+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMatik Reveals iPhone's Electronic Soundscape

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have absolutely no idea what "electronica" is and guess your album probably isn't aimed at me but I would like to ask, why? I'm having problems downloading it but
    Thanks

I have absolutely no idea what "electronica" is and guess your album probably isn't aimed at me but I would like to ask, why?
    I'm having problems downloading it but might try again 'because it's free', but it's always nice to see someone giving something to the community, I hope people who have paid don't ask for their money back, that would be a bit mean I feel.
    Just interested in your motives?
    Thank you.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi confucious,

It's a good question, and in fact since I'm kind of a student of the music industry in general, it's a tough question that all artists, PR people, label owners, etc. have to deal with now in this current situation. The music industry as it used to be is dead. Nobody really buys music like they used to. While there is still a market, it's really not feasible to put something out independently and expect to even make your money back, unless you really keep expenses low (which luckily I did).

So while I was getting tens of thousands of plays for my songs, and inquiries about the album internationally, which by the way feels great and I can't thank everyone enough, I wasn't getting very many sales at all. I couldn't find any opportunities for distribution or licensing, which is not surprising. I thought about it, and like many many other artists now, I decided I am not going fight the reality that I won't make much money, and just would rather get this album in more people's hands, hopefully making some people happy along the way.

Luckily I have a decent day job, and also since I'm a recording engineer in my off-time, I already had all the expenses paid for, so I can let it go that easy. I feel sorry for artists that really do have something to say, and are hoping their art can somehow provide income, because at least as the music industry is concerned, the days of small independent artists making a decent living are pretty much over. There are exceptions, especially for artists that play live frequently, but in most cases there isn't the phenomenon of the regional hit that there used to be.

Long story short, I am doing what most independent recording artists are doing, which is just doing their art for the love of it, and hoping someone out there really digs it. And at the end of the day that isn't such a bad thing at all!!!

-Tom

Thanks

Good for you (and everyone else). Maybe people will like this enough to actually pay for your next album, who knows? Either way, it's a nice thing for you to do.

If you hadn't made your offer to refund people then someone would have complained, but I really hope no one is mean enough to take you up on it.

It must be nice to do something people like and make them happy - even if you can't make money at it!

Good luck in all that you do.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks confucious!

BTW- my experience on this forum, even just reading other threads, has been very positive... much different than other forums I've been part of, nice change of pace!

-Tom

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12