+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMatik Reveals iPhone's Electronic Soundscape

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The list of functions - regardless of how useful - provided by the iPhone seems to get longer by the day. The latest unorthodox application of the iPhone's potential comes
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iMatik Reveals iPhone's Electronic Soundscape

The list of functions - regardless of how useful - provided by the iPhone seems to get longer by the day. The latest unorthodox application of the iPhone's potential comes by way of the musical stylings of Tom Freeman, who may very well take the genre of "electronica" to a whole new level.

Freeman is getting noticed for releasing a new album consisting of tracks composed entirely on the iPhone. Available now on his personal website (no, it isn't offered through iTunes yet), the twenty-five tracks on the album called "iMatik" were inspired by Freeman's tinkering with apps and various components of sound modification found therein. A sound engineer by trade, Freeman says the quality of the album's "songs" is on par with the quality generated by professional hardware synthesizers.

According to Freeman's website, among the apps used to produce the album were Beatmaker, iDrum, Flare, and Jasuto. Further illustrating the original intention to "just have fun" with this project are the wacky and pop culture-friendly titles of some of the tracks. They include such names as: "Donuts Are Awesome," "I'll Kill You Leonard Nimoy," "Beer Coma," "Urine Idiot," and "Operation Vacuu-Suck." It should be noted, however, that the majority of songs are one minute or less in length.

Freeman says his album is an "awesome psychedelic hip hop and electronic music experience." He's selling a physical CD for $8 and the download for $5. Something tells me Mariah Carey won't lose sleep over this one, but many iPhone enthusiasts will likely be curious to see their beloved handset used in yet another innovative fashion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-19-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I love all the names of his track listings!!!

Oh yeah, am I first???

Also, StealthBravo is the Shizxxzznittt!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The quality of the songs are damn good.

As a DJ myself, it's really amazing to hear such quality being produce out just from using iPhone. Keep up the good work Freeman!!! Kudos on all the hard work man.

This have just proven that iPhone is not just any phone. It's a phone for all trades in the whole wide world.... And I really mean ALL TRADES....

iPhone Rockz!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol Mariah Carey. Washed up has been. I use a few of those apps as well. They work very good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If only there was a device with similar functionality, with maybe a bit more memory and processing power and a larger display.

I bet there'd be a real market for something like that.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

^iPad?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    If only there was a device with similar functionality, with maybe a bit more memory and processing power and a larger display.

lol

Thanks

lol

well played.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sounds good
    Last edited by ch_tothe_ase; 03-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    ^iPad?
    haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    lol

well played.
    i'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. congrats

Thanks

Is Tom any relation to Saurik?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

no because i am going to buy so many ipads i love them yeah boi!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

I just happened upon this thread, and wanted to thank everyone that has checked out my album! I would be happy to answer any questions about it, apps I used, etc.

There is also a great interview here, which goes into a good amount of depth on the process.

So I am now a noob on this site, and I'll probably be mostly reading, not posting, but it is great to be on here and taking a look at other stories. I mainly peruse audio recording forums so this will be a nice change of pace!

-Freematik

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freematik For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (03-22-2010), rhekt (03-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
    Hi guys,

I just happened upon this thread, and wanted to thank everyone that has checked out my album! I would be happy to answer any questions about it, apps I used, etc.

There is also a great interview here, which goes into a good amount of depth on the process.

So I am now a noob on this site, and I'll probably be mostly reading, not posting, but it is great to be on here and taking a look at other stories. I mainly peruse audio recording forums so this will be a nice change of pace!

-Freematik
    Welcome man! Interesting stuff...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vegasj For This Useful Post:

Freematik (03-21-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    ^iPad?
    something i mentioned many months ago about what usefullness the iPAd could bestow. i myself would utilize it in this fashion
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah, I can't wait for the iPad for music production. Especially if the rumor's are true about Propellerhead making their music app Reason for it. This alone will be huge, and I'm sure there that's just the tip of the iceberg!

The other area that the iPad will be huge for in music production, is in being a touch screen controller for my existing Mac Pro- based studio. Being able to wirelessly control synth and effect parameters will finally make musicians put down the mouse when making music on a computer. There have been other options in the past, but they've mostly been way more expensive than the iPad...

I imagine the complexity of the next generation of synth apps will go up exponentially, as the sound quality was already great, but features were limited due to processing and screen size limitations.

I wish I could hibernate 2 weeks until I get my iPad!!! it's going to be a long couple weeks!

-Tom
    Last edited by Freematik; 03-21-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

oh absolutely. using the iPAd as a controller or even as an MPC style drum machine would be killer. the future is there.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just want to let everyone know I decided to make this album a free download now, so please go get yourself a copy!

You can get the free album download at: Freematik

If anyone here purchased the download and feels cheated, I will be happy to refund your purchase amount. I just decided since a lot of people listened but not a lot of people downloaded, that it would be better to just give people the download to play wherever they want.

Also, just an update on my adventures, I got the iPad the first day it came out, but I haven't really done any music with it. While it is cool, I was expecting the apps to be a little more of a paradigm shift, but really most developers have either not updated their apps for iPad/HD, or if they have, they didn't add features to really take advantage of the space.

I guess I'm a little burnt on making music on a little device anyways, I'm back in the studio using real instruments, for better or worse.

But at least the gaming on the iPad is pretty cool, although I have some gripes about that as well!

Thanks again for everyone's interest and support! I'd still be happy to answer any questions, and also I am writing an article on what the iPad needs to live up to it's potential as a truly groundbreaking music creation device.. I'll post a link here when it's published.

-Tom AKA Freematik