, taking you to the new app.

It's not clear why it's called "Exposť-like," though: Exposť on Mac OS shows "thumbnail" minimized views of the actual running apps, not their icons. Pressing Command-Tab on the Mac OS brings up the icons. AppleInsider's source, however, says that the app-switching method "exhibits several characteristics of the Exposť brand," which is not very informative. As far as I know, Exposť pretty much just has one characteristic: showing all windows and showing the Desktop: yes, pressing F10 instead of F9 shows just one screen per app, but that's pretty much it. And it's not clear how that function would be relevant with just icons rather than app screens, and without a keyboard to choose different modes.

Still, good on Apple for finally getting this in there. Not seeing any reason I'd give up ProSwitcher for this, but we'll see what Apple eventually comes up with: this feature could certainly be cooler than the story makes it sound.

i bet Apple is gonna low blow us with Multitasking: 4th Gen iPhone Exclusive
    like they did with the video recording on the 3GS
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RonHC For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (04-01-2010)

just hope the new battery can handle all this multi-tasking...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

awesome

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

the jailbroken version looks better than whatever apple will make as the official one. xD

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

How will it use the Home button by hitting it twice? So I guess all the stuff you can choose the double click Home opens will be all gone..

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

they should make it like circuitous
    Last edited by s1l3nt; 03-31-2010 at 05:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to s1l3nt For This Useful Post:

iZoom (03-31-2010)

I can see alot of home buttons being broken from over use of this
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

it's about time
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am well aware that the image isn't necessarily "real", but if it looks anything like that I would sure be let down. Every other option in Ctdia looks 10x better...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting...

iPhone? More like MyPhone risingkazuya05's Avatar
    Thanks

I still like Circuitous and ProSwitcher better :P

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    How will it use the Home button by hitting it twice? So I guess all the stuff you can choose the double click Home opens will be all gone..
    Yeah the double-tap for iPod is a great feature, hopefully if this happens, enabling it will be through holding the home button...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

I am on Apple's side 100%, but I personally think Multitasking will be one thing Apple never implements into the iPhone. And if they do, it will only be for certain apps like Pandora that could really use backgrounding. Not Facebook, not Evernote, not any games. And thirdly, if they do implement backgrounding, it will certainly not be visual like PS or this. It will be a silent, always running backgrounding.

EDIT: After re-reading the post, IF by some MIRACLE Apple DOES add a VISUAL multitasking feature, making it look like Command-Tab would be pretty cool ^^
    Last edited by Fodd1337; 03-31-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    That's the mistake Apple made with putting one button on the device.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like ProSwitcher better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fodd1337 View Post
    I am on Apple's side 100%, but I personally think Multitasking will be one thing Apple never implements into the iPhone. And if they do, it will only be for certain apps like Pandora that could really use backgrounding. Not Facebook, not Evernote, not any games. And thirdly, if they do implement backgrounding, it will certainly not be visual like PS or this. It will be a silent, always running backgrounding.

EDIT: After re-reading the post, IF by some MIRACLE Apple DOES add a VISUAL multitasking feature, making it look like Command-Tab would be pretty cool ^^
    my exact thoughts +1
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I think this is not the actual screen but they might introduce Backgrounding/Multitasking..althous we already have Multitasking but only with the PHONE APP, MAIL, iPOD app....only those 3 can run togherter and still doing the things they have to do..

I think they will come with something that you can choose which app you want to set to be Backgrounded.
    Except Games and other that really use LOTT MEmory and CPU...
    And if 4.0 is coming with that.. What will be this for 3G iphone users? Will they be able to run it? I dont think so right? Or they might scrap some features of the 3G like they did with Video for the 3GS only etc..etc..?

If I was the ProSwitcher developer I would have patented it and sued Apple over it. Them sons of biaches deserve it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone reaves205's Avatar
    Thanks

No...Chuck can set Ants on fire by squinting his eyes while looking at them....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast