+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patents Unusual iPhone Door Lock Opener

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
You can almost envision a day when checking into a hotel means securing an access code functionality through your iPhone that enables you to gain access to the room in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Patents Unusual iPhone Door Lock Opener

You can almost envision a day when checking into a hotel means securing an access code functionality through your iPhone that enables you to gain access to the room in which you're staying. Still sounds far off, right? Not really, particularly given the new patent filed by Apple that is starting to get noticed.

The underlying technology enables your mobile handset (like the iPhone or iPod Touch) to act as a universal key, particularly as an access key to any door secured by an electronic lock. The patent reveals the use of a new technology that is expected to become the hottest of all commodities in the world of wireless gadgets this decade: Near Field Communication, or NFC.

Creating the communication ability between devices like an iPhone and an electronic door lock (with an encrypted transmission, of course), NFC is capable of changing everything - like the ways in which we get into our homes, cars, secured rooms at work, etc. The sky truly is the limit when it comes to the myriad potential uses for this technology in the years to come.

Replacing everything from credit cards to key chains, NFC-enabled iPhones would be a groundbreaking and, yes, game changing reality for millions of people. Of course, we're not quiet there yet - not with the technology or with the average person's comfort level with such a substantial change in business as usual.

But we're getting closer...

Image via NeoSeeker

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this is really far out there and funny.. i wouldn't be surprised how far this is really going and that it would actually happen. the way our world is going with technology and iphone being in almost every household. i been noticing how fast apple is growing and GOOgle is growing. google literally has there hands in everything and apple is doing the same.

Thanks

the iphone just became 3% more useless

adp
    Thanks

Great. So now by losing your phone a thief can track/open your car (viper app), drive to the atm and steal your money using your credit card number (msecure app - which can be un-encrypted by SSH) and finally drive to your house and steal your things.
    Last edited by adp; 03-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

probably pretty cool until your iphone battery dies and you get locked out of your house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JensonB View Post
    probably pretty cool until your iphone battery dies and you get locked out of your house.
    buying stock in morphie air cases now
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    (msecure app - which can be un-encrypted by SSH) and finally drive to your house and steal your things.
    glad that rock app made me change my SSH password. no longer alpine or whatever it was.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Great. So now by losing your phone a thief can track/open your car (viper app), drive to the atm and steal your money using your credit card number (msecure app - which can be un-encrypted by SSH) and finally drive to your house and steal your things.
    thats exactly what came through my mind first. what is this world coming to?

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

...And the iPhone will now be able to hack locks. Lovely.
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone is already being used to unlock car doors. There is no way this contraption is making its way into my household.

Thanks

*Hold home button*

*Voice Control*

*iPhone Open Door*

"Door Opens"
    EDM

Thanks

I don't think this is a good idea as someone would use the iPhone to steal your stuff.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

apple now owns the locks to your house. be afraid, be very afraid...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LOL awesome... more unnecessary crap that is going to get cracked and used to steal from you. The more technology like this is used the more people there will be hacking it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm almost positive that apple with not sell this I think they are going to use it in apple stroes... They use iPod touches and iPhones for the genius bar and sales...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, similar to losing your keys and or wallet, which I will say people are more liekly to do than lose their "precious" phones LOL
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-09-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a classic case of what is wrong with the US patent system (disclaimer, I hold two US patents). There is nothing new here. Near field effects are well known and have been understood since the very early days of radio.

Thanks

If they sell this I will be very afraid of the future. Be VERY afraid. lol apples making burglars job one step easier.
    If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It sounds like everyone is afraid of iPhone hacking their house. Well, if you are interested in a high tech lock for a tight budget look at the Schlage LiNK. A Schlage lock is in the picture of this article after all.
    Plus Schlage is also celebrating LiNK’s first birthday with you by offering a $50 rebate on Starter Kit. Z-wave technology makes your Smart Phone part of your home security system. You can live-stream security cameras, lock and unlock your doors, turn off/on your lights and control your thermostat from your phone or computer. The “app that turns off/on the lights” from the iPhone commercials is now more affordable than ever. The question is, is your lock a total home management system?

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this rebate or the LiNK system in general.

Full Disclosure: I work for Schlage but I thought everyone might be interested in a lock that is less likely to be hacked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just a reminder, the Schlage LiNK Rebate will only last a little longer. It will end on April 30th so get your $50 rebate while you still can.

Full Disclosure: I work for Schlage but just wanted to give you all an update.