Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Intros "Life Changing" Wave to Rival iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whatever... everybody, keep buying apple products and they'll keep giving you watered down versions of the technology they're capable of. just like everyone's gonna run out and buy the ipad as soon as it's released... why? there's nothing there. It has no imagination and nothing "game changing." i had my hands on an N97 and really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-15-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's watered down on purpose. People that run out and buy the iPad will buy this one.. then the next one in a year... then the next one a year after that.. ect. This is Apple's way of making money... which their experts at. There are the proud few (like yourself perhaps) that will wait until the 3rd or 4th generation iPad to buy it when it's not "watered down". But guess what?! A year after that they'll upgrade it again

What about flash capabilities?

@K.nitsua
    Yea dude, i thought u could just draw pretty pictures... who knew. lol. jk, nice write up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The iPhone will be the leader for a long long time, because what a lot of people here seem to be missing, is that the average smart phone user doesn't really care about specs. The iPhone was first, and has the largest user base, and largest app selection. That is all that is needed to win. Same with the iPod, iTunes, etc. Apple knows how important it is to be first, because everything thing that follows, well, it follows. People respect the innovator more than the follower.

I still am leaning toward another iphone purchase, but I agree that WinMo 7 is going to be the new "wow" OS for mobile devices. Mobile OSX is great - but just as was said a few posts earlier - its going on four years old, with virtually NO major updates. Cut & Paste, Push notification, Stereo Bluetooth, etc., are NOT major improvements. Especially when they should have been there in the first place.

When was the last time you stuck with an operation system, virtually unchanged, for 4 years? I mean, can you even imagine how bored with these things we would be if jailbraking had never happened? Staring at that disgusting Dock got old after 30 minutes, lol. And for ANYTHING thats aimed at delivering decent web content to blatently refuse to provide flash support is just plain dumb. Who cares that HTML5 is the future? Its not here yet.

Its like buying a penthouse condo with no windows. Who cares how high you are if you cant enjoy the view?
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Well, first of all, this article Fear, Loathing, and a Hands On with Samsung's Wave - Reviews by PC Magazine says:

"The Wave won't come to the U.S., but Bada phones might; it's Samsung's eventual plan to replace the OSes on many of their higher end non-smartphones"

This link Videos: Samsung Wave Hands-on Review Phone Reviews not only has 3 videos of a hands-on with this new phone but also proclaims:

"They say that overall, the Samsung Wave feels somewhat like a ‘glorified feature phone’ and the Samsung Wave doesn’t bring a great deal to the table that we haven’t already seen in previous Samsung mobile phones, and it is clear there is still much work to be done."

So it seems that this is just another mere wannabe in the long list of supposed Iphone killers and probably wont make it to the USA in its current version. They might improve things but overtaking the Iphone has proven to be an exercise in futility for quite some time now. Factor in the new 4G version and all those contenders will have to go back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by GTOpilot; 02-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

before my iphone, my samsung T809 was hands down the best phone I ever had. samsung makes good phones but its not just the iphone other manufacturers have to compete with, its the iphone's popularity. other phones are better than the iphone in many ways but iphone (and pretty much anything apple) is still very popular. if was was the head of a company, I would attack the iphone on two fronts, hardware and what makes apple products so popular.

I am from way back in time.I remember Apple was the big boy on the block for computers. They sold more then anyone else, and had the biggest market share. The thing was there competition was IBM only to start and then came Compaq, and then several clones. Apple lost that battle due to overwhelming competition. There computer market is based on a certain type of user now so that has caused them to change gears and go with IPODS. IPADS, and Iphones. Several people make ipad types like Zune, and others. Iphone was first but remember the word competition. People will buy other types based on what they want in a smartphone. You have to stay ahead of the competition all the time if you don't you lose. The IPAD is new we don't even know how many people will buy it. Maybe it will be a great success but from what I see it is an oversized iphone which is my opinion only. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not making any predictions just stating some of the facts as I see them. We shall see in the future what happens in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
    oversized iphone
    But its not even a iphone, its doooooomed lol
    My Dog Pop Arted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    before my iphone, my samsung T809 was hands down the best phone I ever had. samsung makes good phones but its not just the iphone other manufacturers have to compete with, its the iphone's popularity. other phones are better than the iphone in many ways but iphone (and pretty much anything apple) is still very popular. if was was the head of a company, I would attack the iphone on two fronts, hardware and what makes apple products so popular.
    Agreed. That's what leads me to believe that the new windows OS will be (at least from the interface end) the OS that will make apple have to seriously bring change to their glib complacency. I dont know if any of you have used a Zune HD, but the interface is stunnning. Beats the holy crap out of any of the iDevices. Seeing that interface tied to a phone, will set the new standard for smoothness in a mobile UI. Mate that with some capable hardware, some actual buttons, the ability to sync wirelessly, which the Zune has, a compelling App market, and a reason to uninstall iTunes, and presto, you have a winner.

In all honesty, the only thing that would hold such a phone back would be the commitment to writing software for the device. Microsoft has pockets deep enough to give incentives to the big time devs to get the ball rolling on that. All it takes is 1 good game, and one good user created app to show profitability before you see the growth skyrocket.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (02-16-2010)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Agreed. That's what leads me to believe that the new windows OS will be (at least from the interface end) the OS that will make apple have to seriously bring change to their glib complacency. I dont know if any of you have used a Zune HD, but the interface is stunnning. Beats the holy crap out of any of the iDevices. Seeing that interface tied to a phone, will set the new standard for smoothness in a mobile UI. Mate that with some capable hardware, some actual buttons, the ability to sync wirelessly, which the Zune has, a compelling App market, and a reason to uninstall iTunes, and presto, you have a winner.

In all honesty, the only thing that would hold such a phone back would be the commitment to writing software for the device. Microsoft has pockets deep enough to give incentives to the big time devs to get the ball rolling on that. All it takes is 1 good game, and one good user created app to show profitability before you see the growth skyrocket.
    I can see Microsoft offering some kind of package deals for publishing Xbox games alongside mobile ports.

Quote Originally Posted by leram84 View Post
    @K.nitsua
    Yea dude, i thought u could just draw pretty pictures... who knew. lol. jk, nice write up.
    Initial majors out of high school was "Literature and Cultural Arts" and "Journalism"; only switched it to Pre-med because I realized the only job I might have with those majors would be teaching other people to get those majors, lol.

But yeah, I can write =P
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 02-16-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    #eli7e revived me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (02-16-2010)

nitsua thanked me... *Faint*

I'm getting more and more interested in what direction they will run with this.The fact that there are so many manufacturers tied into producing the different models is great. It takes the the pressure off of one phone having to be the "killer", and puts more emphasis on the OS being the wave of the future.

I just read the cnn article on WinMo and how they are tying Xbox Live accounts to the phone, I'm hoping it works much in the way that Live Games for Windows does. Sending messages to/from two other platforms (PC & XBOX) is something that Apple could only dream of. I could see them splitting live into 3 tiers now - Bronze for Smartphone Only (Free), then Silver and Gold would basically remain the same, only allow interconnectivity throughout the different platforms. Its perfect because the points infrastructure is already proven and established. Could be gold if they get it right. Unless hits a grand slam on the new phone, this could be a problem for them. I wont be as foolish as to suggest that their sales will DROP, but its totally reasonable to see their sales stagnate this year as microsoft has the advertising clout that neither Google or Apple can afford to pay for. And how much do you want to bet that Verizon has the best model exclusively?

Oh god it just hit me, Nokia NGage 360, lol. I called it first, folks.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123