+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Stores are NOT Confiscating Jailbroken iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Warrantees whether they're for cars or iPhones are something companies are not obligated to give out. They do so to give a piece of mind to the consumers. It lets
    Thanks

Warrantees whether they're for cars or iPhones are something companies are not obligated to give out. They do so to give a piece of mind to the consumers. It lets people know that they are buying a quality product. When you purchase a phone or a vehicle, it is your property (unless you still have a lien on it, then it's the lien holder's.) Since it's your property, you can do whatever the hell you want to it. You can jailbreak it, repaint it, pierce it and hang some earrings on it, it doesn't matter since it's your property. The most a company can do is void your warrantee, that's it. If they try to take it from you for any reason, you can sue the living **** out of them, period. That story sounds like an unbelievable story, but if it's true, he needs to contact Apple and have that manager fired.

Thanks

I remember when you could jailbreak by just typing it in the address bar on safari...i went in the apple store and jailbroke 15 of there phones!! Guess the apple police woulda just threw my a** in jail if they found out...

oh wait..
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

when i went to my apple store i showed my jailbroken iphone to this worker there..not sure if he was just a regular worker but he seemed like he was the main floor manger always looking at the other workers and how there doing..but anyways when i showed him my jailbroken iphone 1st Gen when i was buying my 3GS..he said oh thats cool..
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Thanks

My first iPhone 3G, my screen got smashed. So I took it to the nearest Apple store. In order for me to get the screen (digitizer) replace, they told me I had to restore it. They said they could not fix my jailbroken iPhone. So I restored it, they fixed it. I re-jailbroke it!!!No problems

Thanks

Another rumor...don't listen to them.

It would be illegal to take someone's property unless ordered by the court or if is something illegal.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I have said this before when this issue has been brought up. It is NOT illegal to JB or Unlock. I have even spoken to Apple's legal department directly on a few occasions. My favorite quote ever by an Apple Legal Advisor is this:
    "I know it is not illegal, but we really don't like it"
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

MrSandman (02-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not that I believe it's true, cause Apple would be stealing from you if they tried to confiscate your phone. You own it, its not like its a lease or anything. How funny would it be to say you were Apple-jacked?! Ha!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdivitt View Post
    Apple employees have no authority to seize your property. Jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod is not illegal. If it was illegal it would be a civil matter and not criminal, and if it was a criminal matter, Apple employees are not agents of the law. This is a ridiculous story.
    The thread should have ended here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ifonemaniac For This Useful Post:

mavrik101 (02-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Get_Zwole's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to see one of those geeks try and take my phone away from me lol. That would be fun.
    Iphone 3G{S} 16gb Black

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    It was a joke...
    Yeah it was super funny.....

Thanks

I have heard the story of an iPhone 3g bought off eBay for $300 and was taken to the apple store fora speaker repair and was confiscated cuz the serial number came up stolen.

Thanks

funny story i'am in ny i think i'am goin 2 take a trip 2 the Apple Store just 4 kicks lets see what happens lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was at the apple store once with my parents and i was on my ipod and an employee that was helping us asked to see my ipod and he was playing on it and didnt even no it was jailbroken. it was so funny he played this game that wasnt even in the app store and it was in like in German.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cjgonzales1900's Avatar
    Thanks

I have shown my Jailed device to many Apple store employees, they always say cool lol or don't comment on it. Or just pretend that they didn't see it. PLus one of the employees that i know has a Unlocked/Jailbroken Device himself. And another has a Hackintosh lol I have confirmed this and think that my apple store employee's are just normal people and like to do things to there devices as well.
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdivitt View Post
    Apple employees have no authority to seize your property. Jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod is not illegal. If it was illegal it would be a civil matter and not criminal, and if it was a criminal matter, Apple employees are not agents of the law. This is a ridiculous story.
    Precisely.

Thanks

I recommend apple have the security check like at the airport at the front door, so everybody detect with jailbroken device, apple can take it, restore and sell it again......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj_yelbom View Post
    they take my phone they will have 31 rounds of 45acp to deal with.........
    "DUDE, there is just no reason to go 'postal' here !!

it's a friggin' phone...I mean
    mini-computer...I mean
    iTheater with Dolby THX sense-a-round.... (uWatch app Rocks !)

On second thought..... better have a back-up in your ankle leg.

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    I went to an Apple store once to see if they could do anything about my water damaged iPhone. In front of me was a middle-aged lady talking to a "genius" because her iPod wouldn't turn on. The "genius" looked it, took in the back, and told her it was nothing he could do since the battery looked to be shot, and it was out of warranty. As she was about to end the conversation I stepped in and told her: Miss, you can buy a new battery online and watch a youtube video and replace your own battery.

The 'genius' gave me a dirty look.

Of course they couldn't help me with a water-damaged phone, and offered me a full price on a refurbished iPhone. I went on ebay and bought one for $250 (3g).
    My friend dropped hers in the toilet bowl.... (iPhone DEAD for two days.)
    a guy who fixes all kinds of phones here in Tampa,FL took it and in half an hour called to say the phone is ready.... price?
    $45.00 bucks ! Whoever says it can't be fixed needs to call this number #$%@^&%@$%%^ ( number could not be posted due to copyright infringement laws, Child labor laws, anti-union laws, and two other laws that are too long in legalese to mention here.)
    Last edited by MrSandman; 02-21-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

that does put mind to ease....i dont think i'll be stopping by my local store anytime soon to showboat my iphone though. it probably all depends on the personality of both parties at hand and im not willing to risk it.[irregardless of legalities]
    Last edited by rhekt; 02-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Good ol 3.1.3
    I just bought a 3gs a few weeks ago. When i brought it home i went to jailbreak it and for some reason cydia didnt appear after running redsn0w.. so i figured it give it another shot. My iphone got stuck in DFU mode and I tried a bazillion things to get it back to normal but it wouldnt. so i took it back to the apple store. He looked at my phone and said he was going to give me a new one.. turns out he just updated my phone with out telling me... so now im locked out...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I once went into an apple store with my jailbroken 2g with the intent to buy a brand new 3gs at full price and when he found out I was jailbroken and on tmobile he refused to help me... hence the reason I bought one off a buddy and my macbook pro from best buy