Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Netflix Trying To Measure Interest in iPhone Streaming

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Netflix Trying To Measure Interest in iPhone Streaming

I have to admit, the concept of Netflix streaming video content like hot feature films and new blockbuster releases sounds pretty enticing. And, apparently, the people at Netflix think so too. As a result, the company is polling subscribers to get a sense of how great the demand really is for video streaming to the iPhone.

The online DVD rental service has previously been rumored to be developing a Netflix application for Apple's popular handset. Of course, the news of this "poll" would seem to suggest that the concept of a Netflix iPhone app remains just that - a concept. But if the poll results are favorable, the concept could, indeed, become reality very soon.

If you haven't been privy to the survey, the poll itself teases the potential service with the following attention-grabbing setup: "Imagine that Netflix offers its subscribers the ability to instantly watch movies & TV episodes on their iPhone. The selection availability to instantly watch includes some new releases, lots of classics and TV episodes. There are no advertisements or trailers, and movies start in as little as 30 seconds. You can fast-forward, rewind, and pause or watch again... for no additional fee."

After a pitch like that, who would say no? Then again, we haven't heard a word about potential pricing, streaming over a 3G connection, or other nuts-and-bolts aspects of the yet-to-be rolled out service. In theory, it sounds great. And it also sounds like Netflix is moving a head with the plan to bring video streaming to the iPhone... and maybe even the iPad - although no one has uttered a word about a possible Netflix iPad app. Of course, that would seem to make even more sense than an iPhone streaming video service at this point.

that would be a great idea, i have netflix and stream movies all the time via xbox or computer, but wouldnt mind on my iphone. I dont know how well it would do on the iphone since its 3G, but you never know..lol

In b4 Stealth Bravo.
    Wow, I'm proud of myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

im interested haha xYurjevich

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

I would use the crap out of that if they made it.

I've been seriously considering subscribing to Netflix just for the streaming. Something like this could definitely convince me to make the plunge. That and it's still not really clear to me how many titles or what kind of titles they have available for streaming. They show you a sample of the titles, but I wish I could see the master list, then I'd know if it was worth it.

okay,

2 problems with this...

numbero uno: Netflix, do you actually need a survey to see if people want this? Is there actually an iPhone user out there that would say "Hellll no, i dont want this."

second: I have beef with netflix instant movies... there are NONE. I mean, they do have all seasons of the office... which im thankful for , but theres barely anything...
    yoTelefonoTresG, now introducing...
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

say "Amen Brotha!" or "thanks a bunch!", click that "Thanks!" button!

Whats AT&T say about all this bandwith that will be used ? I know people would use 3G unrestrictor if it was only available on wifi . I would love to try it , but only for about $8 a month .

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    Whats AT&T say about all this bandwith that will be used ? I know people would use 3G unrestrictor if it was only available on wifi . I would love to try it , but only for about $8 a month .

"must be connected to a wifi network"

a program like My3G or 3G Unrestrictor would be the only way to go.
    Last edited by yoTelefonoCuatro; 03-02-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: changed to photo
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

I hope they do this. With the iPhone I can be more unproductive in more places and with this app it will give me another way to be more unproductive Gawd I love this phone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

we would love this so much, but it would just kill the battery so fast. and do i have to ask again, but where did the hulu app go? hat thing was supposed to come out so long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by yoTelefonoTresG View Post
    okay,

2 problems with this...

numbero uno: Netflix, do you actually need a survey to see if people want this? Is there actually an iPhone user out there that would say "Hellll no, i dont want this."

second: I have beef with netflix instant movies... there are NONE. I mean, they do have all seasons of the office... which im thankful for , but theres barely anything...
    Your second beef is pretty subjective. Depending on what type of movies you are looking for there could be TONS available for streaming. My wife loves doucmentary and foreign films and there are more than enough to last her a long long time..I do agree they should find a way to stream more new releases though

mhmmm, i was referring to new releases
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

I have a hard time seeing this thing making it to the app store anytime soon. It would compete with Apple trying to sell movies and TV shows on iTunes, something that they are already struggling with. I could be wrong, but I think that between that, and the WIFI only limitation, it will be a hard sell. I'm all for it, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xYurjevich View Post
    In b4 Stealth Bravo.
    Wow, I'm proud of myself.
    lol.

I hope Netflix comes to the iPhone and iPad. Man that would be awesome

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends. Is this going to be like Sirius radio where I have to pay to use their app even though I am already a subscriber? I use PocketRadio instead to avoid the extra charge a month and if Netflix wants to squeeze more money out of me via my iPhone then it's not gonna happen. I will get it through other means

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

NetFlix + 3G Unrestrictor = Death to the network, lol. jk.

This sounds cool. I could totally use this at work. I got a TV out hook-up too. But... I already download my movies and TV shows and wouldn't really use this.

I can see applications for this though, that's for sure.
    #eli7e revived me

i'm kind of a movie snob. watching movies on a 320x480 screen isn't appealing at all. unless i'm stuck on a remote long plane ride with no movie or some other unlikely situation. this is just another move on profits Vs. convenience.

@k.nitsua

i think i've seen another animated signature before. however, i think you're the first to do this of oneself. and very hip popping i might add
    Last edited by rhekt; 03-02-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

my animated sig is coming soon

A survey is one thing. Getting past the Apple guards is something else entirely different. With what happened to Grooveshark recently I have a hard time seeing Apple approving a Netflix streaming app. With how low some of the Netflix memberships (a la Grooveshark) are, I see a Grooveshark hell of rejection on the horizon for Netflix if they attempt to make an iPhone app.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast