Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Virgin America Removes Flash Content Due to iPhone Support

Quote Originally Posted by Slocko View Post
    Why not just release an Iphone app for their website? But hey, if in the future there is one less piece of software I have to install on my pc to view websites, I'm all for it.
    Totally agree. I actually like it better when sites take the time to make a site just for mobile (that still has all of the features of course). It makes things a lot smoother. That said, I also agree that one less thing i have to install on my computer while on the internetz would be awesome.

but...
    I'm sorry.. but i like adobe. Despite what a lot of people here are saying, Flash (and before, shockwave) has done amazing things for everyones internet experience. They have good software, and Microsoft and Apple both know this.

Apple refusing to put flash on their phone is not just a compatibility issue. It is, like another user mentioned, content and product control. Apple makes a great product like the iphone and now everyone has to bend what they already have to make it compatible. why? because apple is selfish

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanofdiamonds For This Useful Post:

savon (03-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

i think its awesome and hopefully all websites will eventually switch to html and i can get rid of flash and its stupid updates

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    News Limited, the largest media organisation in the world is shifting too. The strangle hold Adobe has on embedded media is coming to an end, and that's a good thing. Maybe, just maybe, they'll do something about that leaky boat they call flash and produce something progressive, not sit on their hands like they have been. To have alternatives to flash can only bring back open web, as it used to be, and allow platforms we haven't been able to see because of the predominance of Adobe flash. Flash aint dead, it just got competition, at last.
    Right on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

Kroo (03-05-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Hopefully this is a trend

Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
    Not supporting flash is Apples attempt to control content and I don't like that. I think Apple wants users to buy games through their own pipe line and not go out into the free web to play online. Maybe the conspiracy is Microsoft struck a deal with Apple to demonize flash as to make wave for Silver light or even apples own proprietary vector based system.
    Controlling content by pushing for open standards???

Smoke much crack?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mgebara For This Useful Post:

Kroo (03-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukoda View Post
    I hope this trend continues as I sick of flash slowing down every computer I use that supports it.
    Sounds real 1999 in here

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    i think its awesome and hopefully all websites will eventually switch to html and i can get rid of flash and its stupid updates
    God forbid a company tries to improve their software

BETA IS GUD ENUFF I SWARE

Two Thumbs Up!!.. I don't know why I cannot see a website content on my IPhone just because it has flash on it...
    This way I would be able to see the entire site.

Still no Flash x64 player for Windows. Steve Jobs was right, Adobe is lazy. Screw them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

you know considering they dont have a mobile site, it is kind of pointless...

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    Sounds real 1999 in here
    Considering all third party browser coders like Mozilla, Chrome, Opera and yes Safari, are dropping support for flash, should say it all and now major world wide companies. They don't want 1999 technology to remain forever and directed by one company and one plugin (a tish plugin at that)

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    God forbid a company tries to improve their software
    Well, Adobes attempts to patch the gaping security holes in their software have been sloppy to say the least. 18 months to rectify an identified vulnerability doesn't build confidence in the web community. Plenty of web design companies have been crying for something better for years, now they have their wish. Again, how can competition be bad, for anyone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Kroo

Spot on mate 

I can't wait for flash to die. I WILL NOT POUR A 40 FOR YOU FLASH. YOU WILL BE BURIED IN AN UNMARKED GRAVE IN THE HILLS OF MESOPOTANIA FOR ALL I CARE.

CAPS LOCK IS LAME BUT I CANT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I HATE FLASH

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Amen to that 

@ ryanofdiamonds - good post. @ luppin - funny.

I recently had this conversation with a friend after the iPad announcement and instead of trying to remember what was said, I'm going to just copy and paste as I'm interested in the other viewpoints... Let me know first point out, that I do think Competition is GREAT for any company. But please remember, Adobe is a direct competitor with Apple in many areas... Which I believe is one of the main reasons Apple is trying to kill Adobe's platforms.

Here's my thoughts on the subject:
    Me:"It is beyond ridiculous the iPad doesn't allow flash content to work..." Response: "Flash is a bad implementation of a good idea. It will be replaced with HTML5"

Me: "Flash is an "EXISTING implementation of a GREAT idea..." And its mainly a security risk if you don't set your preferences right. HTML5 will be great when it actually exists in the mainstream but until that happens you have the 35% of all websites using flash but more importantly, you have ALOT of your most popular websites using flash (which makes a big difference in user interactivity on a daily basis, etc).

The Flash Player is installed on 99% of Internet-enabled desktops worldwide and on a wide range of popular devices.
    Quicktime, for example is installed only on 61%. HTML5 doesn't even have a percentage (yet). So my argument isn't that its the best platform, its that right now it is the most used platform of its kind. Apple should swallow their pride and allow it to work on their devices until the magical day its no longer the #1 anymore, in which case they can just pull the plug on its access in a simple update.

P.S. I want them to make this: A Macbook Air that has the iPad for a screen and you can flip-fold the screen back down over the very thin keyboard for use as well! And I want it to run both the iPhone apps and my standard Desktop apps that I've already purchased... That is my perfect touchscreen device! =)"

Response "- - Too many to post here - -" Me: "My point still remains though, launching this thing (and the iPhone) without flash is just being ignorant to what your customers want (although, in reality they are not ignorant and have business model reasons why they don't want to help keep flash as the standard, their own quicktime platform being one of them).

But to me, it's basically the same as them launching the first iPhone with no SMS. They said, yea but you can just use your email now, thinking this would be the new normal. But they were wrong and later added SMS... or even better, launching the iPhone with web apps only and not opening their system for DEV (obv. they were wrong and changed their mind about that one :-)

"The San Francisco Chronicle’s Ryan Kim posted a piece in which he said that Adobe told him iPhone and iPod touch users want Flash “a lot.” The company pointed to the more than seven million Flash download attempts from iPhones and iPod touches during December"

Also, "53 percent of smartphones supporting Flash by 2012", so who do you think web creators are going to be designing for? (hint: the majority of users) This guy says it all better than I: Open Access to Content and Applications (Adobe Featured Blogs)

Wouldn't the video bits they're wanting to replace flash with in HTML5 will be the same amount of bandwidth or more (as it won't use youtubes built in player)?

Now if only Stevo and the OS creators would read these extremely long and unnecessary postings - they might change their minds. Ok, hopping off the box now.

P.S. This is the nerdiest debate I've had this year "

You're wrong and if you side with flags you're basically dead on the inside.

Not metaphorically, literally dead.

On the inside.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPhone - Jailbreak = Dumb-phone!

i for one am extremely excited to see a force of change in action. this is good to hear
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I can't wait for flash to die. I WILL NOT POUR A 40 FOR YOU FLASH. YOU WILL BE BURIED IN AN UNMARKED GRAVE IN THE HILLS OF MESOPOTANIA FOR ALL I CARE.

CAPS LOCK IS LAME BUT I CANT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I HATE FLASH
    LMFAO. No 40 for flash?

Quote Originally Posted by savon View Post
    @ ryanofdiamonds - good post. @ luppin - funny.

I recently had this conversation with a friend ...
    Flash can be installed in OS X. However, for years, Adobe doesn't even make any effort to make flash stable or optimize it. Result: high CPU consumption.

So what makes you think Adobe will make any effort to make flash work for iPhone OS?

Apple was the first to remove floppy drives from its computers btw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12