+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The US Army Looking For A Few Good... Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If there are two entities that commonly aren't thought of as a natural pair, it's the iPhone and the US Army. However, the Army has spent a lot of time
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default The US Army Looking For A Few Good... Apps

If there are two entities that commonly aren't thought of as a natural pair, it's the iPhone and the US Army. However, the Army has spent a lot of time thinking about the iPhone lately. And if the Army’s Chief Information Office is to get its way, the US army will soon put its "stamp of approval" on a new application - one that is yet to be developed.

The US Army is behind a new competition designed to cultivate new and inspiring mobile and web apps. And there are cash prizes involved... up to $30,000 in all. The contest is billed as "a joint venture" between the Army and iStrategyLabs. The inspiration for the contest came from the "Apps For Democracy" project, which was a similar joint venture in 2008 between iStrategyLabs and the D.C.’s Office of the CTO.

This is, however, an internal contest. In other words, the "Apps for the Army" contest requires you to already work for the Army - either as a soldier or civilian employee. And the type of apps the Army hopes to see submitted are those that "tackle any aspect of Army IT." Ultimately, submissions will be assessed according to six criteria: "usefulness to warfighters or business users; intuitive usability; appeal over current or past approaches to executing the same tasks; inventiveness; likelihood to have an effect on missions; and viability."

If all goes according to plan and the winning submissions meet "security requirements," the US Army may very well use one or more of the apps in an official capacity.

If you are an active or retired member of the Army you can find more details about the competition here.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be willing to bet this is going to be something more of an advertising campaign for them, sort of like the FPS game "America's Army". They know young people are into iphone/ipod apps. This would be a great recruitment tactic for them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Replacing iphones with guns... not a good idea

For the iphone addict, I just hope it doesn't become a gun addiction too like private pile.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 03-01-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks

Pity I don't work for the American army.
    I have this great idea for a fart app....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

wannabprogramma (03-01-2010)

Thanks

would be real useful for manipulating people. however, i hope this will be useful and become public

Thanks

well looks like im off to the recruiters now
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

... the type of apps the Army hopes to see submitted are those that "tackle any aspect of Army IT." Ultimately, submissions will be assessed according to six criteria: "usefulness to warfighters or business users; intuitive usability; appeal over current or past approaches to executing the same tasks; inventiveness; likelihood to have an effect on missions; and viability."
    I will create the app they seek and it shall cause the iPhone to emit the brown note, satisfying all the above requirements.

I'll take my check now, please

Green Apple
    Thanks

how about a iphone app specifically for the President that launches all nukes and missiles in the US at the click of a button?

Thanks

Looks like I need to enter this contest. Of course like the rest of the bonuses we get in the Army, that 30K comes in at 22.5K after taxes. Still not bad though

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPotato View Post
    how about a iphone app specifically for the President that launches all nukes and missiles in the US at the click of a button?
    You're a retard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    You're a retard.
    Of course he is!

It should need two taps to avoid mistakes. Duh!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

doodle jump will win!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    You're a retard.

thats not what your mother said last night you ******