Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Talks iPad Tethering

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Talks iPad Tethering

Reports have surfaced from the Swedish website Slashat.se that a question was emailed to Apple all the way from Sweden that posed a simple question: Can the WiFi-only iPad be tethered to the iPhone?

"No."

Apparently, that one-word email response came directly from Steve Jobs himself via his iPhone.

Since the iPad's announcement, many iPhone owners have curiously pondered the prospect of this functionality being available. And while there will be plenty of modders and jailbreakers tackling this "problem" in due time, it seems that, at least in an official capacity, we can't tether our iPhones to the iPad. Had Apple made other arrangements, it would have been an overwhelming unexpected announcement, to say the least.

Still, a lot of Apple fans are peculiarly exhibiting a great deal of frustration with this situation - even though virtually everyone expected iPhone-to-iPad tethering to not work. Nonetheless, Steve Jobs one-word reply has rubbed many the wrong way this weekend.

Yesterday, Apple announced that iPad will be available April 3rd. 3G models, however, won't be rolled out until late April, when global availability will similarly set in.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-06-2010 at 01:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting...

Typical - we will have to wait for the iPhone 15G and ipad 14G for this complicated functionality. I can only hope that AT&T can be ready in time. Approximately 11 years will be a tight time frame for such an agile wireless giant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skburke For This Useful Post:

iBwizzle (03-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Iphone firmware
    does anyone know if on april 3rd the iphone will see a 3.2 update that will have most of the ipads functions? Like wallpaper on the background....

Wait wait wait wait wait - Apple is selling 3G capable iPad's as different models that are more expensive than just the wifi ones and people thought that they would freely let people tether a wifi enabled one with an iPhone? Have these people not witnessed the greedy business practices of Apple over the past few years?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niqolas619 For This Useful Post:

iBwizzle (03-06-2010), iPhoneMuscle (03-07-2010), staterunner180 (03-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So very true!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

If an iPhone can tether to an iPod I don't see why it can't tether to the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by skburke View Post
    Typical - we will have to wait for the iPhone 15G and ipad 14G for this complicated functionality. I can only hope that AT&T can be ready in time. Approximately 11 years will be a tight time frame for such an agile wireless giant.
    "You ask for the impossible"

Tether? Why would we allow you to do something as useful as that?
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

Dear Steve Jobs,
    I got MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS so I can tether any wifi-enabled device without asking you for permission.

Sent from my tethered MacBook Air

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingboarder For This Useful Post:

iBwizzle (03-06-2010), k.nitsua (03-07-2010), nhstunner (03-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow, now I'm really not gonna buy the ipad. Why? I don't want to pay an additional for 3G when I have to pay for my iPhone too. Apple is just a money hog.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kingboarder View Post
    Dear Steve Jobs,
    I got MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS so I can tether any wifi-enabled device without asking you for permission.

Sent from my tethered MacBook Air
    jajajajaja LMFAO!!!!!

Thinking about it...... is the "no" from Steve only for the U.S. because of AT&T not Tethering.... because in other parts of the world tethering is allowed.
    Last edited by lerry; 03-06-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dear Steve Jobs,

Blow me.

Thanks

oh please, dnt tell me people really expected that tethering would be an option when they can rope u into more contracts on the 3g version. saying that, it shouldnt be a problem for anybody here tho.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that i want a crappy ipad but if you gotz a jailbroken iphone i bet this would be possible! Since apple and at&t dont allow native tethering anymore well at least if you upgraded from 3.0. the IPAD IS *** they should have had it run OSX i would have picked one up then!

It's like this: he's either making a 3G model as a joke to the general public, or he thinks anyone with both and iPhone or an iPod has a mental disability, or a SHITload of money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

wait for it to be hacked. then it will...

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait - Apple is selling 3G capable iPad's as different models that are more expensive than just the wifi ones and people thought that they would freely let people tether a wifi enabled one with an iPhone? Have these people not witnessed the greedy business practices of Apple over the past few years?
    No joke! Haha.
    Sent from my iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPhone - Jailbreak = Dumb-phone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast