Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Selling iPhones without requiring AT&T contract in US.

Hybrid View

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Selling iPhones without requiring AT&T contract in US.

It was bound to happen, sooner or later.

Last week, Google started selling unlocked Nexus One phones compatible with AT&T's 3G protocols. And today, AT&T announced that it's going to be selling Palm Pre smartphones and Dell's Android 1.5 based Aero. There's no way of knowing if these pieces of news are connected, but after a flurry of tweets and rumors, Apple employees have confirmed that the iPhone will be available without a contract in the US. UPDATE: Gizmodo got a copy of the internal Apple documentation that details this.

$499 for an 8GB 3G, $599 for a 16GB 3GS and $699 for a 32GB 3GS. Or $99 for a reconditioned iPhone and blacksn0w for free.

Choice: it's a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 03-25-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: internal docs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (03-26-2010), raf_shc (03-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Awesome job apple. Props

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    Awesome job apple. Props
    seripously? at $699 for a 32gig iPhone you give a good job?

They may want to untie from AT&T AND lower pricing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vegasj View Post
    seripously? at $699 for a 32gig iPhone you give a good job?

They may want to untie from AT&T AND lower pricing.
    calm down, this was b4 the articke was edited so i though it was unlocked

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

still wanting to know where i can be a no contract refurbished iphone 3g 8GB for 99 dollars..

Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    still wanting to know where i can be a no contract refurbished iphone 3g 8GB for 99 dollars..
    Check your local pawn shop.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't see the point of buying an unlocked 3G/3GS in the US...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

This is simply because they want to get rid of their 3G and 3GS inventories. Same phones, just whitelisted serial numbers for Apple's lock/unlock server.

Apple, AT&T and BestBuy have been offering new perks at about this time for the past two years.

iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I still don't see the point of buying an unlocked 3G/3GS in the US...
    it doesn't say unlocked. but even if it did, the point would be that not everyone wants at&t. in my area, i get 0 reception at my house. pointless for me to have their service. on the other hand t-mobile is the only carrier that has decent reception here. and yes i realize their 3g won't work on the iphone, but the 3g and 3gs are faster and prettier. unlocked is the only option for me that isn't just plain stupid. but since anything bought from apple right now will come with 3.1.3, my only REAL option is still buying used.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 03-26-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

so you can use it oversees...and im pretty sure this is the same price as an iphone bought when ur on contract and u lose it
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

seems to be an attempt to limit jailbreaking. if people don't need to jb to unlock anymore, many people won't do it

Quote Originally Posted by btowne View Post
    seems to be an attempt to limit jailbreaking. if people don't need to jb to unlock anymore, many people won't do it
    It dosent say that its unlocked. Your still going to have to go get it unlocked *someway*. Hmm i think apple is actually promoting jailbreaking since there selling it for full price without a contract with att, but its still locked to att network. And everyone knows the best and easiest way to unlock an iPhone is jailbreaking. And you get other benefits too.... I guess its mainly for people that want to give the iphone as a present without extending there own contract. Why would you buy a full price iphone directly from apple or att.... but im guessing the iphone will be with the new bootloader and loaded with the updated stock 3.1.3 right.... so yea jailbreaking might not be the choice.... hate tethered boot
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 03-22-2010 at 10:03 PM.

This is ridiculously old news. This has always been available.

Also, it's cheaper to get an ATT contract and cancel it after your first month. Please do the math.

http://digital.venturebeat.com/2008/...on-launch-day/
    Last edited by shizzabrick; 03-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.

You guys should pay attention to your sources more, that Gizmodo article (along with the Engadget one as well) does not state at all that the phones are unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    You guys should pay attention to your sources more, that Gizmodo article (along with the Engadget one as well) does not state at all that the phones are unlocked.
    yea just read the actual memo Gizmodo had and it says nothing about them being unlocked all it says is u dont have to have At&t which in the end u will have to have AT&T unless apple is backing jb and unlocking via blacksnow thats the only way this story matters or is relevant.

so you should retitle this story unless u have other evidence of Apple selling unlocked phones because for right now theyre just selling phones without the need of a contract with AT&T not the same as being unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    No way, it is easier for the mmi writers to just jump to conclusions and post far fetched stories.

Quote Originally Posted by mprziv View Post
    No way, it is easier for the mmi writers to just jump to conclusions and post far fetched stories.

2nd best news I heard all day and both at modmyi! Great! First news was about 3.1.3 hack and now this!! More info here Blacksn0w for 3.1.3 3G/3GS with 05.11.07

Unlocked ≠ Uncontracted.

These aren't unlocked for use with any carrier, just not tied to a contract.

Where does it say "unlocked"? I'm reading that you can just buy one without actually having AT&T service, but I would assume the devices are still SIM locked.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast