Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone: the Rumor that Just Won't Die

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone: the Rumor that Just Won't Die

The rumor about Apple making a separate phone for Verizon lives on. This time, it's the Wall Street Journal pushing the story, though, and the financial markets got so excited by the news that the price of Apple stock shot past its all-time high. According to the report, Apple is working with two manufacturers to build two nearly identical fourth-generation iPhones, both of which would begin shipping in late summer.

Apple has released a new model of the iPhone every June or July since 2007, and the fact that there's a new phone coming in pretty much a foregone conclusion. There is a widespread assumption that Apple's original exclusivity deal with AT&T would be ending this year, and so many observers have speculated about a second US carrier for the iPhone. Though Verizon's network uses CDMA rather than the iPhone's GSM protocol, it's much larger in terms of subscribers than third-place T-Mobile. Rumors about Apple working on a CDMA iPhone have been bouncing around since the middle of last year, with a story in the newspaper USA Today claiming that Apple and Verizon were reopening talks which had broken down years before over financial issues.

The Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition this evening that Apple has contracted with Taiwan-based Pegatron Technology, a subsidiary of ASUSTeK, to build the CDMA version of the fourth-generation iPhone. Citing unnamed "people briefed on the matter," the article written by Yukari Iwatani Kane, Ting-I Tsai and Niraj Sheth said that Hon Hai, whose Foxconn unit currently makes the iPhone (as well as the iPod and the Mac mini), would build the GSM model. An AT&T spokesperson was quoted as saying that "there has been lots of incorrect speculation on CDMA iPhones for a long time. We haven't seen one yet and only Apple knows when that might occur."

Apple stock reached an all-time high of $232.39 at the close of trading on the New York Stock Exchange at 4pm US Eastern Time. In after-hours trading, the price went up almost $4 before settling at $236.05 by 5pm.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 03-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Exciting. I suspended my Verizon account to extend it's contract and building up on upgrade time while I stand with at&t (upgrade on both)! & before it hits Verizon I'll have iPhone on both service! Can't wait to hold one of those with Verizon service and compare the service in NC.
    Last edited by FiLLYBoii; 03-29-2010 at 06:16 PM.

cant wait. this will be awesome!!!

I thought the rumors were squashed for a Verizon iPhone. AT&T i thought just renewed its deal with apple anyway who cares about Verizon anyway,they just raised the early terminate fee by $175. And furthermore how is that deal going to work both want total control both not willing to give it.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    I thought the rumors were squashed for a Verizon iPhone. AT&T i thought just renewed its deal with apple anyway who cares about Verizon anyway,they just raised the early terminate fee by $175. And furthermore how is that deal going to work both want total control both not willing to give it.
    How long is the extended exclusivivity of AT&T and Apple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

tight. i will stay with at&t as i get kick *** coverage in southbay cali. i cant wait for iPhone 4G though

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they do get it so AT$T will have to compete to keep us iPhoners. I would love to see my cell bill lowered, but I won't leave AT$T due to their coverage. Verizon boasts a larger 3G network, but it is slower and AT$T's edge is everywhere.

its not entirely unrealistic to think this could happen. After all one of the iphone's larger competitors palm now has their two webOS devices across Sprint, Verizon and AT&T. So to say that apple isnt considering it with the iphone would be foolish, Especially with their contract with AT&T ending. The more markets you are able to expose your product to, the better your sales (In theory). With WWDC just around the corner there is no telling what they will unveil. In fact that may just be their hold over feature in the new device until next year when they are able to do LTE.

That'll be awesome! Verizon has the best coverage in USA. And since AT&T's network is overloaded with iPhones, Verizon will be a great help.

quit beating around the bush and give us the IPHONE 4

Thanks

Why is it that every time therebis a story that talks about some sort of speculation, everbody posts as if it were fact? Am I somehow reading a different version or something?

It's like: newsflash- scientists say we may have flying cars in the future !!

@randomposter1- oh, I can't wait, I'm so tired of my stupid ground car

@randomposter2- does anyone know if I can still tow a trailer with my new flying car?

@randomposter3- will this be available by April?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Effenpig! For This Useful Post:

HitNWakes (03-30-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Why is it that every time therebis a story that talks about some sort of speculation, everbody posts as if it were fact? Am I somehow reading a different version or something?

It's like: newsflash- scientists say we may have flying cars in the future !!

@randomposter1- oh, I can't wait, I'm so tired of my stupid ground car

@randomposter2- does anyone know if I can still tow a trailer with my new flying car?

@randomposter3- will this be available by April?
    its called optimism

If this is true could you unlock the CDMA iPhone to go to sprints 4G network?? That is deep.. lol

Thanks

I don't know Y apple doesn't go with verizon sooner. Verizon would boost the iPhone sale. Apple would have total control of the smart phone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll believe it when I see it. That is all I have to say...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting... I'm excited for the iPhone 4g time to trade in the 3g and upgrade.

Not going to happen this year at least. It makes no sense for Apple to increase the cost for the 4th iPhone (with better hardware) and add a second CDMA model when they can keep it down to one model and wait for LTE next year. iPad is with AT&T for 3G so that should give you clues that AT&T is willing to pay any sum to keep Apple on their side and exclusive for the near future.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Honestly, I think that IF apple made a Verizon iPhone that they would only help Verizon subscribers. Verizon = No Sim Cards = No worry for unlock for apple and they probably make more money from that because then unlocked phones will be worth more.

Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I don't know Y apple doesn't go with verizon sooner. Verizon would boost the iPhone sale. Apple would have total control of the smart phone.
    Apple originally approached Verizon with the first-gen iPhone. Verizon was going to take it, but part of the deal was that Verizon had to no longer sell any Blackberries and only sell the iPhone. Needless to say, Verizon told Apple to go pound sand up their ***, and Apple went with crappy AT&T.

Plus, with the awesome Android phones Verizon already has, and the even better ones they'll be getting in the next couple months, why even bother? They're doing just fine without the iPhone and all the controlling baggage that comes along with it.
    Last edited by Success.Is.Sweet; 03-29-2010 at 09:01 PM.

If a CDMA version is made what are the chances of it working on Sprint? I would also be nice if the 4G version supported the AWS/2100 band so T-Mobiles 3G would work on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast