+ Reply
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GeoHot Announces Untethered Jailbreak! Release Date Still Unknown

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Effenpig! ^See, this is what I'm talking about. Everyone with the new baseband is thinking this is a jailbreak for them, and i'm thinking it isn't. Just
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    ^See, this is what I'm talking about. Everyone with the new baseband is thinking this is a jailbreak for them, and
    i'm thinking it isn't. Just an untethered jailbreak for people who can currently jailbreak. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I got fromvwhat I read
    Baseband has nothing to do with jailbreak. There are plenty of people who are currently jailbroken with the 5.12 baseband.
    As for the unlock, Geohot and the Dev team both have a crash for the 5.12 bb... so we'll see where that leads us.
    This is an untethered jailbreak for all iDevices out at the moment and presumably for the ipad.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a race to push it out first between geohot and cdev. Nobody wins in that situation
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't want to flame or be called a troll, but man, if you're gonna get all uppity in a thread know what you are talking about.

Jailbreaking isn't the same as unlocking. The baseband has zero impact on a jailbreak (unless somehow they find a crash in the baseband that allows them to run arbitrary code)

The reason the newer iDevices have to run tethered is becasue the exploit that the devs were using to jailbreak was in the bootloader (bootloader is not the same as the baseband either) and Appl updated the bootloader.

Soooo. From the video we can assume that good ole George has found a different exploit that allows him to boot a jailbroken device unassisted. With the news that they have also defeated the new baseband, it would appear that the current software/hardware is effectively completely defeated and we are just waiting for release.

I understand waiting for new hardware, but geezo the current crop of 3GS ARE NEW hardware and many folks can only JB once (I got my phone after 3.1.3 came out, so even though I jaibroke(tethered) for a while, when I crashed my phone and had to restore I was screwed becasue I could never get the SHSHs on file. If this exploit works on the iPad, I can certianly understand waiting until the 3G versions come out, but I hope he doesn't sit on this too long.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    geo hot = done it again
    watta bad ****

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

weeeeeeepaaaaaaaaaa! Can't wait! Thanks soooo much GeoHot
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

Thanks

I can see it being released next week , and everyone is busy JB their 3gs and Ipods and then the screen goes blank and and up pops Geohot with a great big April fools day joke on all of us .IMO

Green Apple
    Thanks

This confirms what I knew all along.. George is the best! I'm UT'ed, but this is huge for the community. Sorry, people who made iDongle, sell 'em while you can!

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

bad song choice hah kinda conceited hahah. but good job geo he has some skills :P haha

Thanks

Geohot may have a massive ego. He may release things that aren't 100% and then not support the few that have problems, but there is no doubting the fact that he is very, very good.

MusscleNerd laid out details of what makes a 'good' video proof at A good jailbreak video [iPhone Dev Team]

As George says, his video meets those requirements. Other teams make claims with no proof. Others ask for donations before producing anything. George has only ever asked for donations as thanks for what he has already done.

I am sure he will think carefully about the timing of his release but this is good news for everyone I think.

Congratulations, yet again, George
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (03-26-2010), soulthoughts (03-26-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

^^ hear hear! Well said confucious

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no reason NOT to be arrogant when you have the skills that he has, at his age!!!! Who else "world-wide" has accomplished what he has? Leave the young man... I mean young geniuos alone. If it weren't for him, where would most of our JB community be? Not very far!!! Much love George! Being a recluse while you're not done with your research is not a problem.... Just a problem for those who wish to gossip. Thanks for everything you do!

Banned
    Thanks

The Dev Team and Geohot are both holding back on this exploit until Apple release the next FW. If Apple got their hands on the exploit before the FW release, they'd patch it to stuff up jailbreakers. It's in nobodies to release it now. It's a mexican standoff, (hope it's not as bloody as the one in inglarious Basterds).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

GeoHot's quite the tool aint he?

ego might be bigger then kayne west's..
    i bet he likes fish sticks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Happy days ahead

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah finally no more freezing problems and having to use blackra1n at 3 a clock in the morning

iPhone? More like MyPhone after_burners's Avatar
    Thanks

this is good news reminds me of Xbox 360 when new drives come they can't be hacked but they always find a way. can only say thx for all the hard work

Thanks

i love u

Thanks

All of the players including geohot agree that 3.1.3 was jailbreak+unlock bait, and nobody will be falling for it. This video should put the final nail in the coffin of fake teams like thunderst0rm, but the actual jailbreak and unlock releases are being managed (by everyone) with an eye on the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    The Dev Team and Geohot are both holding back on this exploit until Apple release the next FW. If Apple got their hands on the exploit before the FW release, they'd patch it to stuff up jailbreakers. It's in nobodies to release it now. It's a mexican standoff, (hope it's not as bloody as the one in inglarious Basterds).

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MuscleNerd For This Useful Post:

krs7272 (03-26-2010), Nvrkot (03-26-2010), Poseidon79 (03-26-2010), Windmeel (03-26-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jamriman's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean 3GS+old I-boot=jailbreak w/o SSH??? Please anyone? Thanks!

Thanks

Hmmm... I wonder the relative safety of this new exploit. I am assuming the "white-flash" in between the apple symbols is the exploit acting like a software based dongle. The thing we will have to wait and see is if the jailbreak is completely reversible via restore as it was in the past. I know I will get replies stating your a noob it's always reversible but by the looks of it this is a new ball game.
    Need Assistance? Read Here Tutorial On How to Know Everything

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Oh God he better not release this before the next software update. Infact I don't think he should
    have told us this should apple wait a little longer to release the new firmware and fix the exploit