Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: Video Apps Must Adapt to AT&T's Network

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple: Video Apps Must Adapt to AT&T's Network

Streaming video apps were verboten on the App Store for years, while AT&T's network was falling over itself trying to handle just basic connectivity. Finally, after customer outcries forced AT&T to beef up their network - particular in the larger cities where many iPhone users dwell - apps like SlingPlayer were granted the right to stream video over AT&T's network. However, at least according to the carrier, they had to rework their app to "optimize" it for use with AT&T's network. Now, Apple is apparently placing the same restriction on video-streaming apps that will be carried on the App Store. Justin.TV's vice-president Evan Solomon told TechCrunch that Apple required that their iPhone app be able to downgrade to a lower-quality video stream when AT&T's network is congested.

Last year, Sling released its SlingPlayer app for the iPhone, but Apple restricted it to use with WiFi connections only. Sling blamed AT&T and AT&T, in effect, blamed Sling, with an AT&T spokesman saying "it's absolutely cool" that the app can redirect your home TV connection to your phone, "but if we allowed these kinds of services, the highway would quickly become clogged." The problem was, of course, that AT&T already allowed the BlackBerry version of the SlingPlayer, not to mention iPhone apps like Major League Baseball's MLB.com At Bat. Finally, AT&T gave its blessing to SlingPlayer, but only after Sling "optimized [the SlingPlayer app] for our 3G network to conserve wireless spectrum and reduce the risk that an app will cause... extreme levels of congestion."

Now, Apple is apparently laying the same type of restriction on other video-streaming apps. In situations where network conditions become so congested that the standard bitrate can't run on the 3G network, or if the phone switches to the EDGE network, the app will have to support a less bandwidth-intense stream. Justin.TV encodes its content in two versions, adding a 64kbps stream as the fall-back to the standard 200kbps stream. Solomon said that they "were a bit confused by this request at the time, as none of the other live video applications in the App Store had that feature." However, he continued, "Apple was very adamant that we add it—they wouldn’t approve our app without it."

Apple has been encouraging the use of adaptive bitrates for streaming video since officially sanctioning HTTP streaming in iPhone OS 3.0, allowing phones to autoselect the best bitrate for a stream depending on network conditions. And since Apple has been strongly promoting the video capabilities of the new iPad, with its much larger screen, both Apple and AT&T are probably fearing that the onslaught of millions of new video-hogs will choke its network. But it's a double-edged sword: Verizon will be waiting to entice users onto its network, where adaptive bitrate encoding will mean users would be more likely to get full resolution.

what's that i hear about 3g unlocker?

80 countries. 80 carriers. And Apple is making every app conform to the "demands" of one of them. This is why I don't have a girlfriend anymore. There's this thing called a compromise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

3G unrestrictor or My3G should do the trick lol!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (03-30-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T needs to spend it's HUGE profits a little more wisely. How about putting up more towers and adding signal strength, Apple needs to stop spending all their money on lawyers who chase companies with an "i" in front of a product or company name.If these two companies persist on working together, maybe they should help each other out and find a solution to the problem. That would be a great start! You can't blame the apps for clogging up space when you(apple) are the ones who pushed out all the devices enabling them to do so.
    You can't keep building higher, and higher, AND higher, without strengthening the foundation first!!! You don't tell the guy on the 10th floor that he can only use 20 lbs. Of materials.
    What a joke!!!
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 03-31-2010 at 12:53 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry but I don't see what business it is of Apple as to what AT&T does with there bandwith! Unless AT&T told them to do this!

Area51

Lol @ area 51

I've grown to hate AT&T since iPhones birth in 07, it's funny how they can piss off people rather then make them happier

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Maestro For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (03-30-2010), rkisling (03-31-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Lol @ area 51

I've grown to hate AT&T since iPhones birth in 07, it's funny how they can piss off people rather then make them happier
    i think you're alone on that. didn't they just drop their calling plans by like 30$?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Lol @ area 51

Don't get me wrong,and unfortunely I am on AT&T but that's my only option more or less I have, but I can tell you that the 3g coverage they say that they have is bullsh1t!

The only point I am trying to point out how Apple wants to rule the world!

Wish T'Mobile was availible here!

Area51

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First of all TMobile is laughable at best, second according to an independent survey in February, AT&T has the fastest and most consistent 3G network available so I really don't see what all the QQ'ing is about.

AT&T will always suck i cant wait for the HTC EVO im leaving
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

I'm
    happy with AT&T....although I will be getting sprints wimax when 4G is available in NYC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    First of all TMobile is laughable at best, second according to an independent survey in February, AT&T has the fastest and most consistent 3G network available so I really don't see what all the QQ'ing is about.
    If I lived in New York I probality would like them too! Most all big towns have great service and 3g!

If you lived out of a large town you would see how the service sucks at best!

I would almost bet that there are more cell towers in New York than most small states have total!

As far as the survey, do you really belive those?

Its just like AT&T and Tmobiles advertisements, if you look at either one there is no way either should have a drop call but I can testify that AT&T has a lot of them!

AT&T has so many that they have an App to open when you get a drop call so when you can get through it will send gps cordinates and other info so they can check into it!

I all depends if you do or do not live under a cell tower!

Area51

Hi,

Awesome video and specially if it is associated with the Apple then its like an icing on the cake.

Apple has an extra feature or like that ,it makes the video extra interesting by its quality.

Thanks

Just like someone else said; the iPhone is a worldwide device in 80 countries and carriers, yet countless apps are restricted because of what AT&T say. Typical of the US to decide policy for the rest of the world!!

Thanks

WTF does the U.S have to do with this??? If you're jeaolous of our country, just say so!!!

Your ignorant post kind of proves my point. I am in no way whatsoever jealous of your country. If you read the article it states that apps must adhere to AT&T's policies to be accepted by apple. Now AT&T is a US carrier. Would you like me repeat that so that you understand...a US carrier. Apple, the iPhone and the App Store are world-wide entities, why should an app developer based in the UK, China, Europe, Oz, wherever else, have to adhere to AT&T's rules, purely because their network cannot cope. There are millions of world-wide users of the iPhone yet we have to use apps limited because the US carrier cannot cope. Hence my point.

Thanks

"thecork" needs to cork it's mouth!!! Apple made a deal with AT&T because that's where the money is!!! Obviously NOT where you are. What they do with their devices and contracts has nothing to do with the country that you are jeaolous of... Point blank! As much as we "PROUD AMERICANS" hate it as well has nothing, absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Did I mention nothing to do with it??? Just making sure you understand that!

If you feel that i disagree with your opinion that this is bullsh1t, then here's what i posted on the first page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AT&T needs to spend it's HUGE profits a little more wisely. How about putting up more towers and adding signal strength, and Apple needs to stop spending all their money on lawyers who chase companies with an "i" in front of a product or company name. That would be a great start! You can't blame the apps for clogging up space when you(apple) are the ones who pushed out all the devices enabling them to do so.
    You can't keep building higher, and higher, AND higher, without strengthening the foundation first!!! You don't tell the guy on the 10th floor that he can only use 20 lbs. Of materials.
    What a joke!!!

Now, let's not get into bashing countries now, cuz you know what the deal is!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 03-31-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMfreeCuzOfJB'ing View Post

Now, let's not get into bashing countries now, cuz you know what the deal is!!!!!!!!
    This last line sums up everything that i am trying to point out with your ignorance. Latest market research shows at there has been 45 million iPhones sold, around 20 of which are sold in the US. While this is a large proportion, that still means OVER HALF of all iPhones are NOT in the US, hence "that is where the money is" is also a stupid point.

I'm done with your ignorance so won't bother posting again on this topic. Your original post around AT&T validates my point further. The iPhone is a world product, so why should one market influence the experience of all others.

Thanks

What you don't seem to understand is that the remaining of your statistics are between "ALL" remaining countries. Apple obviously staked it's claim in the spot that has about half it's sales in "1" country, not the remaining other countries. You must have done really poorly in math! Since there is almost 200 countries worldwide, and the United States has almost half of the sales for iphones means that you set yourself up for that one.

And remember, you're done commenting. Don't come running your mouth accross seas... it just makes your di*k look smaller.
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 03-31-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast