Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Battery Replacement Service

Default iPad Battery Replacement Service

apple has posted a battery replacement service on the support section to the iPad.
    apparently for just $99 they will replace your unit with a working one

heres what the support page says:

Battery Replacement Service - iPad: Frequently Asked Questions

What is iPad Battery Replacement Service?
    If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee.
    Note: Your iPad is not eligible for Battery Replacement Service if the product has been damaged, for example, as result of an accident, liquid contact, disassembly, unauthorized service or unauthorized modifications, or if the product is not operating correctly as a result of a component failure. Please review Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions for further details.

How much does it cost?
    The service costs $99, plus $6.95 shipping. The total cost is $105.95 per unit.
    All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.
    How do I arrange iPad Battery Replacement Service?
    Battery replacement service may be arranged via your local Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or you can contact Apple Technical Support. Please do not send any accessories with your iPad.
    Will the data on my iPad be preserved?
    No. You will receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data. Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad.
    How long will it take to receive my replacement iPad?
    If you arrange service by calling Apple Technical Support, you can expect service to be completed within approximately one week from the time you send your iPad to Apple.

my question is , if and when this happens, is the unit a new one?

thanks to user: iphone 3G[S] for the find
    Last edited by z3r01; 03-13-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

we need iPhone Battery Replacement too
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

^ no kidding!

my iphone 3GS battery is fine...always been...of course i dont charge it over night or more then it needs to...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

<3 z3r01

thanks for the mention

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

So if your battery goes bad they will replace your well taken care of iPad for a refurb
    Nice service. I'm sure it won't belong till there's plenty of do-it-yourself vids on YouTube.

Wow so it suppose to last 10hrs for video and blah blah blah now its already a battery replacement program in effect way before the consumers get there hands on it WOW overpriced service for a overpriced giant iPod Microsoft Courier and HP Slate will be better
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    my iphone 3GS battery is fine...always been...of course i dont charge it over night or more then it needs to...
    Your 3G S is very new. Others of us have 2G and 3G models, and the battery is showing it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, I can forsee it now! $59.99 for battery replacement. It's going to be a while though till I get those customers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think what some people are failing to take into account is that if somehow the ipad is jailbroken, there is a huge possibility that your replacement/refurb may not be able to be jailbroken in the future.

probably not
    killall Terminal[]

Is this for the life of the device? Like, longer than warranty & extended warranty service? If not, it's just another way for apple to gouge consumers out of another hundred bucks. I would rather pay for the extended warranty and get the sh-it done for free. Or buy a battery and do it myself.

And if they charge you a hundred buck while IN warranty, they really need to be stopped. People that think apple can do no wrong really really really need to come back to reality.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

thats awesome. but i wish they would make it so you can easily do it your self...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biggie81 View Post
    Wow so it suppose to last 10hrs for video and blah blah blah now its already a battery replacement program in effect way before the consumers get there hands on it WOW overpriced service for a overpriced giant iPod Microsoft Courier and HP Slate will be better
    lol. You can't be serious. $99 to replace your unit when its out of warranty is a great price. If you are having battery issues during the warranty period then there is no fee.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (03-18-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    my question is , if and when this happens, is the unit a new one?
    Odds are if the location you go to has refurbished devices on hand, that is what you will get.

Apple isn't just going to give out new iPads after the warranty expires at a 80-85% discount. That isn't how they work.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    lol. You can't be serious. $99 to replace your unit when its out of warranty is a great price. If you are having battery issues during the warranty period then there is no fee.
    Sorry to question you on this SB, but why are Apple annoucing this now, before the unit has even been released? Why not announce it in say 12 months time when every single iPad out there is still covered by the initial warranty? Do Apple know that there will be a string of faulty batteries released next month?

Just seems VERY strange to me that they are offering this service already.

Thanks

I think this is the reason

Via PCW:

Apple may be trying to prevent future fallout from consumer rights groups by posting the FAQ now. In 2007, the Foundation for Consumer and Taxpayer Rights attacked Apple and AT&T for not describing the fees and methodology for the battery replacement scheme before the original iPhone was launched. And remember, battery problems are not unfamiliar to Apple; some iPhone users reported hassles after a software upgrade. This time, Apple is spelling out its intentions up front.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

iGuy (03-13-2010)

Thanks

Okay, point taken my Friend.

Thanks

^ No prob. I wondered the same thing. I researched more and found that. Things became clear

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Odds are if the location you go to has refurbished devices on hand, that is what you will get.

Apple isn't just going to give out new iPads after the warranty expires at a 80-85% discount. That isn't how they work.
    If Apple continues the same practices as they have with iPods/iPhones, they never explicitly state whether you get a new or refurbished replacement unit, only that you are guaranteed a fully working one. From my experience they are always mint-condition by appearance. But like any other electronics manufacturer how could they possibly continue to manufacturer new models for these purposes, for some states like California it's required by law up to 7 years after a product is released!