+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Microsoft Employees Love The iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An interesting piece in the Wall Street Journal today suggests that the iPhone is really popular with the folks at Microsoft - even if many of the employees who own
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default WSJ: Microsoft Employees Love The iPhone

An interesting piece in the Wall Street Journal today suggests that the iPhone is really popular with the folks at Microsoft - even if many of the employees who own the Apple device are afraid to show it off around the office.

According to the crack investigators at the Wall Street Journal, approximately 10,000 iPhone users tapped into the Microsoft employee email system last year. Roughly speaking, that number translates to an estimated 10% of all Microsoft employees. That's a whole lot of iPhone users inside "enemy walls."

But is the opposite true? Do many people who work at Apple use Microsoft products? Not really, at least according to this article. While big name Microsoft executives like J Allard (a chief architect of the Xbox) have been seen with their iPhones on numerous occasions, many Apple employees, on the other hand, simply "can't recall" seeing their colleagues using many competitor devices lately.

The article goes on to suggest that some at Microsoft are allowed to use the iPhone at will around the office because its important for Microsoft employees to "better understand the competition." Of course, walking around with an iPhone in front of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is never a good idea.

At an all-company meeting in a Seattle sports stadium, one hapless employee used his iPhone to snap photos of Steve Ballmer. Mr. Ballmer snatched the iPhone out of the employee's hands, placed it on the ground and pretended to stomp on it in front of thousands of Microsoft workers
    Image via AP

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

johnnyhaque (03-14-2010), PlatoTheForms (03-13-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

bill and steve look a little too happy to see eachother

Thanks

Wow thats odd Steve may have a problem with someone using a windows phone (BUT WHO USES ONE ANYWAY LOL) its more like axe someone for using a android phone i think
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Green Apple
    Thanks

no one at apple uses a competitors device because if they got caught they would get their hands cut off

Thanks

god thats funny
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone vampyros_wrath's Avatar
    Thanks

Default yeah...funny
    The funniest thing is that apple and microsoft are the same company, gates bought it a couple years back, interestingly around the time intel chips were designed for macs....lol
    !ROHT YTHGIM EHT MA I

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampyros_wrath View Post
    The funniest thing is that apple and microsoft are the same company, gates bought it a couple years back, interestingly around the time intel chips were designed for macs....lol
    please explain.

Thanks

that's not all true cos Microsoft is developing apps for the iPhone like Bing and other kool apps.
    Follow Me on: Click Here!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggie81 View Post
    Wow thats odd Steve may have a problem with someone using a windows phone (BUT WHO USES ONE ANYWAY LOL) its more like axe someone for using a android phone i think
    dont think the article said anything about apple having a prob with windows phone, had more to do with microsoft employees using iphones without anyone else knowing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampyros_wrath View Post

I'm pretty sure what happened was microsoft bought some apple shares, but they were non voting shares and they already sold them off at a profit.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Thanks

they are not the same company bro lmao
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

who cant love the iphone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    ...many Apple employees, on the other hand, simply "can't recall" seeing their colleagues using many competitor devices lately.
    *sigh*...ask Microsoft employees the same and I'm almost positive they'll say the same thing about Microsoft.

Also, I'm pretty sure many Apple employees have Windows installed to play PC games.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PlatoTheForms For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (03-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To be fair, until the recent generation of HTC phones (Touch Pro 2, HD2) there wasnt anything about windows phones that I would take over an iphone. The real interesting thing is how many apple employees spring for wp7s phone when they hit the market. Personally, while i was at the local apple store with my cousin this week, one of the geniuses and several customers were flat out FLOORED when they saw my HD2. He said hee'd heard about it but didnt really get how much bigger the screen was until I put it on the table next to an ipod touch. Then I started showing off and booted up Final fantasy 9.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If I worked for Apple and they bought me a MacBook Pro, I'd use it. If I had to buy it, I'd stick with PCs. There's nothing wrong with Windows 7 and I can save money.

On the other hand, it will probably always be the iPhone for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ajblue7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thrash907 View Post
    bill and steve look a little too happy to see eachother
    you do realize they were the ones that ultimately started computers, and they worked together numerous times, they have a very rich past. just because their consumers hate each other doesn't mean they should to. Actually most big rivals of apple today actually were connected with apple in the early days, then gradually growing apart as they got bigger. like adobe. only google really just popped out of no where, and they are still fairly new.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajblue7 View Post
    you do realize they were the ones that ultimately started computers,
    no actually that was gates. jobs just put aluminum on them.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ajblue7 View Post
    you do realize they were the ones that ultimately started computers, and they worked together numerous times, they have a very rich past. just because their consumers hate each other doesn't mean they should to. Actually most big rivals of apple today actually were connected with apple in the early days, then gradually growing apart as they got bigger. like adobe. only google really just popped out of no where, and they are still fairly new.
    Neither one of them had anything to do with the start of computers actually. The record of the first computer goes back to 1946. Apple wasn't founded until 1976 and Microsoft in 1975.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

We all know computers we invented by aliens.....geeez.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ajblue7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    no actually that was gates. jobs just put aluminum on them.
    actually no pc fanboy, apple 2 came out in 1977, and windows didn't start until 1981. DOS was way before gates and computers were originally started by the military. if your arguing gates made what computers are today your wrong because the apple 2 sold 6million units with or without jobs there would only just be less annoying fanboys like you. after apple 2 when jobs left apple wasn't doing amazing at the time, and gates capitalized with windows. im pretty sure windows was first made on a apple 2. also without the hardware gates would be nothing. gates only makes software but for some reason everyone tends to think gates is like the posterboy for computers, you can't say pc because apples are pcs to, its just that since all of the computers with windows on it were referred to as pcs because there wasn't only one brand of computer for the windows. don't even call me a apple fanboy i believe in the facts and like most i was raised on a pc desktop running windows. but once i got a mac i was no longer biased and then realized all of the lies rumors and flames windows"PC" owners say were all wrong. also the fact that a mac can get a virus is only half true, macs can get windows viruses but these have absolutely no effect on macs at all, the sad part is companies try to sell mac owners"most converted from pc and know how bad viruses are" virus scanners that only really get rid of windows viruses so macs can't pass the virus to windows users. The unix kernel makes macs virtually virus free. its all rumors cooked up by windows users to counter argue our point we don't get viruses. and don't say virus programers don't target mac because they aren't as big well i know for a fact there are people trying hard to be the first because 1 its a challenge and 2 the want to shut us up but they have failed. now i suggest you learn some history and grab some linux software-they use the unix kernel and have a tightlocked system that basicly makes sure all applications you download are virus free because its downloaded through the manager. and have a nice day good bye