Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Your iPhone Could Save Your Life

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Your iPhone Could Save Your Life

Ever since a man buried under rubble after the Haitian earthquake used an iPhone to treat his injuries, interest has spread in how people can use mobile phones to save lives during emergencies. A number of apps are already available that provide first aid instructions, including one that allows emergency responders to get important information about your health conditions in case you are unable to communicate. And at the Mobile Monday Amsterdam conference in the Netherlands, an emergency physician from Croatia demonstrated a device which he created that uses the iPhone to help people do safer, more effective CPR, as The Unofficial Apple Weblog reports.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-E-B3Pc8mk&feature=player_embedded"]Dr. Ivan Kovic's device[/ame], which is not yet available for sale, is a plastic cradle that holds an iPhone or iPod touch, and is shaped to give greater leverage while doing chest compressions for CPR, avoiding fatigue. The iPhone sits in a specially designed mount on the cradle which gives an unobstructed view of the PocketCPR app to guide the emergency responder, with visual and audio cues, through the CPR process. The device is not meant for laypeople, Dr. Kovic says, but is rather intended to help medical professionals to safely administer CPR, or as an aid in training emergency responders how to do the process correctly.

In circumstances where an iPhone user may be feeling ill and on the verge of unconsciousness, the EMS Options smart-ICE (In Case of Emergency) app can call 911 with a single tap, and broadcast a loud alert tone every two minutes afterwards to help wake the user up if they pass out, or to help emergency personnel find them. Much like the MedicAlert system in the US, the app stores all of a user's critical health information - like an emergency contact, medications used, allergies, etc. - and can "speak for" people who are unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate.

US filmmaker Dan Woolley, who was shooting a video about poverty in Haiti when the earthquake happened, used instructions from an iPhone first-aid app to make a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound. The iPhone kept Woolley from falling asleep, which could have been dangerous as he went into shock, so he set his cellphone’s alarm clock to go off every 20 minutes. He was rescued after 65 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

US filmmaker Dan Woolley, who was shooting a video about poverty in Haiti when the earthquake happened, used instructions from an iPhone first-aid app to make a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound. The iPhone kept Woolley from falling asleep, which could have been dangerous as he went into shock, so he set his cellphone’s alarm clock to go off every 20 minutes. He was rescued after 65 hours.

That's some real **** right there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

this is getting dumb..

This chap whoever he is probably didn't have anything else installed on his phone other than the first-aid thing, and I bet he didn't have wifi, 3G or bluetooth on...my phone hardly even lasts 48hrs from full! How could he manage 65?

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow...That's just retarded.
    People are gonna die because of this.
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    This chap whoever he is probably didn't have anything else installed on his phone other than the first-aid thing, and I bet he didn't have wifi, 3G or bluetooth on...my phone hardly even lasts 48hrs from full! How could he manage 65?
    From Apple:

Power and battery3
    Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time:
    Up to 12 hours on 2G
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 30 hours

From Apple link from 3 after standby time: All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off.

That will mean that iPhone had phone on as that is default. I'm sure a few apps and stuff couldn't affect the standby time by over 200 hours!

All information from Apple's website: Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications and Apple - iPhone - Battery Test Information
    Last edited by hackint0uch; 02-13-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Some people...
    @ hackintouch - I've had the iphone for long enough and I'm well aware of the data posted on apples pages, and I sincerely don't believe anyone who is even a half-decent user can achieve close to those times unless they're lying! Test conditions are not the same in the real world, period!!

Bear in mind that the guy would just have been through a traumatic experience, and obviously without power (except whatever was left on the phone), using this 'one' app to give himself first-aid, and would most probably have tried to contact friends or family to alert them of his location...all of which would inevitably deplete whatever charge he had on his phone...it's not rocket science deducing thses things...

Tell you what, do a test. Put your sim in a different phone for the duration of the test, after fully charging your iphone and set your alarm to ring every 20mins (don't even use any app except maybe your emails, and don't make or receive calls on it) and see how long it lasts...
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 02-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.

I'm not sure about my iPhone battery, most of the time it's plugged in! But when it runs out I go mad, I can't live! I guess my over 200 apps won't help (thanks for that app I can't remember the name of that gives you more pages for apps, I don't like categories). I recently made an iPhone and other USB device charger, uses 8 D batteries lasts a long time (in theory about 5 days? I lost my calculations )

Thanks

iPhones have magic
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree about the battery, ill tell you injured or not i wouldnt sit there for 3 days and not do anything with my iphone except the alarm. And thats if it would even last that long just running alarms
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

I died reading this

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    I died reading this

rrrrinnnng!!! that's your iphone alarm bringing you back to life!
    So tell us, what's it like on the other side? Do they use iphones there too?
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 02-14-2010 at 02:42 AM.

This is just about the dumbest thing created for the iPhone. As a Firefighter/Paramedic I could not even imagine using this device. The reasons

1. If as a medical responder I need a device such as this to assist me in doing CPR than I need to have some more training.

2. I have done CPR at least 50 times in the past 16 years and working a CODE (Dead Person) is a messy ordeal. I would not want a device that can not be decontaminated in that environment (especially my own device).

3. There are automatic CPR device that many EMS agencies are using now to provide better CPR than what a human can do. (Auto Pulse)

4. The drawback to this device is if one arm is stronger than the other you will not be delivering the adequate depth of compression. It will sort of slip of the side and not compress the chest and therefore the heart appropriately.

5. I just think this thing is stupid!

If you have never taken a CPR course, TAKE ONE!! CPR does save lives. With the new technology and techniques for EMS providers early CPR is even more important than ever. Even as a Paramedic we do not "shock" the heart until we have done 200 chest compressions. To do do compressions at the proper rate you just need to remember that great BeeGee hit Staying Alive. Yeah kinda strange huh? Of course Another One Bites the Dust has pretty close to the same beats per minute so whatever you are in the mood to sing in your head, but its best to stay positive - Staying Alive.

weird
    killall Terminal[]

OK so here is the retard part of all the things the dude in the video says :
    1. If you work on an ambulance and you get a sick patient, you don't have time to search the phone for god knows what app.
    2. I presume that a paramedic or a doctor (or any other medical staff with training) knows the job well enough that he doesn't need a phone or an app to tell him what to do or not do.
    3. If a patient is in the ambulance don't you need to take care of him as soon as possible? I wonder what would all you ppl (that say this is a good idea) say if you where in an ambulance with a serious health problem and the paramedic would start poking around his iphone for answers he should already know.
    4. When it comes to theory it's nice but when it comes to real life drama it's retarded and stupid to do what the guy in the video says (turn to you iphone for help and support).
    5. Imagine that anyone could pretend to be a doctor because of some stupid apps and some ebooks, would you like that, would you like to be treated by a moron that has no clue what so ever about what he is doing?