+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GeoHot and DevTeam Discuss Exploits for New Baseband

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well folks, we're almost there. In the very near future, baseband 05.12.01 could be unlockable for those of us unfortunate enough to be stuck in this position. Now it doesn't
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Default GeoHot and DevTeam Discuss Exploits for New Baseband

Well folks, we're almost there. In the very near future, baseband 05.12.01 could be unlockable for those of us unfortunate enough to be stuck in this position. Now it doesn't necessarily mean 3.1.3 will be worked on, but its good news none the less for those unfortunate users, and for the possibility of a group effort for the next unlock between GeoHot and the DevTeam. Discussed in an IRC channel, GeoHot and the DevTeam's MuscleNerd, share some thoughts on the exploits they have found, and by the looks of things, might actually team up to dish out an ultimate serving of Jailbreaking goodness.

GeoHot explains that there is an exploit that he had previously discovered and wanted to use with the release of blacksn0w, which has now found to still exist in 3.1.3. He goes on to discuss how he had originally wanted to implement this exploit in blacksn0w but opted to go with an open source route, which makes sense to keep things slightly on the downlow.

It sounds as though GeoHot and MuscleNerd (Dev Team) may possibly be working on the same exploit, and if that's the case, it would be incredibly logical for them to team up rather than releasing two different exploits, which in the end could just cause more greif when upgrading in the future.

Here is the excerpt posted by @visnet's twitter that is going around from the IRC Channel.

What does geohot tweet mean?
    <%geohot> its my bb exploit for safekeeping
    <%Par4doX> geohot: did you turn that over to the dev team or are you doing something with it?
    <%geohot> my days of turning things over are done
    <%geohot> i hope its different from the one they have
    <%geohot> but they prob already have it
    <%geohot> its the one i orig wanted to release blacksn0w with
    <%Par4doX> it’s still there in the new bb
    <%geohot> yep, just checked
    <%geohot> but then opted to use xemn since it was public
    Oo, it carries over from 05.11 to 05.12?
    <%geohot> why wouldn’t it, apple doesn’t fix things proactivly
    <@MuscleNerd> geohot we prob should figure out a way to know if we have same exploit double blind, otherwise we may release 2 different ones at same time
    <%geohot> any suggestions?
    <@MuscleNerd> not sure how to do that without making it easy to brute force tho
    <%geohot> yea, i salted the hash
    <@MuscleNerd> yeah
    <@MuscleNerd> hmm maybe if we both hash the stack dump
    <@Confucious> Can you two take this out of public sight?
    <@MuscleNerd> the stack itself, not the header before it or the registers after it
    muscle: any notice about the exploits are the same ?
    <%geohot> we are working on it
    <%geohot> cryptography, perfect for people who don’t trust each other
    So take it as you will and share your thoughts. Again, we don't expect much for 3.1.3 (Rumor has it OS 3.2 will drop mid March), but this is good news for those of you in an utterly awful situation if your phone has become more like an really expensive iPod Touch.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 02-21-2010 at 01:14 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (02-20-2010), redmoonshine (02-20-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

that s good

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First one to reply!!! yay! LOL I don't do this much!

I can not wait, I'm stuck with 2 Iphone 3GS's with 45-49 serial number so can't wait to get the ball rolling!!

GeoHot is the MAN!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

no

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebie3164 View Post

I can not wait, I'm stuck with 2 Iphone 3GS's with 45-49 serial number so can't wait to get the ball rolling!!

GeoHot is the MAN!!!
    your talking about an untethered jailbreak. this is actually about unlocking the iphone. Not really anything to do with untethering those later iPhones. Which geohot has said a million times he wont work on.

Unlocked = Using the Phone on Any Carrier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebie3164 View Post
    Hahahaha so much fail in one post.

I say find out for sure when 3.2 drops before giving away any tactics to Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

nice....can't wait....

Green Apple
    Thanks

What is the reason for Geohot not wanting to work on the untethering of later models? Excuse me because I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I've never heard why. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Hopefully the exploit will still exist in 3.2 and even further into 4.0.
    Geohot=The Man
    DevTeam= eh...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Call me an arsehole, but honestly, anyone stupid enough to update to 3.1.3 with all the media put out there about NOT updating should be punished for their ignorance by being forced to use a RAZR as his/her phone for the months to come. (I understand it's different for people buying from eBay, but the "accidentally updated" people are just ridiculous.)

As for untethered, I'm sure we'll see it once the iPhone G4 rolls around.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im glad I have got my 3GS Officially Unlocked now and don't have to worry about all this anymore

Thanks

Anyone know if the Geohot movie on Youtube was real ?

also i have to say We owe these guys the most up respect. The work they Do is priceless.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't understand why people donate to GeoHot, and then he thumbs his nose at working on the untethered jailbreak. Yeah I know he doesn't have to do it, but if he asks for people to give him money he might get more if he would consider doing the untethered fix, or release things that don't have problems from the beginning. I've donated to him before but he seems to just do stuff halfassed at the beginning, rake in the donations and then reluctantly fix the problems with his methods. Just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brokentwice View Post
    Anyone know if the Geohot movie on Youtube was real ?
    Seriously? It was a joke...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is great news but I would like to see a 3GS (new bootrom) jailbreak that's unteatgered, soon enough well have a new iPhone that might be worst

I don't wanna see apple win this "cat and mouse" game

Thanks

i dont trust either one of those two
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm really sorry, but Hotz's pic scares me.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I don't understand why people donate to GeoHot, and then he thumbs his nose at working on the untethered jailbreak. Yeah I know he doesn't have to do it, but if he asks for people to give him money he might get more if he would consider doing the untethered fix, or release things that don't have problems from the beginning. I've donated to him before but he seems to just do stuff halfassed at the beginning, rake in the donations and then reluctantly fix the problems with his methods. Just my opinion.
    Because a) his blacksn0w is the only unlock for 5.11.07 and b) he was the first to release 3GS jailbreak. Even if he doesn't release new hacks in the near future, that still deserves donation (whether YOU think he deserves it or not).
    Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    i dont trust either one of those two
    And yet you use their tools to JB It's alright. I'm sure they don't trust you either.

Back to topic, this is definitely good news. More chance that we'll have an unlock ready for the next big update, 3.2 or 4.0 (assuming they'll use the same baseband).

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Although it does seem weird to think about the two working together, seeing as how GeoHot posted an article awhile back claiming that the DevTeam worked or "could be working for" Apple.

I'm not sure who wrote that "article", but it probably wasn't geohot.

Why Point 1 is wrong: "Apple realized they could make more money off of an app store" - no, I'm pretty sure they were planning the app store all along, they just weren't ready to release it right away.

Point 2: "unlock shebang" - nah, if AT&T found out Apple would be screwed. They wouldn't do that for a few iphones.

Point 3: Cydia store - yeah, the Cydia store came /after/ the app store, and saurik decided to use the %30 most likely because he had to match or beat Apple's standard.

Point 4: Mac Love - I doubt anyone bought a mac just to jailbreak. Just borrow a friend's.

Point 5: Dev team kicked out geohot for different reasons (also this part proves geohot didn't write the "article" as this news poster claims, he doesn't refer to himself in third person).

Point 4 : (another point 4? good counting) - "donations" - nope, just different mindsets. Not Apple paying them to not accept donations...

Point 5: (another point 5...) - cracked apps. Cracked apps are lame, I'm pretty sure geohot doesn't support piracy either.

I think it's pretty clear that geohot didn't write the "article". I'm not sure who did or where it came from, but they should have done some more research.

Also, Nick, did you even read that before posting? :P

Thanks

i'll be you'r iBuddy....!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast