+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: Video Apps Must Adapt to AT&T's Network

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
While I don't really agree with the crude way iMfreeCuzOfJB'ing put it, he's right. Apple is an American company with 50% of it's customers being American on an American wireless
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

While I don't really agree with the crude way iMfreeCuzOfJB'ing put it, he's right. Apple is an American company with 50% of it's customers being American on an American wireless carrier so it would make sense that they would work together closely to enhance the user experience as much as possible. I don't even see what the problem is anyway, it'd be ridiculous if someone made a media streaming app without a feature that scaled the streamed media's bitrate to the bandwidth available. I'd imagine that Europe has a 2G network along with it's 3G network as a fall-back and it'd be pretty crappy if you could only stream that video at it's highest quality, having to repeatedly wait for it to buffer when you are stuck outside of 3G coverage.

Thanks

Carriers in the UK specifically prohibit streaming video on basic 3G packages. and have caps on data usage.
    The explosion in the amount of data used has to be managed and for the vast majority of users it is fine, but a few users use vast amounts of data with no regard to other users and expect the data network which has been expanded very rapidly to cope with it?
    Maybe things are different in America where people seem to expect the impossible .
    3G networks are expanding very rapidly in most countries - but data usage is expanding quicker.
    If everyone streams video the network will become unusable. 3G was never intended to take such heavy usage and no network would be able to cope with it.
    But, hey, it's fun to bash AT&T, so feel free to carry on.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone who thinks the rest of the world has reason to be jealous of the US (at least in iPhone terms) really needs to get out more.

I work in both the US and the UK and live in either New York or London depending on the time. I have an iPhone contract in each country that gives me calls (600 mins UK, 900 US - but you're charged to receive), unlimited texts and data. This costs me $110 a month in the US even though I had my own iPhone already, in the UK the same plan costs me 20 quid ($30).

On top of that when I'm home in New York I'm just off Bryant Park, although I get 3G all over the city the speeds are normally between 10 and 20kB/s there. Right now I'm near Bank Station in London and just ran my speedtest app, it shows me I'm getting 470kB/s here.

I still think it's a good idea though that Apple prepare apps to be run on bad networks. Most users won't notice the difference. Only those in the states where their '3G' network runs at such slow speeds.

Oh... call quality too. Lines are so bad in the states, 'fuzzy' or quiet, that sometimes it makes sense not to use the phone at all.

Hats off to you guys for inventing the telephone but just leave the improvement of it to us in the rest of the world

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually this one makes some sense....if the network (whatever network you are on) is too busy to get full bandwidth, then instead of completely stopping the video from playing, drop it's bandwidth to something that can be played. Really, even my work internet connection can get congested enough that it can't play videos, having an adaptive bitrate means that it's more likely that I'll actually be able to watch the video that I want to, when I want to.

As for the previous poster, if you are spending $110 for that plan, you are spending too much, AT&T has completely unlimited plans (that work with the iPhone) for less.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    80 countries. 80 carriers. And Apple is making every app conform to the "demands" of one of them. This is why I don't have a girlfriend anymore. There's this thing called a compromise.
    Of all the iPhones sold worldwide, almost 60% of those sales are in the USA, with Western Europe and Asia representing the second largest sector of sales at 26%. The rest of the dozens of countries where the iPhone is sold collectively make up 14% of worldwide sales. Apple wants to take care of the country where their sales dominate the most. Keeping their US carrier happy is a VERY smart move, economically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedy View Post
    Anyone who thinks the rest of the world has reason to be jealous of the US (at least in iPhone terms) really needs to get out more.

I work in both the US and the UK and live in either New York or London depending on the time. I have an iPhone contract in each country that gives me calls (600 mins UK, 900 US - but you're charged to receive), unlimited texts and data. This costs me $110 a month in the US even though I had my own iPhone already, in the UK the same plan costs me 20 quid ($30).

On top of that when I'm home in New York I'm just off Bryant Park, although I get 3G all over the city the speeds are normally between 10 and 20kB/s there. Right now I'm near Bank Station in London and just ran my speedtest app, it shows me I'm getting 470kB/s here.

I still think it's a good idea though that Apple prepare apps to be run on bad networks. Most users won't notice the difference. Only those in the states where their '3G' network runs at such slow speeds.

Oh... call quality too. Lines are so bad in the states, 'fuzzy' or quiet, that sometimes it makes sense not to use the phone at all.

Hats off to you guys for inventing the telephone but just leave the improvement of it to us in the rest of the world
    The thing that most UK users don't take into consideration is the vastness of the USA versus the entire country of England. It costs just a little bit more (sarcasm here, I actually mean a LOT) to get the infrastructure necessary to get 3G to the masses here. The 3G speeds you are seeing is probably due to the incredibly large amounts of bandwidth being used in NYC. If I remember correctly, NYC are the most bandwidth hungry iPhone users in the world. That certainly doesn't help matters. Here in Iowa (yes, much lesser population) my bandwidth is currently clocking in at 1888 kilobits/sec. I am certain ATT cell towers are identical, they are simply far fewer users here than in NYC. I also cannot speak for your contract, but I assume you cannot travel anywhere in Europe without being charged some sort of roaming? In the US, included in the plan is essentially a roaming fee, where one can go anywhere in the 50 states and no be charged extra. Again, I am only using this to point out the fact that most of Europe's countries would need to be included in the "free roaming charge" in order to make an apples to apples comparison of the two providers. Granted, an easy solution to this would be to have an ATT plan that does not include roaming, but I think all US networks have gotten rid of that over the last ten or so years.

As to the improvements to the telephone, I am pretty sure Japan has the US an UK beat hands down. They had what we currently have ten years ago in terms of networks.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-31-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes let's continue comparing the US with UK and Japan.

US carriers have it easy covering all 9.6 MILLION square kilometers that make the cintinental united states unlike the UK (245,000) and Japan (374,000). Man they have their work cut out.

One day people will get this: the US is BIG. Like really, really frigging big n

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

US carriers have it easy covering all 9.6 MILLION square kilometers that make the cintinental united states unlike the UK (245,000) and Japan (374,000). Man they have their work cut out.

You summed up what I was trying to say in a few short sentences
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if iphone goes to verizon i would break a leg to get it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

The problems faced in the US are massive. Even here in the UK no one carrier has coverage everywhere, but if one carrier doesn't cover your area then chances are another will, pop in another SIM and you've changed carriers.

Also, the bandwidth problems are reduced in the UK by caps on data usage, tethering being a paid add on (if you don't pay you can get charged - get a 20k bill and you probably won't do it again) and restrictions on streaming video/radio.

I know everyone wants totally unlimited data but the networks simply can't cope (even here in our little country) and a few people tethering and streaming video is why the data speeds in NYC suffer so much.

3G is far better than Edge but there is still a contention ratio and the mobile data network was designed for browsing the web, not for streaming data, despite what some people think.

I can't help feeling that if AT&T banned (or at least severely restricted) streaming and tethering the vast majority of their iPhone users would find their experience a lot better.

A few people using a lot of data can ruin the experience for the many that don't.

Even in the UK your experience varies and the problems are a hundred times worse in the US but in the case of restricting video streaming I believe Apple/AT&T are only trying to do the best for the majority of their customers. You can't please all the people, all of the time...

Just my 2d's worth.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Confucious..... You have a VERY valid point!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12