Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Drastic Makeover:" AT&T Now Tops in Download Speed

I live in NYC and get prefect reception with my iphone. But thats because I dont use AT&T. I also have a Verizon Moto Droid rooted with 2.1 custom firmware with full multitouch and TETHERING (for $30 a month less than a mifi) Then I dont even have a voice plan and just use wifi VOIP apps on my iphone that thinks the verizon 3g from my droid is wifi and make free calls in the US and super cheap international calls. So I pretty much beat the system and by not using AT&T and instead tethering my droid I get FULL reception and FREE calls to the US all for $30 a month less than a mifi. Just gotta make sure I stay under the 5gb a month "unlimited" verizon data plan. (aww no tethering to my computer to download high def movies over 3g). Lol but I definitely suggest this to anyone who lives in SF or NYC. Btw you can get tethering hacked onto windows mobile phones the palm pre plus and others (I got it working on my lil bros HTC Ozone so he can always have "wifi" with his ipod touch)

i guess im just special. i've allways had great speeds with At&t
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

OMFG! AT&T is FINALLY doing better than last year! Honestly, when AT&T matches the reliability of Verizon in Los Angeles, I'll get myself an iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I live in NYC and get prefect reception with my iphone. But thats because I dont use AT&T. I also have a Verizon Moto Droid rooted with 2.1 custom firmware with full multitouch and TETHERING (for $30 a month less than a mifi) Then I dont even have a voice plan and just use wifi VOIP apps on my iphone that thinks the verizon 3g from my droid is wifi and make free calls in the US and super cheap international calls. So I pretty much beat the system and by not using AT&T and instead tethering my droid I get FULL reception and FREE calls to the US all for $30 a month less than a mifi. Just gotta make sure I stay under the 5gb a month "unlimited" verizon data plan. (aww no tethering to my computer to download high def movies over 3g). Lol but I definitely suggest this to anyone who lives in SF or NYC. Btw you can get tethering hacked onto windows mobile phones the palm pre plus and others (I got it working on my lil bros HTC Ozone so he can always have "wifi" with his ipod touch)
    Uhh........

naw. I lied about my previous post. I actually get the data plan free with $0 monthly fee because my dad is the owner of the wireless zone verizon premium retailers in pennington NJ and featherville PA so I can the droid data plan free. only cost is the phones.. had to pay full price for the droid... but compared to the $60 a month for a mifi... hmmm over 2 years... 2 x 12 x 60 =... well you get the point. But seriously you can save some major coin and get full reception and free calls in NYC and SF if you do what I do.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see the ipad affecting AT&T as much as people think. My money is on the odds that most will choose the wifi version due to the fact that most people already pay for an Internet connection at home so they will piggyback off of that. AT&T has always worked very well for me so it is good to see that it just keeps getting better

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wow so you mean ATT is investing the money they are making on all the iPhone and soon to be iPad sales into their network and improving their service? I feel like the world may have stopped spinning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol good for me =] i live in san jose, as well as go to san francisico a bit. so i guess this update in speed was intended for me =P.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

AT&T reception is terrible here. On T-Mobile I get 1100 - 1900 download on my 3G so I'll stick with that
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

big deal. they test in 13 major cities. i travel the us constantly (for work) and let me tell you outside of these 13 major cities at&t service sucks for both data and voice. i'm amazed at how many places i travel to (several in a month, from coast-to-coast) that simply have crap service. dropped calls. calls that don't go through. and horrible download speeds.

i love my iphone, but i am sorely disappointed in AT&T.

Im in ny and at&t sucks just like before still major call drops the 3g is super slow or not responding at all they just suck i wish iphone would move to verizon. Dont believe the hype about at&t they just suck.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

AT&T works great here. I have full bars 95% of the time and my data speeds rival the speeds in the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Nice commercial

Thanks

This has been irritating me for awhile. And I finally did the research and got the information on Verizon vs. AT&T 3G Maps.

AT&T 3G is the same speed as Verizon's "Mobile-TV" service. To be able to use their Mobile-TV service, you have to have the same amount of broadband available, as AT&T offers in their 3G Network.

So; here are the REAL maps.

Verizon's Network - The map that shows coverage that would match AT&T 3G Speed.

And AT&T's Map...

Wait; they are the same, is that because the FCC restricts broadband of these speeds to specific areas? Maybe... Amazing.

So lets compare the Digital Signal map that Verizon shows on it's "There's a Map for That" commercials. Since, their "3G" network, as shown in this new study, matches AT&T Edge Network.

Here's Verizon's (EDGE) 3G Network. Not bad.

And here's AT&T Edge Network.

Yeah, Verizon has a bit more coverage out west then AT&T does; but they still lie.

AT&T will always kick Verizon's ***...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squeaky369 For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (02-24-2010), hollow0 (02-24-2010)

It really doesn't matter who has most coverage - if either companies coverage is not good where you want to use the phone then you have very little choice.
    Here in the UK, if one carrier has poor coverage you just use another, it's usually no big deal. No carrier has perfect coverage and it varies where you go - and that's in a small country like the UK.
    At least we have choice.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I already hit the thanks button, but I just need to post a thank you to Squeaky369 for the coverage map. I've gotten increasingly irritated about people believing the Verizon's was some all powerful being that karate chops everything else into oblivion.

Now as far as speeds are concerned, I live geographically equal distances between NYC and Philadelphia (maybe 10 miles closer to PHL) Would I benefit from either city's 7.2 upgrade? or would it be regular 3g coverage for me? Don't really care if its an Apple product or not, I'm going back to Windows Mobile as soon as their available. XBL & Zune FTW.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I don't see the ipad affecting AT&T as much as people think. My money is on the odds that most will choose the wifi version due to the fact that most people already pay for an Internet connection at home so they will piggyback off of that. AT&T has always worked very well for me so it is good to see that it just keeps getting better
    Also, keep in mind that anyone who has an iPhone jailbroken and using any tethering app (MiWi preferably) you can tether wireless and use your iPad to connect to your phone and have internet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

900 kbps down...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA CANADA FTW!!!! 21 MBPS HSPA+ on 5 different networks (but its actually 2 different networks)

Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    900 kbps down...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA CANADA FTW!!!! 21 MBPS HSPA+ on 5 different networks (but its actually 2 different networks)
    And what speeds do you actually get on these 21MBPS networks?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

On the iPhone? Upto 4 Mbps
    Higher on those USB and mifi devices from what I hear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast