+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Insurance for your iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An iPhone can be an expensive investment, and given that its users generally carry their phones everywhere, damage from dropping, stepping on, running over and flushing iPhones are more common
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Insurance for your iPhone

An iPhone can be an expensive investment, and given that its users generally carry their phones everywhere, damage from dropping, stepping on, running over and flushing iPhones are more common than warranty-related problems. And no warranty can protect you from theft. As a result many users have looked for third party insurance to try and protect themselves from loss.

Worth Avenue Group garnered a lot of attention at this year's MacWorld with their booth featuring a man methodically smashing iPhones with a hammer. According to Chris Holt at Macworld.com, they claim to cover the iPhone comprehensively, whether it has been dropped, stolen, or submerged in water or beer. According to their website, 80% of iPhone failures are due to an accident of some kind, and accidents are not covered by AppleCare. The annual premiums range from $55 US for an 8GB iPhone 3G or earlier to $79 for a top of the line 32GB 3GS. In addition to iPhones and other cell phones, Worth Avenue also covers laptops, cameras, game systems, and cell phones.

Square Trade also does extended warranties for iPhones and other products: they covered the MacBook I got off eBay. A SquareTrade offers an iPhone warranty to be purchased with your new iPhone, though it covers your iPhone for 2 years, as opposed to 1 year for AppleCare. The website shows annual premiums of $96 for an 8GB iPhone, $120 for a 16GB, and $144 for a 32GB. SquareTrade's warrranty does have a $50 deductible, though, unless the problem is covered by the Apple iPhone warranty (for things like a mechanical or electrical failure). SquareTrade, like Worth Avenue's insurance, says it also protects against drops, spills, and other accidents.however, says that the warranty "does not include loss, willful damage or damage occurring through gross misuse of the item. The damage must have occurred unintentionally while the item was being used as intended." That seems to exclude the I-hit-it-with-a-hammer claim. However, SquareTrade does say that if the iPhone battery life drops below 50% of the original, it's eligible for a replacement.

What's not clear is whether any insurer has coverage for iPhone envy. Carmi Korine, a director at Supercover Insurance in the UK, says that insurance claims for lost, stolen or damaged iPhones soar whenever Apple releases a new model. "While most customers take out insurance because they value their iPhone, we started to notice increases in claims as new and upgraded iPhones were launched - for short periods around new model or upgrade launches, claims for lost, stolen or damaged iPhones go through the roof," Korine says. The kinds of supposedly 'accidental' iPhone damage the insurance company had been called upon to cover included hammer marks, heel imprints, toilet bleach and "fire damage which the claimant found very difficult to explain."

image via Flickr/magerleagues (Creative Commons license)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Mbeck0265 (02-15-2010)

Thanks
    primero

doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Thanks

um, spend 30 on a nice looking case, that's what i did for mine. not only does it look nice (it's cloth backing with a neat stripe design), but it only adds like 3% thickness.

and it's been dropped at every which angle, and it's fine.

as for taking a hammer to it, and having it fall in the toilet, who shits with their iphone in their backpocket?

Thanks
    yeah, a nice otterbox does mine justice. once I smashed the face one time, I had to find a way to protect it.
    still tho, if it gets stolen? thats a good feature for insurance. especially once I buy the 3gs now that I'm eligible for the upgrade.

lol, nobody shits with it in their back pocket, its always in their hands.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

interesting...

Thanks

I wonder how many more claims will come up when the 4G is released?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (02-14-2010)

Thanks

Sounds nice..... cause it really sucks when you damage your phone or it gets stolen cause you end up paying near retail because of stupid carrier pricing.

Thanks

The square trade plan is not worth it bc calculating the cost of the insurance ($144) and the deductible ($50) puts you in the range of what a new phone would cost and almost doubles the cost of repair.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    um, spend 30 on a nice looking case, that's what i did for mine. not only does it look nice (it's cloth backing with a neat stripe design), but it only adds like 3% thickness.

and it's been dropped at every which angle, and it's fine.

as for taking a hammer to it, and having it fall in the toilet, who shits with their iphone in their backpocket?
    Having an iPhone case does not prevent against theft which one of those companies supports. Having a case does help against the minor scratches but what if one day it does get damage? What will you do then?

But this is definitely worth looking into. I'm going to check that company out. Square Trade is too expensive.

Thanks

Hmm... I wonder if your iPhone had MobileMe and you used that service to find a stolen iPhone, would you be able to sue that person? o.o

But, these insurance I might get when the new iPhone/iPod Touch comes out.

Thanks

Best Buy already offers this option if you buy from them. Bought my 3G from them in '08 and they offered comprehensive insurance for $17 a month. Its added to your phone bill but its thru them. I didn't get it but my friend did and he later jumped in the ocean with his iPhone still in his pocket and BB gave him a new one, no questions asked.

Thanks

i agree the iphone is an investment

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Make's MobileMe's Find My iPhone service useless.

Why would I want to spend more to get my iPhone back when there's a chance I won't, and it might be in worse condition than I had it before it was stolen, when I can just get a brand new iPhone?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

With mobile me you can get them arrested, actually just by tracking the GPS you can track anyone who tries to steal it. This article is the best.

iPhone GPS Gets Robbers Arrested - Victim uses computer to track their movement - Softpedia

Thanks

I thought Farmers Insurance already gave coverage?

Thanks

I just bought that. 65.00 for a year is not bad at all...most insurnace companies through a cell service charge 5.00 a month so 5.41 is a steal...and the best thing is I have 5 32GB iphones on my account for my family and if I lose 1 of those I can use that insurnace for that phone...they are not tied to individual phones.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I have 3 bank accounts here in the UK and each provide me free mobile phone insurance, and that includes the iPhone.

In fact over a year a go I had to claim on my 2G iPhone....sent in the details with my receipt. They then paid out for the cost of a newer 3G iPhone.

Sweet...I think we seem to get a better deal in the UK over mobile phones than in the US.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I know if you by it at Best Buy and pay the $10/month insurance they will cover any and all damage. No theft of course. If you have homeowner's/renter's insurance you should be covered under theft as well. I have not used it with iPhone, but years back I lost a blackberry (which would be considered a paperweight in today's standards) and I was able to get it replaced within a week.

If you break your phone and take it into Apple, they will replace it for you for contract price as well(no resigning the contract, just pay what you did for the phone when you signed the contract).

Quote Originally Posted by iDeadman View Post
    With mobile me you can get them arrested, actually just by tracking the GPS you can track anyone who tries to steal it. This article is the best.

iPhone GPS Gets Robbers Arrested - Victim uses computer to track their movement - Softpedia
    Frankly I wouldn't count on this. Sure it can happen, but this is in no way insurance.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-14-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it...Worth the money to me!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iDeadman View Post

Does mobileme work with an iTunes account or does it map to a specific phone? I have always wondered if someone intelligent stole a phone and turned it off until they reflashed it, would they still be able ot map its movement on the MobileMe page or is it gone?