Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Selling iPhones without requiring AT&T contract in US.

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Selling iPhones without requiring AT&T contract in US.

It was bound to happen, sooner or later.

Last week, Google started selling unlocked Nexus One phones compatible with AT&T's 3G protocols. And today, AT&T announced that it's going to be selling Palm Pre smartphones and Dell's Android 1.5 based Aero. There's no way of knowing if these pieces of news are connected, but after a flurry of tweets and rumors, Apple employees have confirmed that the iPhone will be available without a contract in the US. UPDATE: Gizmodo got a copy of the internal Apple documentation that details this.

$499 for an 8GB 3G, $599 for a 16GB 3GS and $699 for a 32GB 3GS. Or $99 for a reconditioned iPhone and blacksn0w for free.

Choice: it's a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 03-25-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: internal docs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (03-26-2010), raf_shc (03-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Awesome job apple. Props

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't see the point of buying an unlocked 3G/3GS in the US...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

This is simply because they want to get rid of their 3G and 3GS inventories. Same phones, just whitelisted serial numbers for Apple's lock/unlock server.

Apple, AT&T and BestBuy have been offering new perks at about this time for the past two years.

so you can use it oversees...and im pretty sure this is the same price as an iphone bought when ur on contract and u lose it
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

seems to be an attempt to limit jailbreaking. if people don't need to jb to unlock anymore, many people won't do it

You guys should pay attention to your sources more, that Gizmodo article (along with the Engadget one as well) does not state at all that the phones are unlocked.

2nd best news I heard all day and both at modmyi! Great! First news was about 3.1.3 hack and now this!! More info here Blacksn0w for 3.1.3 3G/3GS with 05.11.07

Unlocked ≠ Uncontracted.

These aren't unlocked for use with any carrier, just not tied to a contract.

Where does it say "unlocked"? I'm reading that you can just buy one without actually having AT&T service, but I would assume the devices are still SIM locked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

post should read "contract free"..not unlocked...still tied to good ole AT&T.

Yep, just read this on another source. Apple just no longer requires you to show you have an ATT contract before you buy an iPhone full price. No official unlock.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Oh. So it's not unlocked. Title made it seemed.

If only they would make a 3G version compatible with T-Mobile's 3G. Google has done this with AT&T so maybe Apple will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    If only they would make a 3G version compatible with T-Mobile's 3G. Google has done this with AT&T so maybe Apple will follow.
    The closest we'll ever get to seeing this happen is in our dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Google hasn't done this HTC has. There are some T-Mobile phones that I want for ATT 3G too.
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Apple doing the BIG move.......

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    You guys should pay attention to your sources more, that Gizmodo article (along with the Engadget one as well) does not state at all that the phones are unlocked.
    yea just read the actual memo Gizmodo had and it says nothing about them being unlocked all it says is u dont have to have At&t which in the end u will have to have AT&T unless apple is backing jb and unlocking via blacksnow thats the only way this story matters or is relevant.

so you should retitle this story unless u have other evidence of Apple selling unlocked phones because for right now theyre just selling phones without the need of a contract with AT&T not the same as being unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Google hasn't done this HTC has. There are some T-Mobile phones that I want for ATT 3G too.
    I'd be happy with a CDMA version, I've tried AT&T and I did not have good luck with their service at all but my wife and I both miss the IPhones. But I'm sure that will not happen anytime soon.

MMI has messed up yet another article. Please MMI you're becoming more and more embarrassing. Please change the title or get better writers who know how to read (and spell, lol).
    Last edited by edge777; 03-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast