Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Integrates with Facebook... Anybody Care?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default App Store Integrates with Facebook... Anybody Care?

With much fanfare, the App Store has arrived on Facebook. That is, the massive social networking platform now provides for easy app browsing and purchasing without access to iTunes. The people at Vitrue, who also made the official iTunes Facebook page, ported the App Store to Facebook, which, ostensibly, is designed to make the App Store more accessible and readily searchable.

The freshly established "Search & Share" tab makes it possible to search for apps often with faster results than those achieved through iTunes. That's pretty impressive given the 170,000 or so apps that are presently available in the App Store. But the initial public reaction (across the blogosphere, at least) to the integration of the App Store into Facebook has appeared to be somewhat... unexcited.

While Vitrue is hyping the development like its the greatest thing since sliced bread, it appears that most iPhone/iPod users and Facebook fanatics sort of expected this arrangement at some point anyway. The actual arrival of the App Store to Facebook is merely an "eventuality" coming to fruition. Does this mean that nobody cares? Not necessarily. After all, while the new Facebook offering makes no mention of the iPad, rest assured that iPad apps will soon be available both for review and purchase via Facebook. And, for whatever reason, scouting apps on the iPad through Facebook just seems cooler than the present arrangement.

For now, rather than using Facebook as a means to overtly promote the App Store or its newest additions, it seems the real goal is to make applications as "social" as possible. From the recently added ability to gift apps to this integration of the App Store into what is arguably the most popular social networking site in existence today, the glaring objective is to facilitate the best type of promotion possible for today's app market - word of mouth. Or, maybe in the case, word of wall postings.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

thinhngct (03-31-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

This will benefit both companies as a whole.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why Facebook? Why not a separate web app?

Simply, no.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nice idea. I prob wont use it though, as I do all my facebooking on my iPhone anywho, so I'll just check the App Store on that instead.

@SquareWheel, because Facebook is already one of the most popular websites, it recently over took google in terms of pages hits.

good idea, but pointless
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

I mean why would you need this? The ideas good as a bunch of people are on facebook but why would you need to be able to download apps from there? You got iTunes and the app store on your touch or iPhone... But i guess its just for publicity so that all the non-iphone facebook users see how versitile the iphone / itouch is
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

ho hum this isnt that important to me at all lol

Really don't understand other than keeping connected through notifications and contact syncing why anything from the iPhone should ever be integrated with Facebook.

Seems to me that Facebook integrates with just about anything these days ;]]

What's Facebook?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

whats the point of even doing this......theirs really no point to this. kinda useless.
    Was my post helpful?
    Click the "Thanks" button.

Never even understood why there was an appstore on iTunes...then again.

pretty useless. if I want to browse apps, I (surprise) visit the appstore

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

i care!
    but, naah, that wont encourage me to buy one!

Thanks

Ha facebook is lame, it's pretty much the equivalent of myspace when it first came out. No customization at all, just basically a data sheet with all the info a stalker-to-be would ever need. Also, I don't care whether or not a pickle can get more friends than *celebrity* or how many cows you've raised on farmville ~_~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    @SquareWheel, because Facebook is already one of the most popular websites, it recently over took google in terms of pages hits.
    I don't see why people would want something integrated with Facebook. It's a social networking site, it has nothing at all to do with mobile software.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What's Facebook?
    i like books

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont have a facebook so...