+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Illnesses Linked to iPhone Touchscreen Production Facility

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Today the world witnessed that the production of touchscreen technology is not only sensitive and important to our way of life, it is often a particularly dangerous endeavor at the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Illnesses Linked to iPhone Touchscreen Production Facility

Today the world witnessed that the production of touchscreen technology is not only sensitive and important to our way of life, it is often a particularly dangerous endeavor at the factories that produce them.

Chinese news outlets are reporting at this hour that a worker at Wintek (a Chinese-based production facility of touchscreens) has died resulting from complications related to n-hexane exposure or poisoning. As of this moment, it's markedly difficult to cull any definitive facts from the Chinese news services reporting the death.

Wintek makes touchscreen displays for Apple devices, like the iPhone and iPod Touch. As it is understood at this time, the touchscreens produced require cleaning, a process often involving the hazardous chemical n-hexane, which is similarly used in textile manufacturing. Wintek has previously been censured for its use of this somewhat extreme chemical.

In early 2009, protests were organized by the Taiwan Labor Organization relating to the use of harsh chemicals and proclaiming "poor working conditions" at this particular Wintek plant.

Last summer, a rash of similar poisonings were reported in China, however, it should be noted that some media outlets are reporting data from last August's poisoning as though it is current. When more details become available, I will update the post accordingly and revise any errors as they become apparent.

Image via China Daily News

Thanks

this is hilarious. underpaid wage slaves are dying so that we, the privileged society, can live lives of luxury and opulence. how long until we are held accountable?

Thanks

i feel you on that this is awful news we as american take everything for granted
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

at lease we dont have to do this. but i think that we need to start moving this kind of stuff out of china and into our own country. that wold create so many jobs and save the lives of so many chineese.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Having first hand witnessed and helped to move jobs to a 'low cost region', I can tell you that worker safety is NOT a priority.
    This is exploitation by corporations to create larger profit margins.
    The people there are simply trying to survive and support a family on poor wages.
    Horrible, atrocious, and morally defunct are all corporations that move to these 'low cost regions'.
    Then again....everything we have now comes from overseas...
    SIGH...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    Having first hand witnessed and helped to move jobs to a 'low cost region', I can tell you that worker safety is NOT a priority.
    This is exploitation by corporations to create larger profit margins.
    The people there are simply trying to survive and support a family on poor wages.
    Horrible, atrocious, and morally defunct are all corporations that move to these 'low cost regions'.
    Then again....everything we have now comes from overseas...
    SIGH...
    And this forum supports it, as do we by buying these products...

Thanks

we dont have any control [Apple or otherwise] what goes on in another countries government controlled society.
    Apple doesnt control the quality of the workplace. just the end product that comes out. talk to China if you all have issues.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyromcr View Post
    at lease we dont have to do this. but i think that we need to start moving this kind of stuff out of china and into our own country. that wold create so many jobs and save the lives of so many chineese.
    no one would be able to afford, an iphone ipod, macbook if it was made in the United States.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do all these death problems come from China? Though I guess we, the lazy Americans, are killing ourselves with 5000 calories a day...
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    And this forum supports it, as do we by buying these products...
    Agreed. All of us support it as there are little to no products built or manufactured in the U.S.A.

Rhekt, it may be a China issue with regards to worker treatment, and this is due to human rights or the lack there of, but the corporation has a responsibility in this also, if only out of a sense of moral obligation.

I for one would not want my product built in a place where I was knowingly allowing personnel to be in contact with hazardous materials without any safeguards.

This is simply exploitation in the name of profit, it is not like the end user is seeing cost savings.
    One example is a large networking company called C**C*, (whom I have worked with and can tell you that the low cost savings are for profit increase only, and not passed to the consumer).

My 2 cents.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyromcr View Post
    The whole reason they do this is because they dont pay them proper wages. Mabey 50 US cent maximum per day. If they brought these factories to the US companies would go broke so fast you would never see ipod or iphones ever.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Only one explanation, Apple's iPhone is too awesome for some human beings!

Edit- On a more serious note, someone should start a company that collects and donates safety equipment to factories over there.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-22-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    without people buying ipads and iphones this wouldn't happen. You're all to blame!!!

jk im surprised by this i figured machines just kind of stamped on glass

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    we dont have any control [Apple or otherwise] what goes on in another countries government controlled society.
    Apple doesnt control the quality of the workplace. just the end product that comes out. talk to China if you all have issues.
    agreed, and chinese products have in the past killed us and our pets anyways

Quote Originally Posted by mSidhu View Post
    The whole reason they do this is because they dont pay them proper wages. Mabey 50 US cent maximum per day. If they brought these factories to the US companies would go broke so fast you would never see ipod or iphones ever.
    they get paid more for working in bad conditions, for the most part employees prefer this as their wages are very low to begin with.

as for the latter, i dont agree. its not like the us has always outsourced to china, india, etc. but products would much more expensive
    Last edited by thrash907; 02-22-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    no one would be able to afford, an iphone ipod, macbook if it was made in the United States.
    yes, actually we could. but we'd only be able to buy one every 5 or 6 years. instead of getting a new every year or so.

the horror.

Quote Originally Posted by thrash907 View Post
    agreed, and chinese products have in the past killed us and our pets anyways

they get paid more for working in bad conditions, for the most part employees prefer this as their wages are very low to begin with.

as for the latter, i dont agree. its not like the us has always outsourced to china, india, etc. but products would much more expensive
    pastafarian GTFO
    Last edited by lolcats1; 02-22-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    yeah your right

That means apple would have make less than 60% profit on everything, it seems unreasonable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I read somewhere that the Chinese manufacturer is paid only a mere $10 for each unit of iPad they produce. If this is true, are they paid even less for iPhone and iPod? And the Chinese workers risks their lives for peanuts. The ironic thing is that despite this, their hard earned cash are still in US, tied up with the government loan that they can't really get rid off without destroying the prices of their investment. Now, on top of that, they're being pressurised to revalue their currency, which means that when they bring these money back to their home country, they loss a hugh chunk of it again. The west has certainly taken them for a ride.

It's harsh life to be a blue collar workers in China. If I live there, I want to be the corrupt offficial.:-)
    Last edited by eaglesteve; 02-22-2010 at 07:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah Jobs would only be a multi-millionaire and not a billionaire. Poor guy probably could find a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    pastafarian GTFO
    u in love with ID or something?

was meaning to change it anyways

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thrash907 View Post
    u in love with ID or something?

was meaning to change it anyways
    lol is this the same kid i was talking to earlier? i can't tell.

and if you want to talk about creationism/ evolving from a bucket of slime. go look up entropy. then we can talk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    yeah your right

That means apple would have make less than 60% profit on everything, it seems unreasonable.
    your complete and utter failure at economics is truly astounding.
    Last edited by lolcats1; 02-22-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost