+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreaking with iDongle: Where's the Fun In That?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPhone Jailbreaking with iDongle: Where's the Fun In That?

Could it be that the future of jailbreaking will be made so simple that we'll hardly remember the good old days of blood, sweat, and tears shed by many a jailbreaker?

Although it's been discussed in the forums of ModMyi in the recent past, there's a lot of emergent talk and - surprisingly - some decent media coverage about the iDongle, a work-in-progress hardware solution designed not only to jailbreak iPhones, but also to recover partially jailbroken handsets. The creator reveals on myboyfriendisageek.com that the iDongle will rescue an iPhone trapped in recovery mode. The iDongle works with the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch (2G and 3G) running OS 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2, the later of which is most highly recommended. At present, the device won't work on OS v3.1.3.

So (if you're not already familiar) what's the iDongle all about?

This is a standalone piece of hardware able to boot your jailbreaked device (a.k.a “tethered boot”), and optionally to jailbreak and hacktivate it if not already done.
    The little gadget runs off a 9V battery since the data port pushes out no power during the iPhone's boot mode. For the time being, only a dozen working prototypes are in existence, as the maker is actively seeking to "raise funds" in order to build an inventory of iDongles. He's selling the device for what amounts to about $41, or 30 euros.

As of the last update on his website, the iDongle creator says the devices should be ready by Monday. Anyone planning on making a purchase to see what the iDongle can do... assuming you haven't already done it yourself - the "old fashioned" way?

Images via myboyfriendisageek.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Bryan000 (03-12-2010), LEVMAN (03-14-2010), reaves205 (03-12-2010), sandymary (03-12-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It's cool that there's something out there that makes it (JB) so easy, but man when it first started out it was something you really spent time doing. I actually felt like I had accomplished something after jailbreaking a phone, but I guess thats how it goes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (03-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I know a couple of people very interested in this. It is great to see more tools available to our community.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

yep i miss the good old days!

especially 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 when the jailbreak went through the cool number combination to get into the menu and enable wifi etc! That was cool!

Now you just have to plug it in to a computer let an app run and its done and in future you dont even have to do that anymore!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Devs for that but the "flair" from jailbreaking and hacktivating your phone isn't here anymore! right?
    Last edited by madczech; 03-12-2010 at 03:54 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madczech For This Useful Post:

Bryan000 (03-12-2010), k.nitsua (03-12-2010), reaves205 (03-12-2010)

Thanks

Despite loosing the flair of JB I hope this will appeal to a broader audience (people scared to "hack" their phone and thus have an "illegal" item). Maybe a large enough JB community could change some of the restrictive iPhone thinking in Cupertino. And yes the world is flat!

Thanks

agreed with OP. this could be a solution for people who arent confident with doing it themselves (although it is stupidly smiple), so there will be more jailbroken iDevices

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    agreed with OP. this could be a solution for people who arent confident with doing it themselves (although it is stupidly smiple), so there will be more jailbroken iDevices
    Agreed,,, that at the teathered Jailbreakers out there

im soooooo happy i dont have to go through that
    If I've helped you remember to say

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This looks great! I mean...of course the battery is huge and all of that...but I have a tethered iPod Touch 3G and it's very annoying having to plug it into my computer everytime I turn it off or restart it. Hopefully someone will find an untethered jailbreak sometime before 2015 or someone will find a way to make the iDongle smaller...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Haha I suggested this make the front page and donate people cause I want haz!

And @itouch-warrior there will DEFINETLY be an untehered jailbreak before 2015 probably by the end of this year
    Last edited by Frostbite; 03-12-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I jailbroke during 2.0., and I remember how I had to do the whole 10 sec and 5 sec thing, then DFU mode with the white screen and all that. That was f*ckin scary, nowadays you just make it ra1n.

How does this new thing work? Does it plug into the bottom of the device?

Thanks

2.0? Pa.

1.x - that's when you needed a brain to jailbreak. To easy now.

If I did have a tethered JB I would happily carry this around with me all day everyday and would easily pay $40 for one just for piece of mind that I won't get stuck at not booting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Bryan000 (03-12-2010)

Thanks

If this goes on sale Apple is going to go after these people like nobodies business.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VBLUE42 View Post
    If this goes on sale Apple is going to go after these people like nobodies business.
    soo true! but i guess they wont do it officially like in stores etc...

there are so many other "companies" that sell unlock software (i know its stupid) but people still buy it... for apple the costs would be soo much higher to close those companies down then the benefit they would get from it --> which would be nothin!

Apple wont do anything! On the outside they might say that there going to do something against it, but on the inside their not going to fight it that hard as a "few" jailbroken iPhones actually are in favor to their business !

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats cool...I'm going to buy one for my 3gs on 3.1.2...
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Nice concept. The guy better make as much money as he can before April 10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    I jailbroke during 2.0., and I remember how I had to do the whole 10 sec and 5 sec thing, then DFU mode with the white screen and all that. That was f*ckin scary, nowadays you just make it ra1n.

How does this new thing work? Does it plug into the bottom of the device?
    Yes...when the "connect-to-iTunes" logo appears you just plug it in to the data connector of the iPhone/iTouch (on the bottom) and let the iDongle work. After around 30 seconds the iPhone/iTouch will boot and start working normally.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BK_FCXcyrk"]Watch it in action here![/ame]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The upgrade to 1.1.3 was evil! I jailbreak using PWNage.. am I out of date?

Thanks

Really, I only see this applying towards those who have a tethered boot. I see that it does have a mini usb port for upgrades, but I think I will stick to the age old computer. haha. Just wait, if this becomes popular, apple will come-a-knockin'. Then there will be 50 different chinese knockoffs! hahaha
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

then I can jailbreak my friends' iphones/ipods- with the push of a button!!!

Thanks

Neat concept would have loved it when I had a tethered 3gs but luckily the battery life sucked and apple gave me one with the old boot rom a couple of weeks ago ....i actually was really hoping for something like this when I had that tethered 3gs as I'm always on the road and if I wasn't paying attention the poor battery life would cause it to requiring me to make it ra1n all over again when I'd get home... On another note what's going on with myboyfriendisageek.com...seems to be down and why the hell is he running apache 1.3?!?! Isn't 2.2 out now?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast