Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 40% of BlackBerry Phones in an Unhappy, iPhone-less Home?

I'll tell you my experience. I've been an iPhone user since day 1... never really had battery problems except when I tried the AIM with push and in any case i always charge my phone at night. What really bothered me was how slow it got after doing a jailbreak. It would take about 20 seconds to open up the sms screen, mail app, phone app, etc. but nothing that would really make me feel like throwing my phone out the window.
    About a month ago a few friends got BB with a global internet service, since we travel all over the world allot, seemed like a good idea. Where I live iPhone doesn't have a service like this, so i thought if I get a BB i would save money while roaming keeping in touch with family instead of roaming calls and SMS.

So i got the Storm 2.

1. with the same usage of text and email traffic that i had on the iPhone, battery was completely dead within 8 hours... this was true as well on 3 other storm that friends have. (this is not counting that I do use my iPhone to play games on it.... while on the bb i only used the bb messenger, mail and phone calls.

2. While I was roaming I got charged with excess data usage. How can this be possible if I only use the BB messenger and receive less than 5 mails per day and do not download attachments!? I have 8mb of roaming use, and I still cant find anywhere how much data does the BB messenger use per say.... hour, 24 hours?

3. Since I exceeded my limit, my line got cut off for a few hours until I payed the bill, so decided to try a few more things.... while on wifi, I can NOT use the browswer, I can NOT check my mail, I can NOT use the BB messenger (which sounds obvious) so what can I do with my BB in this situation... just receive calls (incoming are free) and receive SMS. This tells me one thing... This tells me one thing... When I get my vacation from work and go back home for a few weeks, I need either to use my BB with the roaming charges, to use email and browser and God knows what other apps, or I can swap my sim card and pop in the one I have back home but without any of these features on. For that Ill just use a nokia 1100 which does exactly the same thing as the BB would in this situation

4. Applications, Games, Themes,etc.... are people with BB crazy paying so much for this? Im not talking about getting these from pirate websites... Im talking legal here. the same app in the Appstore and in the App World (which by the way does not work where I am) 3 times as much. $0.99 >apple, $2.99 > BB for Whatsapp messenger, and the UI for apps in BB are UGLY. Its the same with any app you search for. Theme! you can get as many themes as you want on iPhone, all of them free, while on BB they'll rob you $4.00 minimum and the few ones you do get free are not nice at all nor are they user friendly.

People say that BB are for business people, but like a post before said.. the only thing they do is send emails all the time... can't you do this on an iPhone? send and receive files.. again doesn't the iPhone do this? I still have not found a good PDF reader for the BB. My company gives out manuals in pdf format so the table of content is very important to have... So decided to try Documents to Go Premium, which they offer you the sky if you like for a few dollars.... $49.99, and they are nice enough to give you PDF to go FREE! which is useless unless you want to go through a document with over 100 pages, page by page cuss it does not have the TOC.
    (good thing I didn't pay for it)

The phone itself is nice, except for the battery, i have no complaints and even I think there are a few things that both companies can learn from each other, device wise. but we're talking services here and after having the BB for a month, as soon as the new iPhone comes out, ill be going back...

I won't even comment on synching with mac and cracked applications...

by the way... anyone knows when the new iPhone 4g's coming out?
    Last edited by alphonso; 03-16-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had a BB Storm. It was simply a frustration.
    So laggy, many battery pulls. Couldn't stand it and replaced it for an iPod Touch, which I may had missed the GSM phone calls (could call on Wi-fi) but got the most out of it.
    Now I have a 3GS and I am very happy with this phone. The only drawback is that every case I have makes it so bulky.

My 3Gs works perfectly. I have it themed and have custom sounds for alerts (why I jailbroke it) and battery life is fine. I charge it at night, but it never seems to run out during the day. No lags (my 3G did have lags), no crashes, rarely (!) drops a call, just seems to work. Not the best phone I ever had (I loved my RAZR as a PHONE), but entirely wonderful as a device.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Yeh alot of the things on the BB don't work over wifi and the apps for the BB are priced higher than they are in the App Store.
    I can see why 40% of people would leave the BB. iPhone > BB

Quote Originally Posted by giorgos_rou View Post
    I had a BB Storm. It was simply a frustration.
    So laggy, many battery pulls. Couldn't stand it and replaced it for an iPod Touch, which I may had missed the GSM phone calls (could call on Wi-fi) but got the most out of it.
    Now I have a 3GS and I am very happy with this phone. The only drawback is that every case I have makes it so bulky.
    try this.... ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield .... i've had in on my devices for years and is perfect if you don't like to use a case... specially on the iPhone which is very attractive as a device.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    Well tethering isn't an iPhone issue, blame your carrier. Have tethering here, and it's free on a standard plan. As for the battery, I never used my Palm Treo to the extent I use the iPhone and my last Treo was garbage and wouldn't see out the day, so if you don't expect it drop after using it all day, then get something else. And the hate apple users who pop their heads up on a regular basis here, strangely use PC's and love taking the baseball bat out for any reason. So once you can drop the bias, and get to the nuts and bolts and compare apples to apples (so to speak) then a fair comparison can be found. I'm expecting most of the Apple hateboys here to take the baseball bat out on this post too.
    I didn't say I complain about tethering. I don't Care!
    You can always jailbreak and Tether.

I said "Just count how many iPhone USERS complain in this forum about the iPhone."

And so because I don't agree am a apple hateboy?

am telling about my experience with my iphone. Battery Sux. I guess I should have edit the post and say:

"No Tethering? Battery sux? <--yes it does and I hate it when I get a call even though it is showing that it has a full battery or more then 50% and the freaken iPhone turns off."

Wait I know what some are going to say. Typical answer, "if you don't like it then get something better"

Why don't Apple fix it. THEY ARE ALREADY EXPENSIVE. Adding a couple of hundreds and keeping people happy should be their priority.

BB needs to overhaul everything, there completely behind times. I use to own a BB, gladly dumped it for a 3GS 32gb. And if you have a iPhone and it is not jailbroken, your a complete dumbass!!!! My phone basically does everything I need it to do, but flash, lets not even go there! It's completely customizable, Wireless Tethering (MyWi), All the App's you could ever need, (********** & AppTrackr), GrooveShark for music. BB has block breaker I almost forgot about that. BB owners just complain because there's this whole mobile, app world out there. That they just cant reach. Also I have no problems with my battery life!

ive allready converted two devout blackberry users to the Almighty iPhone
    killall Terminal[]

Default ongoing arguments for and against
    In short, been a Blackberry Support Engineer for years, guilty of ignoring phone but with some degree of admiration until eventually curiosity and a feel for a change go the better of me so here I am with my first Iphone, a 3GS model.

It is more flawed than I expected, games are not my first concern but there is alot to be said for the communications abilities of Blackberry over Iphone, from the complexity of email potential to simple things like messenger clients. Currently I am a bit displeased that I cannot find any messenger client that keeps me constantly available and logged into AIM and Gtalk, if anyone can offer a solution, please feel free.
    This is a phone, a communication device first and foremost for me rather than a games machine, I have a PSP for portable gaming.
    I am starting to get a bit cheesed off with many call failures when the Iphone is set to enable 3G.

The style of the Iphone is really nice as is the concept, I genuinely want to like it but cannot stop making comparisons. From what I have come to know so far, I back BB to be the more robust and customisable of the two formats(legally, not some crazy unapproved warranty spoiling hack ie: JB) to suit me and my needs.
    Call it ugly but its functionality is what really counts for me.

I see that most people pick on the Storm when drawing comparisons and it is easy to see why, full touch screen alternative. I've had both versions and both have and continue to function perfectly well, the battery of the Iphone is poor by comparison but I have heard people complain about both.
    Some guy earlier mentions not being able to do much over wifi with a Blackberry, you can't be using it right, anything data related goes over my home wifi as I have no phone coverage inside my house. This is also why I rely on Messenger clients I made reference to earlier on.
    The browser does work over wifi, you cannot have been doing something right.
    The Safari Browser is a WOW point for me after BB, it took some getting used to the quirks of BB browsing, I understand this is an area that is seeing huge development lately though. Long overdue that is to.

Email function that I have used so far, admittedly only tried POP so far but have to confess that it is absolutely rubbish.

PS, I am keen to look into messing about with it and seeing how different it behaves when I have the control over it, that does mean jailbreaking but I updated when I got it so have to hang fire for a bit.
    Last edited by peecee; 03-17-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peecee View Post
    Some guy earlier mentions not being able to do much over wifi with a Blackberry, you can't be using it right, anything data related goes over my home wifi as I have no phone coverage inside my house. This is also why I rely on Messenger clients I made reference to earlier on.
    The browser does work over wifi, you cannot have been doing something right.
    The Safari Browser is a WOW point for me after BB, it took some getting used to the quirks of BB browsing, I understand this is an area that is seeing huge development lately though. Long overdue that is to.
    I believe I mentioned that..jajaj... and what I meant was that for those couple of hours that my BB service was blocked for exceeding my monthly limit, nothing worked through wifi...
    I you have the service up to date and working.. you CAN even turn off the network connection and just use wifi, and everything works.. even bb messenger... and my point with this is that if i go back home for vacation and choose to use my sim card from back home for the 30 days vacation I have a year, nothing will work over wifi cuss that sim is not tied to a BB service.

So yes... i am doing it right... thank you.

in 3 years ive had 3 iphones... 1st gen... 3g and 3gs.. old ones always gave it to someone else in my family to get the new one for myself and NEVER had a drop call.. maybe I shouldnt say never.. but rarely rather...

Aphonso: "So yes... i am doing it right... thank you."

I wasn't aiming at winding anyone up so sorry if you took that as badly as your reply suggests.

I still maintain that the Blackberry is a better communicator.
    I suppose it comes down to different needs and tools for different jobs.

WHat I was trying to illustrate was just another perspective of the whole endless Apple v RIM argument having now got some experience of each, all be it less with Iphone. First impressions last but I am always willing to find a way to improve on something which is part of my motivation to get the Iphone Jailbroken, It's still ridiculous that I have to make my phone uniquely mine by hacking the hell out of it first.

I suppose my final point is you can go to pro Blackberry sites and people generally will be putting the alternative formats down, the same happens the other way, always has and always will, this thread being an example.
    I shall reiterate the fact that I am keen to make this thing work for me but my first couple of weeks with the Iphone has certainly not changed my opinion so drastically as to turn my back totally on Blackberry.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the reason BB is a fantastic choice for business is exactly because it is a terrible smartphone, which is only good for email and nothing else.

If you're the employer, it would make sense to get the worst product possible that does only things you want your employee to use for. iPhone is way too enjoyable and additive, so the employees would waste all their time playing with it rather than working for the company. I know I would give my employees BB instead of iPhone if I'm running my own business.

However, I would never want a BB myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12